Niche Device?

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I have seen this said a lot lately and struggle to understand the reasoning behind it.

How can a mainstream phone that doesn't have a glass back or fingerprint scanner be called a niche device?

One of the elite reviewers said because it wouldn't be found in a boardroom that it was one....and lamented the fact that it was made out of plastic so it was somehow looked down on as being unfitting to be there..

Since when did every phone have to look like a iPhone to be considered mainstream?

I am just getting sick and tired of hearing crap like this,being told that glass is somehow better than plastic, which it really isn't from any practical viewpoint for durability, but yet here we are being told what is and what isn't acceptable for status quo by some.

This phone is anything but a niche device, because it was built to withstand the day to day rigors people put there phones through. If it's built for this howinthehell can it be considered as such?

Has society become so vain that they have forgotten that everyday working class people are the mainstream?

Sure Samsung has screwed up and gave AT&T the exclusive on it, but if they released this everywhere I think that it would be the popular choice for the s6.

It's nice to have a pretty phone made from glass and metal, but they aren't very practical for everyday use, especially when they aren't waterproof, shockproof, dust proof. If you have to cover up a phone to make it last a few months, how practical is that?

I don't consider this phone a niche device, but firmly believe that it is being shoehorned into being accepted as one by those few who feels every phone has to look like a iPhone and be made out of the same materials.

Maybe I am just old fashioned but I think the Active isn't getting a fair shake in the press where looks matter more than durability and function.

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active

jackal2001

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I called one reviewer a "woman" and go ahead and bedazzle it if he wants to make it more shiny.
I grew up in the sticks, like rugged stuff, spend a lot of time at the gun range, etc. I don't want a 'pretty' phone. I want something that can take some abuse and have a long battery life.

joewoo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Honestly.... why do people care so much about their phones status..... just use the **** out of it.....

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I called one reviewer a "woman" and go ahead and bedazzle it if he wants to make it more shiny.
I grew up in the sticks, like rugged stuff, spend a lot of time at the gun range, etc. I don't want a 'pretty' phone. I want something that can take some abuse and have a long battery life.

I here ya but this phone isn't ugly as some call it.Heck the otterbox cases are buttassedfugly....and this one doesn't need it. Why does a phone have to make a fashion statement or look like it belongs on a fashion runway to be considered mainstream?

The vast majority of people in the world are hard working every day people and while I appreciate something beautiful just because mine isn't as delicate doesn't make it a niche device.

I think it is all about some of the reviewers trying to brainwash folks. I mean seriously who are these people to try to say that getting something less durable is more important?

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I think some of you are over reacting. You can make a product dust/water/shock proof without it looking like a piece of military hardware. Most camera manufacturers are guilt of the same thing; just go look at most of the "tough" cameras.

That said, I agree that too much emphasis is placed on using metal instead if plastic. Metal rarely holds up the same as many plastics will.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I think some of you are over reacting. You can make a product dust/water/shock proof without it looking like a piece of military hardware. Most camera manufacturers are guilt of the same thing; just go look at most of the "tough" cameras.

That said, I agree that too much emphasis is placed on using metal instead if plastic. Metal rarely holds up the same as many plastics will.

I'm not overreacting. I see this being said and I don't agree with it.

There isnt a glass or metal phone as durable as the Active and with its design doesn't mean that it's a niche device.

What you have is a bunch of reviewers that want to make everyone think that it is.

Mainstream is everyday, fantasy is the runway for Vogue.

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have seen this said a lot lately and struggle to understand the reasoning behind it.

How can a mainstream phone that doesn't have a glass back or fingerprint scanner be called a niche device?

One of the elite reviewers said because it wouldn't be found in a boardroom that it was one....and lamented the fact that it was made out of plastic so it was somehow looked down on as being unfitting to be there..

Since when did every phone have to look like a iPhone to be considered mainstream?

I am just getting sick and tired of hearing crap like this,being told that glass is somehow better than plastic, which it really isn't from any practical viewpoint for durability, but yet here we are being told what is and what isn't acceptable for status quo by some.

This phone is anything but a niche device, because it was built to withstand the day to day rigors people put there phones through. If it's built for this howinthehell can it be considered as such?

Has society become so vain that they have forgotten that everyday working class people are the mainstream?

Sure Samsung has screwed up and gave AT&T the exclusive on it, but if they released this everywhere I think that it would be the popular choice for the s6.

It's nice to have a pretty phone made from glass and metal, but they aren't very practical for everyday use, especially when they aren't waterproof, shockproof, dust proof. If you have to cover up a phone to make it last a few months, how practical is that?

I don't consider this phone a niche device, but firmly believe that it is being shoehorned into being accepted as one by those few who feels every phone has to look like a iPhone and be made out of the same materials.

Maybe I am just old fashioned but I think the Active isn't getting a fair shake in the press where looks matter more than durability and function.

I agree 100%!!

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Not everyone needs a gun case look but the option to have it certainly doesn't hurt......

Personally I would love to see a carbon fiber frame or even a titanium frame with rubber inserts for the corners with titanium screws used so the frame could be removed and repaired if needed as well as the inserts replaced.. The plastic frame is durable no doubt ,but if the pundits need better materials to consider it "mainstream" then make it one worth the money not something that is easily broken.

I am happy with the looks of this phone, and I know people are always looking for something different, but good grief I get so sick and tired of having to hear these reviewers say that everyone wants glass phones,and regulating this one to niche status.

Sent from my K013 using Tapatalk

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm not overreacting. I see this being said and I don't agree with it.

There isnt a glass or metal phone as durable as the Active and with its design doesn't mean that it's a niche.

What you have is a bunch of reviewers that want to make everyone think that it is.

I'm sorry, but it is a niche product. It's not because reviewers are making it out to be so, it's because the active series of phones always has been.

Samsung has never marketed the Active like the regular S series. And since this is an ATT exclusive, it's pointless for them to change that now, even though it's got the same or better specs than the S6.

Also, like it or not, most people do take looks into account when buying a phone (and from talking with someone at our local AT&T store, most feel the Active is ugly).

I firmly believe that we're going to see a proliferation of waterproof/shock proof phones starting next year. The Android manufacturers are running out of things to differentiate themselves, and a good looking/functional flagship that is a "tough" phone, without hardware buttons, would be a huge hit.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry, but it is a niche product. It's not because reviewers are making it out to be so, it's because the active series of phones always has been.

Samsung has never marketed the Active like the regular S series. And since this is an ATT exclusive, it's pointless for them to change that now, even though it's got the same or better specs than the S6.

Also, like it or not, most people do take looks into account when buying a phone (and from talking with someone at our local AT&T store, most feel the Active is ugly).

I firmly believe that we're going to see a proliferation of waterproof/shock proof phones starting next year. The Android manufacturers are running out of things to differentiate themselves, and a good looking/functional flagship that is a "tough" phone, without hardware buttons, would be a huge hit.

I don't agree. Just because they have in the past doesn't mean that it is now. The Note series had the same thing said about them, and they are no longer considered a niche device.

Have you actually seen the advert for this phone? This is being promoted for everyday usage not as a runway fashion design.

Sure as I said Samsung made a mistake with the exclusive deal with AT&T as well as limiting the internal memory size... But the physical buttons are there for a reason and that is to work in all conditions not just for looks.

I am truly sorry, but what we have is a bunch of reviewers dictating what is a niche device and what isn't. I feel that they are trying to brainwash people into believing that emulation of a iPhone look is the only thing that is mainstream and anything short of what Apple has is less desirable.

People use these phones in all conditions and having to go and pay for a case to use it everywhere is wasteful. If you are wanting to do this that is fine but don't try to convince me that is the norm for me to want.

I am just tired of these people trying to put down the phone because it isn't what they consider mainstream.

I fully understand people being upset that it is only available on AT&T but that only makes it limited not a niche device. The physical buttons don't make it a niche device.... Google all the polls that have been done and you will see that more people actually want them than the on screen ones.

It's not too late to get people to ask for a device like this, but until these reviewers stop pushing their standards off as the only way to think it is not going to be easy

Posted via the Android Central App

jackal2001

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Verizon has the Droid line of phones by Moto. ATT has the Active series phones by Samsung. Both best in class for battery such as the Droid Turbo and the GS6 Active.
I think next year might be the return of the large, removable, batteries at least I hope so. A lot of complaining was going on this year about battery life and not being able to replace them.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have an S6 and bought an S6 active to check out the battery life. The specs do not hurt but I think it "looks" fine. The performance specs are very close to the S6 so why not get the additional protection. I think the reviewers that I saw were very impressed by the active, and generally recommended it and absolutely recommended it for rugged use.

emad1995

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site

I agree with you

Posted with my shiny s6

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I saw a s5 Active yesterday still in use by a guy who has beat the heck out of it . I was waiting on some BBQ take out and he had the phone laying on the bar. He said he has dropped it several times off his tractor cutting grass and ran over it a few times. You could tell. ...lol.....but it still was usable. I asked if he had seen the new ones yet,and he hadn't so I slid mine over to him. He said he was going to get a new one in a month and asked about the battery life on it....He looked at the battery settings and said he would get one ASAP since his s5 didn't make it a full day listening to music as he does...

This phone may be considered a niche device but I don't think that there is a better phone made for a person who works outdoors.

This phone is like a Timex watch.....it takes a licken and keeps on ticken...Those weren't my words but is very true.

garment69

Banned
May 10, 2013
Visit site
It's a niche devise because that is the way its being marketed. I find it sort of odd that Samsung thinks that only outdoorsman need great battery life and water resistance. How about business travelers who have kids? For me, its not a niche device, its the best device.

Posted via the Android Central App

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I find it sort of odd that Samsung thinks that only outdoorsman need great battery life and water resistance.

Yea, when the phone has digital camouflage on the back, it's pretty obvious how you're marketing it.

Btw- just returned the note 4 for one of these for my wife. Seems like a great phone so fat.

anon(5061193)

Banned
Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Who cares if it is niche device??? If it is the right phone for you, than use it and enjoy it.... Who gives a crap about what others say about it? It is YOUR device

anon(5061193)

Banned
Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Verizon has the Droid line of phones by Moto. ATT has the Active series phones by Samsung. Both best in class for battery such as the Droid Turbo and the GS6 Active.
I think next year might be the return of the large, removable, batteries at least I hope so. A lot of complaining was going on this year about battery life and not being able to replace them.

Do you consider the Droid to be on par as far as "toughness" and durability as the S6 Active? I am on Verizon and own the Droid but never thought of it as a "tough" phone. It is a great phone

pjniez

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Do you consider the Droid to be on par as far as "toughness" and durability as the S6 Active? I am on Verizon and own the Droid but never thought of it as a "tough" phone. It is a great phone
Motorola does make great phones and they are generally quite durable. However, as far as I know, they are not IP68 certified like the S6A and are certainly not waterproof.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon