08-02-2019 07:00 AM
33 12
tools
    I moved up to a Pixel 3 but still have a Samsung Galaxy S5. I want to give it to my wife. She has a flip phone and for whatever reason, she refuses to move to a smartphone. She's Techniphobic yet she grabs my phone to do text messages and ask questions. I'm thinking of taking the S5, changing the phone number to hers in Textra and Google, and uninstalling all the other apps. What do you think?
    07-20-2019 09:58 AM
    Tried that with my mom (because no one makes flip phones anymore). Get ready for a lot of butt dials, questions about touch screens and in-purse voicemails.

(Also don't do anything without her permission)
    07-20-2019 11:30 AM
    I think she might use it for those 2 tasks, text messages and use the Assistant to ask web questions. If she wants to do more, like use the phone for calls, then I'll set it up differently. Thanks for your interest
    07-20-2019 12:20 PM
    If she's not so tech-savvy, you might want to consider enabling the phone's Easy mode (or even Kids mode).
    07-20-2019 12:55 PM
    I know mthat she is determined to continue using her flip phone for calls. She's used to using my phone for text messages and use the Assistant. I'll disable the phone for calls. If she wants to use the S5 as a phone, I'll set it up. Thanks again.
    07-20-2019 01:20 PM
    You can't keep both of them on the same number, though, unless they use the same size SIM card or you get the smaller sized one and an adapter to the larger size (a complete set is about a buck on eBay), and you're willing to keep switching it back and forth for her. Or she just uses the S5 on WiFi.
    07-20-2019 03:53 PM
    I'm sorry. I thought I mentioned that I was going to put her phone number on Textra and Google. Will that work without setting up a Google account. If so, I will have to ask her for her password. I wanted to set up the S5 and then surprise her. I know initially she might use it for those 2 tasks. What do you think?
    07-20-2019 04:17 PM
    What he means is that you can set the phone like you want but the older phone will not work with the same number. Whatever phone has the SIM in it will.
    07-21-2019 11:09 AM
    I'm confused, which lately is often. Are you saying that her old flip phone will interfere if I send a text message to the S5?
    07-21-2019 12:32 PM
    I'm confused, which lately is often. Are you saying that her old flip phone will interfere if I send a text message to the S5?
    You can only use one phone per line. You could use the S5 for email without a card but not texting
    SpookDroid likes this.
    07-21-2019 12:36 PM
    What he means is that you can set the phone like you want but the older phone will not work with the same number. Whatever phone has the SIM in it will.
    So your saying that the S5 sim must be changed from my number to hers. Can I change the sim?
    07-21-2019 01:23 PM
    So your saying that the S5 sim must be changed from my number to hers. Can I change the sim?
    You may have to get a different SIM since they are probably a different size
    SpookDroid likes this.
    07-21-2019 01:25 PM
    Yeah if you want texts and calls to be made with her number. And like the above comment states, SIM card sizes are probably different so you'd have to get a new one in the correct size for HER number.
    07-21-2019 01:32 PM
    Oh, so I guess my idea won't work. Her LP flip phone sim is probably not the same size. When she decides she wants a new phone, I'll take them to Verizon and have them take care of it. They are both Verizon phones.
    Thanks for all your help. You prevented me from making an fool of myself
    07-21-2019 02:45 PM
    Oh, so I guess my idea won't work. Her LP flip phone sim is probably not the same size. When she decides she wants a new phone, I'll take them to Verizon and have them take care of it. They are both Verizon phones.
    Thanks for all your help. You prevented me from making an fool of myself
    It's not the same size, but that shouldn't matter. IF you wanna make the change, you can set up the new phone with a new SIM (just call Verizon and they can ship you a new one in the right size), get everything to how you want it on the new phone (with the new SIM BUT still without her number), including (if you have her password) the Google Account and preferences, and then when you're ready to switch, just a call to Verizon and they can transfer her phone number to the new SIM card. Done.

(You'd only have to figure out the best way to transfer the old text messages, should you want to keep them, into the new phone... if the device is too old, however, since the SIM cards aren't the same size, that might not be possible or would only be possible via Bluetooth, which in some devices has to be done painstakingly message by message).
    07-29-2019 03:21 PM
    I doubt that old flip phone even has a SIM card in it. CDMA phones don't need SIM cards. Only the newer phones with LTE need and have SIM card.

As for SIM card size, there is zero problem trim the card down all the way to micro SiM card size. They are tools out there to do that easily. Or you can just request a new one from your carrier.
    07-30-2019 08:34 AM
    I know that I'm a pest but I have 1 more question. My wife still wants to use the LG 6100 for phone calls. If I make the change, will Text messages go to the Samsung and phone calls to the LG? Thanks for your patience.
    07-30-2019 05:35 PM
    I know that I'm a pest but I have 1 more question. My wife still wants to use the LG 6100 for phone calls. If I make the change, will Text messages go to the Samsung and phone calls to the LG? Thanks for your patience.
    You can only use one device per line for both phone calls and text
    SpookDroid likes this.
    07-30-2019 05:40 PM
    You can only use one device per line for both phone calls and text
    I guess I'll just have to convince her to abandon her lg 6100.
    07-30-2019 09:30 PM
    Call me crazy but I asked my service provider, Telcel, if I could have two phones with the same numbers. I said I wanted to be able to carry one today and a different one tomorrow.

The answer was, "No. Can't be done. One phone can have two numbers but one number cannot have two phones."

My nephew had a phone stolen recently and he was concerned that someone was getting text messages and calls from his friends. I said, "I wish, then we might catch the SOB. But, I got his new SIM with his old number and the ISP said if the old SIM was being used it was shut down.
    07-31-2019 05:22 AM
    And that is just how SIM cards work. One number, one SIM. Done. The only way you can get the same phone number for calls and/or texts in different devices is if your number isn't tied to the carrier and instead uses a virtual one (like Google Voice). This doesn't tie directly with the phone, usually, and needs an additional app for it to work on different devices. But for instance, if you do have a Google Voice number, you can get your calls and texts on a device with the Voice app installed (and logged into your Google account, of course) or even a web browser.

T-Mobile does something similar with DIGITS (not a lot of devices are supported, however, and their web interface can be buggy). Verizon does it for messaging with Messages+ (not sure if that supports calls, haven't been on Verizon for a while).
    07-31-2019 11:39 AM
    Call me crazy but I asked my service provider, Telcel, if I could have two phones with the same numbers. I said I wanted to be able to carry one today and a different one tomorrow.

The answer was, "No. Can't be done. One phone can have two numbers but one number cannot have two phones."

My nephew had a phone stolen recently and he was concerned that someone was getting text messages and calls from his friends. I said, "I wish, then we might catch the SOB. But, I got his new SIM with his old number and the ISP said if the old SIM was being used it was shut down.
    There is an exception to the rule but it's limited to the Verizon Messaging app on Verizon. It only works on smart devices and if Verizon Messaging is installed on at least two devices. I have the SIM card in Android and linked to iPad and iPhone. I make and answer calls on linked devices. One SIM, One number
    07-31-2019 02:09 PM
    I'm planning on taking the phone to Verizon to have them change the SIM card. If I do that, how can I control which phone the call goes to. Remember, she wants to continue to receive calls on the LG 6100.,and use the S5 for text messages and the Assistant. I know that if she would abandon the LG 6100 for the Samsung Galaxy S5, there would be no problem. Your advice please.
    07-31-2019 02:12 PM
    I'm planning on taking the phone to Verizon to have them change the SIM card. If I do that, how can I control which phone the call goes to. Remember, she wants to continue to receive calls on the LG 6100.,and use the S5 for text messages and the Assistant. I know that if she would abandon the LG 6100 for the Samsung Galaxy S5, there would be no problem. Your advice please.
    That'll be tricky, but possible using Messages+. HOWEVER, you would need a second line for the S5 with voice and data. She would have a second phone number. That might complicate things for you. BUT if this is OK, and the device is supported by Messages+, then you could do what you want with texting on both phones (through the app on the S5, NOT the stock app, so you couldn't use Textra except for the SIM number in the phone).
    07-31-2019 02:25 PM
    You can't do it with the flip phone....end of story
    07-31-2019 02:40 PM
33 12