Run 2 phones simultaneously.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
And that is just how SIM cards work. One number, one SIM. Done. The only way you can get the same phone number for calls and/or texts in different devices is if your number isn't tied to the carrier and instead uses a virtual one (like Google Voice). This doesn't tie directly with the phone, usually, and needs an additional app for it to work on different devices. But for instance, if you do have a Google Voice number, you can get your calls and texts on a device with the Voice app installed (and logged into your Google account, of course) or even a web browser.

T-Mobile does something similar with DIGITS (not a lot of devices are supported, however, and their web interface can be buggy). Verizon does it for messaging with Messages+ (not sure if that supports calls, haven't been on Verizon for a while).

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Call me crazy but I asked my service provider, Telcel, if I could have two phones with the same numbers. I said I wanted to be able to carry one today and a different one tomorrow.

The answer was, "No. Can't be done. One phone can have two numbers but one number cannot have two phones."

My nephew had a phone stolen recently and he was concerned that someone was getting text messages and calls from his friends. I said, "I wish, then we might catch the SOB. But, I got his new SIM with his old number and the ISP said if the old SIM was being used it was shut down.
There is an exception to the rule but it's limited to the Verizon Messaging app on Verizon. It only works on smart devices and if Verizon Messaging is installed on at least two devices. I have the SIM card in Android and linked to iPad and iPhone. I make and answer calls on linked devices. One SIM, One number

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm planning on taking the phone to Verizon to have them change the SIM card. If I do that, how can I control which phone the call goes to. Remember, she wants to continue to receive calls on the LG 6100.,and use the S5 for text messages and the Assistant. I know that if she would abandon the LG 6100 for the Samsung Galaxy S5, there would be no problem. Your advice please.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm planning on taking the phone to Verizon to have them change the SIM card. If I do that, how can I control which phone the call goes to. Remember, she wants to continue to receive calls on the LG 6100.,and use the S5 for text messages and the Assistant. I know that if she would abandon the LG 6100 for the Samsung Galaxy S5, there would be no problem. Your advice please.

That'll be tricky, but possible using Messages+. HOWEVER, you would need a second line for the S5 with voice and data. She would have a second phone number. That might complicate things for you. BUT if this is OK, and the device is supported by Messages+, then you could do what you want with texting on both phones (through the app on the S5, NOT the stock app, so you couldn't use Textra except for the SIM number in the phone).

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You can't do it with the flip phone....end of story

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
That'll be tricky, but possible using Messages+. HOWEVER, you would need a second line for the S5 with voice and data. She would have a second phone number. That might complicate things for you. BUT if this is OK, and the device is supported by Messages+, then you could do what you want with texting on both phones (through the app on the S5, NOT the stock app, so you couldn't use Textra except for the SIM number in the phone).
Verizon Messaging allows you to make phone calls from linked devices but not flip phones

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
That's it. I'm not going to try to make her happy with her Techniphobic problem. I'll just let her muddle along with that relic of a phone of hers. Thanks for all your help and patience with me.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I moved up to a Pixel 3 but still have a Samsung Galaxy S5. I want to give it to my wife. She has a flip phone and for whatever reason, she refuses to move to a smartphone. She's Techniphobic yet she grabs my phone to do text messages and ask questions. I'm thinking of taking the S5, changing the phone number to hers in Textra and Google, and uninstalling all the other apps. What do you think?

Um what do you mean "change the phone number to here in Textra and Google"?

In order for her to be able to send texts from her number on that phone, her active SIM needs to be in that phone.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Or just break her flip phone... worked for my mom ;)

I'd love to but she won't let me near the phone for just that reason. I'll just make it more of a hassle for her to use my Pixel. She's using my phone more and more. She'll get tired of it. It's amazing that the phone still works after 10 years. Thanks for understanding.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084