Guess I'm going to leave AT&T if we don't get 5.1.1 by the end of the month.

Dranakin

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Seriously, Android 6.0 is already out. We can't even get the critical update to 5.1.1, even though it rolled out to Nexus devices 6 months ago. I knew the Active was going to get software updates later than the mainline S6, but the fact that the S6 only just got 5.1.1 this month is ridiculous. So done with AT&T.

GreetingsFromAP

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
I'm not going to that extreme, but I am going to sell my S6 Active soon if it doesn't see an update or Samsung at least puts an update for the Active on a roadmap. I'm more likely to switch to the Nexus 6P. Even after the update I don't know if I will keep it. I've had so many performance issues with the phone that I'm just done with it. I know some people say it works fine for them, but mine regularly freezes when I go to unlock it. The screen will turn on and off multiple times and I can't even swipe to unlock. Other times apps are non-responsive or take too long to open. There have been times where I cannot respond to a message for close to a minute because the phone decides to have a brain freeze. Memory leaks, TouchWiz, or whatever the reason for the poor performance, I hope 5.1.1 fixes it at least a little bit.

cajun456

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm not going to that extreme, but I am going to sell my S6 Active soon if it doesn't see an update or Samsung at least puts an update for the Active on a roadmap. I'm more likely to switch to the Nexus 6P. Even after the update I don't know if I will keep it. I've had so many performance issues with the phone that I'm just done with it. I know some people say it works fine for them, but mine regularly freezes when I go to unlock it. The screen will turn on and off multiple times and I can't even swipe to unlock. Other times apps are non-responsive or take too long to open. There have been times where I cannot respond to a message for close to a minute because the phone decides to have a brain freeze. Memory leaks, TouchWiz, or whatever the reason for the poor performance, I hope 5.1.1 fixes it at least a little bit.

I agree with this. I have random lockups, especially trying to unlock the phone or respond to text messages. Hopefully 5.1.1 fixes it, if we get there.

hnguyen

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site

I feel ya. Mine is so slow. And it seems to freeze when you need to use it the most. This will be my last samsung device.

Might get the nexus 6p or the priv and switch to t-mobile

Posted via the Android Central App

GreetingsFromAP

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
I feel ya. Mine is so slow. And it seems to freeze when you need to use it the most. This will be my last samsung device.

So true. It always seems to freeze just when need it the most. It feels like it is giving me a big middle finger when it doesn't want to behave. I've never wanted to throw a phone before, but I often do with the Active. At least it would probably survive. I'm happy for the people that don't have any issues with their Active, but I wonder if any S6 users see the same behavior or is it just exclusive to the Active. I agree, most likely my last Samsung. They look great on paper, but don't really stand up to real life usage like other phones I've had. Regardless, I still have grandfathered unlimited with ATT so I'm sticking with them for now.

redeyss

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I had that laggy behavior too. Clearing cache would help for a couple weeks. I had to let it go because it didn't play nice with my 3g microcell at home. N6p 64gb on preorder.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

GreetingsFromAP

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
I've tried it all. While not a controlled experiment, I did try each "fix" individually. All the apps I have installed are the same as what I had on my Nexus 5 and that ran without a hiccup. Nova is my launcher of choice. Given that I've tried everything (and please let me know if I missed something), 5.1.1 you are my only hope. Then again I have a Nexus 6p on order. So my Active might be going up for sale soon.

• Clearing cache from settings
  • Clearing cache from recovery mode
  • Factory wipe from recovery mode
  • Disabling gesture control
  • Turning all themes off
  • Turning off Knox
  • Disable the mode to track when you are actively looking at the display
  • Package Disabler to remove bloatware apps and services
  • Greenify

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
You must have either installed an app (or combination of apps) that causes the problem, or disabled a necessary system apk. There are too many users who don't have any issues for it to be a hardware / touchwhiz problem.

hanamizi168

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
So true. It always seems to freeze just when need it the most. It feels like it is giving me a big middle finger when it doesn't want to behave. I've never wanted to throw a phone before, but I often do with the Active. At least it would probably survive. I'm happy for the people that don't have any issues with their Active, but I wonder if any S6 users see the same behavior or is it just exclusive to the Active. I agree, most likely my last Samsung. They look great on paper, but don't really stand up to real life usage like other phones I've had. Regardless, I still have grandfathered unlimited with ATT so I'm sticking with them for now.

I used both s6 and now the active. It's laggy here and there but it's very minimal. I don't think probably your got a defective one. Did you try using it right after a factory reset before installing anything? Like browsing with chrome and whatsapp maybe? I really don't think the nexus 5 can out beat the 5.0.2 active. I've used the LG g2 with every single optimization but my active still faster that the g2. I don't have anything heavy running in the background though.

GreetingsFromAP

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
I used both s6 and now the active. It's laggy here and there but it's very minimal. I don't think probably your got a defective one. Did you try using it right after a factory reset before installing anything? Like browsing with chrome and whatsapp maybe? I really don't think the nexus 5 can out beat the 5.0.2 active. I've used the LG g2 with every single optimization but my active still faster that the g2. I don't have anything heavy running in the background though.

I haven't really tried using it without anything on it after a factory reset. Part of the reason is that as soon as you provide your Google login, it tries to restore all your apps. I will try it this weekend though and see if it makes a difference. I have thought about the possibility of it being app related. For as many people who have no problems with their Actives, there seems to be enough that do. So maybe there is some commonality. Regarding disabling necessary system APKs, I had the problem before package disabler. I just tried it later on and I don't think it helped, but I also don't think it made things worse. The best part of package disabler was stopping the keyboard dialog that kept popping up despite selecting the Google keyboard as my default and turning off the others. Sometime I should make a video of the delay.

hanamizi168

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
I haven't really tried using it without anything on it after a factory reset. Part of the reason is that as soon as you provide your Google login, it tries to restore all your apps. I will try it this weekend though and see if it makes a difference. I have thought about the possibility of it being app related. For as many people who have no problems with their Actives, there seems to be enough that do. So maybe there is some commonality. Regarding disabling necessary system APKs, I had the problem before package disabler. I just tried it later on and I don't think it helped, but I also don't think it made things worse. The best part of package disabler was stopping the keyboard dialog that kept popping up despite selecting the Google keyboard as my default and turning off the others. Sometime I should make a video of the delay.
Yeah. Make a video on YouTube and let's see how bad it is. There is an option right after you setup the google account let you select restore data or not. Even with the att craps I think it still can run smoothly. My coworker has a normal s6 and I believe he doesn't know anything about package disabler and he still runs the s6 fine. So try fresh and post a video.

bobmurray1212

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
not only no 5.1.1, but also Samsung Pay is now available via Google Play and guess what ? It's not compatible with the S6 Active. I call bull****. This phone is brand new.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Having mixed feelings at this point. I'm well past the return period for my Active so that is out of the question. I'm not really interested in trading, or selling, as I'd probably lose even more money with the NEXT program.

Here's what I still LOVE about this phone:
  1. Beautiful display
  2. Awesome battery life
  3. Rugged look and feel
  4. Great camera

I would have commented on the water-resistance/proof, but that is VERY SUSPECT right now. I've had the device repaired for a small crack in the screen, got it back and then experienced water damage while at a water park. (I firmly believe that the phone was not resealed properly.) Now that I have it back, I will not be testing its water resistance AND unfortunately I will never fully experience the UNDERWATER MODE in the camera app.

Here is what I DON'T like:
  1. Samsung's reluctance to address water issues despite UNDERWATER MODE and IP68 ratings
  2. The Active is a version of the S6 flagship device, which should receive the same attention when it comes to updates
  3. No Samsung Pay?
  4. Minor lag experienced at random

GreetingsFromAP

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
Law, I've taken it in the water, The pool a couple times, used it in the rain, rinsed it off in the sink. I've also dropped it a few times and other than a couple marks on the outside case, it is fine. It has lived up to the IP68 ratings for me. That being said, the GG4 glass on the front is no better than any other phone with GG4, so it would break just as easy if it dropped onto a jagged surface. I found the small raised lip around the screen does help protect it a little bit from a flat fall right on the screen.

I'm disappointed it doesn't have Samsung pay, but without a fingerprint reader or the ability to pay using a magnetic reader, Google Pay does all the same things.

I haven't had much random lag recently. I have observed one thing though, The lag does seem to happen when I am not at home and connected to wifi.

One other complaint, I forget how much free space the phone started with, but I have found the 32 GB to go very quick as well. There is so much bloat on Samsung phones. Like really, I can't uninstall Uber? That's crazy.

GreetingsFromAP

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
So the S5 is now getting 5.1.1 on ATT while the Active is stuck on 5.0.2. Really looking forward getting my 64GB Nexus 6p and ending this little Samsung detour.

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't blame the OP as I have stopped buying carrier branded devices after learning my lesson earlier this year to not even hope for an update to a carrier branded phone in the U.S. Only reason I have the S6 Active is a phone to beat up taking to work since I work in the elements. I was told long ago to buy a phone for the now and not for the updates later, especially dealing with carrier branded devices. Every other phone I have now is unbranded and unlocked from factory now. Wife has her Nexus 5x and I await my Nexus 6p. Never again will I play the carrier branded song and dance. Even moving my service away from At&t to Project Fi because I despise the death star and big red as well.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I read somewhere on AC yesterday that the AT&T S5 is getting the 5.1.1 update, and still no word on the S6 Active. Maybe it has something to do with the Active Key on the S6 Active, other than the Active key, and hardware buttons this phone is supposed to be identical to the regular S6 which already has been updated.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX