tools
    The Verge's list:

1. It's water resistant and shock proof
    2. The battery is enormous
    3. It has an extra shortcut button
    4. It stays cool under pressure
    5. It's only $10 more than the normal version
    6. It has the same performance and camera as the S6

And then they go here--Six reasons to get the Galaxy S6 instead of the Galaxy S6 Active

1. The Active is really ugly
    2. The Active is all plastic instead of glass and metal
    3. The Active doesn't have a fingerprint scanner
    4. The Active only comes in a 32 GB model
    5. The Active is only available through AT&T
    6. Updates for the Active model will come slower, if they come at all

Six reasons to get the Samsung Galaxy S6 Active | The Verge
    06-16-2015 02:38 PM
    I disagree with #s 1, 2, and 3 under the section "reasons to get the Galaxy S6 instead of the Galaxy S6 Active" in that they call those negatives. The active itself isn't an ugly phone. I agree that the camo is really ugly (what were you thinking, Samsung???). But the overall aesthetic of the phone is pretty standard. When is a phone supposed to be pretty?

Is it really a problem the phone is made of plastic? Why is a phone considered premium if it's made of glass and metal? Glass, to me, is less durable than plastic. Besides, most of us put on a huge plastic case on the phone anyways. In that case, does it really matter if it's "premium"?

And with the fingerprint scanner, that's a non-issue for me. It worked about 1/2 the time anyways when I had the S6.
    Phoneguy108 likes this.
    06-16-2015 02:39 PM
    I haven't owned a Samsung phone since the Note II, have been through a few Nexus phones, LG, and Motorola. Current phone has been a nexus 6, I was at the AT&T store and haven't bought a carrier phone in a couple of years, I was pretty impressed with the S6 Active and they had one in gray without the camo effect, so I picked one up to use as a work phone. So far I'm pretty happy with it, screen is really good, phone seems pretty fast, not experiencing any lag, camera is more than good enough, the only thing I noticed is the sound out of the speaker on the back is to low even at max volume. As a disclaimer I have a problem hearing, but I was always able to find a ring tone and a notification tone loud enough to hear, but not on the S6 active. Other than that, no complaints.

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-16-2015 02:52 PM
    The Verge's list:

And then they go here--Six reasons to get the Galaxy S6 instead of the Galaxy S6 Active

Thus is one reason to get it but I still love my s6 edge.

Attached Thumbnails Six reasons to get the Samsung Galaxy S6 Active-344.jpg   Six reasons to get the Samsung Galaxy S6 Active-345.jpg   Six reasons to get the Samsung Galaxy S6 Active-346.jpg   Six reasons to get the Samsung Galaxy S6 Active-347.jpg   Six reasons to get the Samsung Galaxy S6 Active-348.jpg  

06-16-2015 09:12 PM
    The Verge's list:

I just got my Active yesterday and I am really starting to like it. The more I use it, the more I like it.

I had the LG g4 which I returned due to a hardware problem which happened overnight. Up until then I was exceedingly happy with it and had no desire to buy this phone or any Samsung phone, truth be told.

I had read all about all of the issues the s6 was having and decided without ever using one that I didn't like it,which was pretty petty on my part I know but this phone has changed my entire outlook on the s6 and of the improvement Samsung has made with TouchWiz.

The g4 is a awesome phone, it has the removable battery and the removable sd card, but from what I have recently learned the latter can be overcomed with a removable otg drive and with this phones huge battery being removable may not be such a big deal after all. It still worries me some after having my m8 die... But we'll wait and see for now.

I feel like the op, in that this phone really isn't ugly. I feel that this phone will retain it's appearance longer than the regular s6.I saw the month old demo phone at the AT&T store... Sheese it's glass back was scratched ATH... This phone in black has the look that many people strive for... Stealthy... Black Ops.. I like it...it's totally different from the g4..and unique in it's own right.

All in all this version of the s6 just has a lot going for it and doesn't speak of elegance and beauty.. It speaks of strength and durability.

I know that there are many more people capable of singing the phones praises than myself, but think people need to get a grip on their own biases and look at what other people need or want or like in a phone... This one allows me to not worry about screwing up a beautiful leather back if my working man's hands are dirty or greasy from working on the truck or in the yard.

Sorry for the rant

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active
    anon(5630457) and pjniez like this.
    06-16-2015 11:30 PM
    I disagree with #s 1, 2, and 3 under the section "reasons to get the Galaxy S6 instead of the Galaxy S6 Active" in that they call those negatives. The active itself isn't an ugly phone. I agree that the camo is really ugly (what were you thinking, Samsung???). But the overall aesthetic of the phone is pretty standard. When is a phone supposed to be pretty?

Is it really a problem the phone is made of plastic? Why is a phone considered premium if it's made of glass and metal? Glass, to me, is less durable than plastic. Besides, most of us put on a huge plastic case on the phone anyways. In that case, does it really matter if it's "premium"?

And with the fingerprint scanner, that's a non-issue for me. It worked about 1/2 the time anyways when I had the S6.
    I agree 100%
    The camo isn't very attractive in my opinion but I love the look of the plain black version.
    anon(5630457) likes this.
    06-17-2015 12:40 AM
    I haven't owned a Samsung phone since the Note II, have been through a few Nexus phones, LG, and Motorola. Current phone has been a nexus 6, I was at the AT&T store and haven't bought a carrier phone in a couple of years, I was pretty impressed with the S6 Active and they had one in gray without the camo effect, so I picked one up to use as a work phone. So far I'm pretty happy with it, screen is really good, phone seems pretty fast, not experiencing any lag, camera is more than good enough, the only thing I noticed is the sound out of the speaker on the back is to low even at max volume. As a disclaimer I have a problem hearing, but I was always able to find a ring tone and a notification tone loud enough to hear, but not on the S6 active. Other than that, no complaints.

I agree I wish it was louder. My Note 2 sounds better...
    06-17-2015 12:43 AM
    I agree I wish it was louder. My Note 2 sounds better...
    This may sound stupid, but did you turn the volume up in the settings? Once I did it made mine significantly louder.

06-17-2015 06:27 AM
    This may sound stupid, but did you turn the volume up in the settings? Once I did it made mine significantly louder.

Yep first thing I do is turn the ringer and notification volumes up to max, and then look online for a loud enough ring tone, I found a couple and a text message tone that are both loud enough and not stupid or juvenile sounding as not to get ridiculed when my phone rings at work :-)

06-17-2015 07:04 AM
    I know this is a silly thing but I thought it was kind of cool, I keep the stock clock app on my home page for setting alarms and just realized that the app is actually a working analog clock that uses the system time.

06-17-2015 07:58 AM
    Yep first thing I do is turn the ringer and notification volumes up to max, and then look online for a loud enough ring tone, I found a couple and a text message tone that are both loud enough and not stupid or juvenile sounding as not to get ridiculed when my phone rings at work :-)

I know that Zedge has some incredibly loud ring tones. I'll find the ones that I normally use at work. I need very loud ones too when I take readings in the machine rooms and work in them.

My g4 I took back was loud, but this one is every bit as loud... Loud enough that my wife yelled at me to turn it down while I was watching it outside of the house.. seriously... I'm pretty impressed with the speaker and the fact that it can even go louder on the speaker phone thanks to the switch on the dialer.

06-17-2015 08:05 AM
    Sorry for the rant
    No. Your rant was spot-on. I don't like how the industry tells us what is premium in a device. Glass? Really? That's a premium material? Glass, to everyone, evokes the vision of frailty, of something that breaks easily. I like knowing that my S6 Active isn't going to get scratched easily if I use it without a case.
    Phoneguy108 likes this.
    06-17-2015 10:46 AM
    With the much larger battery and stronger protective build, I'd buy this today if I wasn't on Verizon with a long time UDP in place!

Even though I prefer a removable battery, and am waiting to see the upcoming Note 5... though if it's gigantic I might have to pass...

The S6 Active looks to be a really neat phone, especially for folks like me who are in rural and mountain areas a lot.
    06-17-2015 11:55 AM
    With the much larger battery and stronger protective build, I'd buy this today if I wasn't on Verizon with a long time UDP in place!

Even though I prefer a removable battery, and am waiting to see the upcoming Note 5... though if it's gigantic I might have to pass...

The S6 Active looks to be a really neat phone, especially for folks like me who are in rural and mountain areas a lot.
    I think this phone would be great for you.

06-17-2015 12:46 PM
    No. Your rant was spot-on. I don't like how the industry tells us what is premium in a device. Glass? Really? That's a premium material? Glass, to everyone, evokes the vision of frailty, of something that breaks easily. I like knowing that my S6 Active isn't going to get scratched easily if I use it without a case.
    Riddle me this...

If the regular s6 is the premium build, why does this one cost more?

Photon4glover likes this.
    06-17-2015 12:48 PM
    Riddle me this...

Touche.
    06-17-2015 12:53 PM
    So I have had my S6 Edge for a couple of days now and although I really like it for the most part I cant stand the battery drain. Yesterday I made it almost 10 hrs before it was so depleted that the screen lighting pretty much shut down completely (and power save was off). And although the edge thing is kind of "neat" I dont see myself using it much if at all.

So I am thinking of taking it back to AT&T and going to the active. Other then loosing some storage space (that I probably wont use anyway), a finger print scanner and some glass and metal is there really anything else that would make my decision a bad one ?

I live in the Pacific Northwest and we get a lot of rain so being water resilient is a huge plus oh and I have 3 kids so more durable is always better.
    06-17-2015 01:08 PM
    Design, fingerprint scanner and storage options is it for losses. The pluses far outweigh those things to me though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    06-17-2015 01:18 PM
    So I have had my S6 Edge for a couple of days now and although I really like it for the most part I cant stand the battery drain. Yesterday I made it almost 10 hrs before it was so depleted that the screen lighting pretty much shut down completely (and power save was off). And although the edge thing is kind of "neat" I dont see myself using it much if at all.

So I am thinking of taking it back to AT&T and going to the active. Other then loosing some storage space (that I probably wont use anyway), a finger print scanner and some glass and metal is there really anything else that would make my decision a bad one ?

I live in the Pacific Northwest and we get a lot of rain so being water resilient is a huge plus oh and I have 3 kids so more durable is always better.
    I had the S6 regular and the battery would only last about 10 hours off the charger. Your decision will not be bad at all. The S6 active is perfect for those who live in rainy weather and for those who have kids.
    06-17-2015 01:52 PM
    I had the S6 regular and the battery would only last about 10 hours off the charger. Your decision will not be bad at all. The S6 active is perfect for those who live in rainy weather and for those who have kids.
    Thats what I was thinking I had stopped in at the local AT&T and the guy there said the Edge is soo much better. When I asked why he said the resolution on the Edge was way better and that I may have gotten a bad phone as the battery should last way longer. However my research cant substantiate either of those claims.
    06-17-2015 02:26 PM
    Thats what I was thinking I had stopped in at the local AT&T and the guy there said the Edge is soo much better. When I asked why he said the resolution on the Edge was way better and that I may have gotten a bad phone as the battery should last way longer. However my research cant substantiate either of those claims.
    The S6 active and the edge both have the same screen resolution. That AT&T employee was full of...uh, crap.
    Photon4glover likes this.
    06-17-2015 03:00 PM
    Riddle me this...

You're paying for the battery

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    06-17-2015 08:01 PM

I just double checked the "sounds and notifications" > "volume" settings to see if there was anything else in there that would increase the "media" volume. Looks like there isn't. Thanks for the suggestion though.
    06-17-2015 10:42 PM
    Amen! Glass is just not practical for something you use daily in my opinion.
    06-17-2015 10:44 PM
    The S6 active and the edge both have the same screen resolution. That AT&T employee was full of...uh, crap.
    Indeed

Posted via my cool blue SAMSUNG-SM-G890A
    06-17-2015 10:44 PM
34 12