I can't seem to find the culprit of the random ads showing up on my screen

Nut3llaaa

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Since I don't have developer options(on my galaxy s5) I only have I only have data usage but I want to find app usage but I guess my phone only has data usage which isnt helpful at all really and the only ones where I suspect them to be it are only att and samsung ones and theres one called "MyScript Resource Manager" but when I tap it I can't tap "view app settings" because I guess it isnt a app? I really dont know at all
I looked in misc. files and didnt really find anything at all atleast I dont think?
although I looked in "ALL" (apps) and it looks like theres a lot of suspicious things but I dont really know whats apart of the phone and what isnt

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's probably either malware you picked up from some site, or adware from some app you installed that's running in the background.

First, when you finish using an app, do not use the Home button. That doesn't end the app, it just runs the launcher - the app is still running. If the app is generating ads (perfectly legitimate - it's how some app developers get paid if the app is free), it's still generating ads when you "end it" with the Home button. Use the Back button to end an app.

Second, read [Guide] Malware / Adware / Popup Removal.

russ_andCent

Dec 4, 2016
Visit site
Since I don't have developer options(on my galaxy s5) I only have I only have data usage but I want to find app usage but I guess my phone only has data usage which isnt helpful at all really and the only ones where I suspect them to be it are only att and samsung ones and theres one called "MyScript Resource Manager" but when I tap it I can't tap "view app settings" because I guess it isnt a app? I really dont know at all
I looked in misc. files and didnt really find anything at all atleast I dont think?
although I looked in "ALL" (apps) and it looks like theres a lot of suspicious things but I dont really know whats apart of the phone and what isnt

A little late reply, haven't logged in here in ages...

MyScript Resource Manager is indeed app or at least a process. I have an S4 that I've had forever and for the first time ever, I notice that MSR was trying to connect out to TCP port 80 (HTTP) to an IP address associated with AT&T (I'm a T-Mo subscriber). My firewall was blocking it, so it made 3 attempts using 3 different IPs, all in the same range.

So - I sent a HEAD request to the HTTP service on one of the hosts and got back a 400 server response code. Server: CloudFront

No further probing was done.

It is indeed an app, listed in Application Manager ===> ALL.

MyScript Resource Manager 10.39 MB

Version 1.3.0

Perms:

Modify or delete the contents of your USB storage, as well as read.

Download files without notification (how nice!)

Full network access ( except I kinda put the hammer down :D )

View network Connections

I'm certain this came stock on the phone. ( T-Mo branded S4 )

I could easily enough route my phone's traffic through my desktop and since it's not using HTTPS, I would be able to see the traffic, unless they rolled their own crypto. The problem is, I doubt that I could navigate to it's location and start execution (It's already running), as the phone's not rooted.

I'm going to keep looking around for more info.

EDIT: FWIW, I'm not seeing any ads or pop-ups....

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary