Android phone just updated Chrome to version 69 and now, after less than 6 hours on, the battery usage for Chrome is at 30%, whereas, before the update, it would be 2 or 3 percent tops. This is crazy. Any one else experiencing this? I know the new version is just rolling out, so maybe many haven't gotten it yet bu, if this is typical, there are going to be a lot of angry Chrome users.
    09-07-2018 01:19 PM
    What phone do you have? No issues here after updating Chrome on two different phones. I noticed that they pushed two updates in less than two days so maybe there was some glitch in the first one, make sure to update to the latest version. If the problem persists you could go settings - apps - Chrome - force stop - clear cached data and restart the app.
    09-07-2018 01:29 PM
    It appears to be the most recent version (I'm on a Galaxy 5...new battery). Did as you suggested above...cleared cache and restarted. Cache now reads 32KB. The Usage Manager still shows it as 30%, probably because it was not recharged to 100%. I'll see what it does from here on....Thanks for the reply.
    09-07-2018 01:40 PM
    It appears to be the most recent version (I'm on a Galaxy 5...new battery). Did as you suggested above...cleared cache and restarted. Cache now reads 32KB. The Usage Manager still shows it as 30%, probably because it was not recharged to 100%. I'll see what it does from here on....Thanks for the reply.
    Yeah, still the same cycle so you won't see any difference. Reboot the phone, fully charge, use it normally and see what stats you get on the next battery cycle.
    09-07-2018 01:44 PM
    So it's been three hours...let it go up to 100%, restarted, everything reset....3 hours and Chrome at 10%.
    I'm thinking of swapping out batteries (you can do that on a Galaxy 5) and see if that matters, but I doubt it. So..you're not seeing anything like this on yours? I've gotten no other responses to posting here and on a couple of other forums.
    09-07-2018 05:23 PM
    Been a week or so now. Chrome was still draining at close to 20%, so I switched to the Samsung Internet app, which is just fine for what I use it. and I made it my default brower. It brought down battery consumption considerably, and nothing showed up in the Usage Manager. THe past couple of days. I've been spotting Chrome on the USage Manager, taking up 5-10% of battery. No biggie, but...why is it even showing up at all if I'm not using it? There was a new update for it this yesterday, which automatically downloaded. Could that be what's showing up on the Usage Mgr?
    09-12-2018 12:57 PM
    Chrome on Android: Every update is better than the next.
    09-12-2018 01:25 PM
    Been a week or so now. Chrome was still draining at close to 20%, so I switched to the Samsung Internet app, which is just fine for what I use it. and I made it my default brower. It brought down battery consumption considerably, and nothing showed up in the Usage Manager. THe past couple of days. I've been spotting Chrome on the USage Manager, taking up 5-10% of battery. No biggie, but...why is it even showing up at all if I'm not using it? There was a new update for it this yesterday, which automatically downloaded. Could that be what's showing up on the Usage Mgr?
    It's possible that usage is related to Android System Webview, included in Chrome after Nougat. Since you're using Internet instead of Chrome you could try this. Go to settings - apps - Chrome - clear data - disable/uninstall - restart the phone. This will enable the old Android System Webview app back, so search for it in the Play Store and make sure it's updated to the latest version. Use your phone normally and see what happens.
    09-12-2018 01:57 PM
    I do have Android System Webview on my phone. It does not currently appear in the Usage Manager, altho Chrome does, right now at 5% after 5 hours. Have tried the clearing data and disable thing - however, when the phone is turned back on in the AM, it restarts Chrome. Right now, it's stored cache is jus 1MB, and I cleared it. I don't think it can be uninstalled. But thanks for your reply. I don't see any other comments on forums about the battery draining problem, so it must be just me (or no one is noticing...).
    09-12-2018 02:25 PM
    I do have Android System Webview on my phone. It does not currently appear in the Usage Manager, altho Chrome does, right now at 5% after 5 hours. Have tried the clearing data and disable thing - however, when the phone is turned back on in the AM, it restarts Chrome. Right now, it's stored cache is jus 1MB, and I cleared it. I don't think it can be uninstalled. But thanks for your reply. I don't see any other comments on forums about the battery draining problem, so it must be just me (or no one is noticing...).
    Sorry for the late reply, didn't notice your post until now. Yeah, I haven't seen a similar report about Chrome. What android version do you have? MM or Nougat?
    09-15-2018 12:01 PM
    Since yours is the ONLY reply, no worry, no comments from anyone else on any forum.
    Friday, Chrome used up 20% battery with my not using it. Forced a close several times during day.
    Yesterday, after 18 hours on, Chrome did not even show on the battery percentage.
    This morning, turned phone on, forced close of Chrome app....been on for two hours at this point, and Chrome is showing 5% usage. I'm on Android 6.0.01, whatever candy designation that is. And the Chrome version is 69.0.3497.91.
    The only thing I have NOT done is disable Chrome (I can't uninstall it). Not sure if that would screw up Chrome or any other Google services on my other devices. I've posted on the Chrome help sites, with no responses.
    BTW, there is another Android device in my family....it has NOT updated to the Chrome 69 version (and doesn't even offer it in the Play store), and it is running just fine.
    09-16-2018 09:43 AM
    The only thing I have NOT done is disable Chrome (I can't uninstall it). Not sure if that would screw up Chrome or any other Google services on my other devices. I've posted on the Chrome help sites, with no responses.
    You can safely disable Chrome if you don't use it, don't worry. Go to settings - apps - Chrome - force stop - clear data - disable - confirm. After this just make sure that Android System Webview is enabled and updated.
    09-16-2018 10:16 AM
    I'm going to move your thread to the S5 forum and see if we can get more feedback. It's an old device and there's no much traffic over there, but worth a try.
    09-16-2018 10:26 AM
    Javier-
    Thanks... in the meantime, I've had the phone on for an hour so, Chrome now up to 5%. So I tried to DISABLE it. It then asks me if I want to install the "Factory Version" of Chrome. My selections are either CANCEL or OK. If I click cancel, it does not disable. Since I don't want the factory version, I didn't click OK. So...how do I disable? Am I missing something here?
    09-17-2018 09:26 AM
    I just noticed in the Chrome app manager, there is a sort-of-hidden option to uninstall updates. Does that do what it says...install previous updates? Maybe I could try that...?
    09-17-2018 09:51 AM
    Javier-
    Thanks... in the meantime, I've had the phone on for an hour so, Chrome now up to 5%. So I tried to DISABLE it. It then asks me if I want to install the "Factory Version" of Chrome. My selections are either CANCEL or OK. If I click cancel, it does not disable. Since I don't want the factory version, I didn't click OK. So...how do I disable? Am I missing something here?
    Yeah, that's normal, don't worry about the message and click OK. If you want to use Chrome in the future you'll just need to enable it back and update it from the Play Store.
    09-17-2018 11:04 AM
    I have (finally) disabled Chrome from my phone, and the daily battery usage has at least doubled. I am, naturally, pleased, and can't believe that Chrome would drain the battery that much. Anyway, I appreciate your help with this. Thanks.
    Javier P likes this.
    09-18-2018 01:52 PM