Galaxy S6 Active: What Device Did You Come From and Why?

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,

Just wondering what you all came from and what your decisions were on upgrading to the Active. For me, I upgraded from the Xperia Z3, mainly for the screen, camera and ruggedness however im still struggling between the $400 my Z3 is worth to sell and the $750 full price after tax the Active cost me. Love the S6 Active for everything except maybe touchwiz as I much still prefer stock android.

sly_1

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Came from my trusty old HTC One m7.

For me it came down to the z3 or the s6 active mostly because my main 2 concerns are battery life and durability. The active is meant to have a lot more drop/shock durability plus no covers for the charging port and headphone jack.

So far I'm loving the s6 Active, huge upgrade over my old m7 but really any modern phone would have been. I love only having to charge the thing every other day.

The main thing to me all these opinions about the phone being "ugly", at the end of the day I'm a man. I need a durable phone not a fashion accessory. My only regret is storage space - the camera is like 1000x better than my old m7 and it would be nice to ave an sd slot to handle storage duties.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I came directly from the LG g4.

I found a a antenna issue with my AT&T version and when I went to exchange it, found the same issue and 2 even worse on the 5 phones that the corporate store had on hand.

The guys at the store were dumbfounded.

I looked at everything else they had including the regular s6 and the edge and didn't like how scratched up the demo phones were and knew that I would have to cover up everything with a case... Coming from the g4 with it's leather back which I kept naked I really didn't want to hide the phone again...

So...I hadn't really paid much attention to the Active since the other siblings has gotten all the limelight, but seeing it in the store and doing a quick search on the phone showed me the potential this phone has. My salesperson tried to tell me that it was exactly the same as the regular s6 on it's battery size and after showing him and another salesperson the Google results were pretty happy about it.

Everyone puts so much emphasis on the "premium build" thing these days they forget about functionality for day to day usage. I know I am guilty of doing this at times especially as gaga over the g4 leather... And when I had that phone I always had the nagging deep down fear of dropping it or getting grease from work on the leather or getting inundated from water on the job or in the rain.

It's kinda weird that I had a sort of a epiphany when I first picked this phone up... that this phone while beautiful on the inside and it's display , was stealthy and rugged on the outside and I wouldn't have to worry about it anymore.

The battery size in this phone is amazing. The screen is amazing, the physical buttons are awesome. I work inside and out and hunt and fish and I don't have to worry about my phone or put it in a expensive waterproof case that is **** ugly.

I had these thoughts go through my head as I was standing there holding the phone with the salesperson talking to me.... I know kinda weird I know..

As pretty as the regular version are and even with the finger print scanner and larger memory options available... And with the beautiful leather and frigging awesome camera controls and larger screen the g4 has... I didn't hesitate and said I will take this one...

This is a awesome phone, and despite the fact that in many people's minds and from the various articles and forums post lamenting that it isn't a "premium build" there is no other phone like it today that truly offers as much as this one does.

Sure it's the ugly sister to those who put style above function but when they are crying about scratched backs and waterlogged phones we will still be using ours...

I love this phone for it's ruggedness and it's capabilities... and at the end of the day while others are seeking a charger or switching out batteries... My Active is still going strong.

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active

aximtreo

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I came from the Nokia ICON to the Note 4. Looked at the S5 but liked the larger screen and the pen capability.

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Did you do AT&T Next or full outright? I'm just as content with the phone as you, just having trouble justifying $750 right now when I know this next nexus coming out will grab my attention in a few months.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Did you do AT&T Next or full outright? I'm just as content with the phone as you, just having trouble justifying $750 right now when I know this next nexus coming out will grab my attention in a few months.

I went with the 12 / 18 Next plan. This way if they bring out a even better Active this time next year I'll be ready to go.

To me there will always be a "better" device ready to come out and I think I can be extremely happy with this phone for a year or longer to be honest...and with the improvement M is supposed to bring... That will take care of the little niggles we have now with lollipop

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I had the LG G4. I liked that phone, but it was too big and the knock code didn't work sometimes. I also had to really stretch my finger to press the volume up or power button on the back.

I got the S6 active because it has everything the S6 has plus water/dust/shock proofing. The S6 should have been this device.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Galaxy S6 Active

Photon4glover

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,

Just wondering what you all came from and what your decisions were on upgrading to the Active. For me, I upgraded from the Xperia Z3, mainly for the screen, camera and ruggedness however im still struggling between the $400 my Z3 is worth to sell and the $750 full price after tax the Active cost me. Love the S6 Active for everything except maybe touchwiz as I much still prefer stock android.
You could buy my S6A for only $610 ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Bkr11

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Have a Z1s and 1520. Still have both, but probably going to get rid of the Z1s. I have to admit that I do prefer the 1520/Windows Phone to Android, but the experience with the S6 Active is winning me over day by day. Great camera (my top priority), rugged and waterproof, no perceptible lag, and lastly no more app gap to think about (though that isn't a major deal to me). I do admit that I'll give Windows 10 Phone a whirl on the 1520 when it comes out, and if a true successor to the 1020 comes may buy that too. Lubs my gadgets ;-)

Posted via the Android Central App

Leoncio Zamora

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Came from my trusty old HTC One m7.

For me it came down to the z3 or the s6 active mostly because my main 2 concerns are battery life and durability. The active is meant to have a lot more drop/shock durability plus no covers for the charging port and headphone jack.

So far I'm loving the s6 Active, huge upgrade over my old m7 but really any modern phone would have been. I love only having to charge the thing every other day.

The main thing to me all these opinions about the phone being "ugly", at the end of the day I'm a man. I need a durable phone not a fashion accessory. My only regret is storage space - the camera is like 1000x better than my old m7 and it would be nice to ave an sd slot to handle storage duties.

Use the leaf micro sd card reader with a micro sd card and your good to go. You could find it on amazon for like 10 bucks

Posted via the Android Central App

thunder33cat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
iPhone 6 Plus -> Galaxy S6 -> iPhone 6 -> Galaxy S6 Active

The Plus has far and away the best battery life I have ever had in a phone, and I am a long time iOS user (occasionally dabbling in Android, once a year or so...), but the Plus was just too cumbersome and the waterproofing options (Lifeproof) impeded the use of the phone (call capability/sound quality).

I decided to try the S6 and appreciated the improved stability, screen, notifications, etc.; but the battery life was beyond abysmal and there was no option for a waterproof battery case.

Decided to return the S6 for an iPhone 6, resigning myself to it and a Lifeproof Fre. The phone is very good, as is the case. (The case is actually quite good from a build and sound/call quality standpoint - probably one of the best that Lifeproof has released in a while). BUT - the case doubles the weight of the phone, and I couldn't justify having to grab a second, regular Lifeproof case.

Then, with 3 days left in my 14 day window, I came across the S6 Active. It was pretty much a no-brainer.

Yes... I've never committed to a full dive into the Android ecosystem, and my kids and wife are all on iPhones, but I have a feeling that we may be moving a few more over as their upgrades come due. It is that compelling of a device to me. I think AT&T has a sleeper on it's hands, although it was interesting to see a prime-time placed ad for the S6 Active during the US Open last night, so maybe AT&T has a sense that this phone may do well.

Miss Nichole

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S6 Active:

As great as the phone is suppose to be I've had on going issues since I got it last week, the phone lose connection to network. To where I get error when sending text and cant make calls. Hopefully its fixed quickly!

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S6 Active:

As great as the phone is suppose to be I've had on going issues since I got it last week, the phone lose connection to network. To where I get error when sending text and cant make calls. Hopefully its fixed quickly!

What carrier are you on?

I'm on AT&T and I am completely blown away by how strong a signal this phone has. Back when I had my Note II I had to flash different radios to find the best signal all the time...

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Just picked mine up today....Haven't had a chance to crack it open and check it out yet. But I came from a One Plus One.

This thing seems the perfect for me....I've been wanting good battery and good camera. This thing seems like a no compromise phone that I've been waiting for. I was planning on waiting for the new Moto stuff, next Note, and the next Nexus. But after some ppl telling me that Moto will always fail at cameras....I decided to just bite the bullet and get this one instead. If the Moto is too good for me to pass up and/or I cannot stand touchwiz enough then I'll just sell this baby and get that.

Doesn't hurt that I think I got a semi decent deal on it. I paid $600 in gift cards and got free $60 back GC at BB and was planning on using a 10% off coupon. Unfortunately that coupon didn't work, BUT they apparently have the same deal that the regular S6 has and they are giving a free $100 gift card with purchase. So all in all it wasn't a bad deal I don't think.

Just hoping it lives up to my high expectations. Also picked up a Pebble steel on sale to sync up and try out. I had huge probs with battery drain when I tried LG G watch with my current one. So wanted to try something new and hopefully won't have the same issues with the Pebble app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis