S6 active - a way to pin folders to main screen? Client with full server view of items?

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Long time iphone and windows phone user here, just came on the android bandwagon..

Liking it for the most part so far.. but i'm trying to figure out, is there some hack or way to "pin" folders that exist in email accounts to the main screen, so that if you have a subfolder "pinned" and you get a new email in that folder it shows a notification number next to it?

Or.. is the only solution to install a 3rd party email client?

Also.. would there be a 3rd party email client that lets you see "all" of your email at once.. a "server" view i guess.. for both exchange and gmail in one app (and also pin the subfolders)..

I'm guessing the "android" version of Outlook at least lets you pin, but obviously doesnt support viewing everything at once, but only the cache of days in the past..

Thanks in advance

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The GMail app lets you create a widget on the home screen for a particular folder, but tapping it just opens GMail to that folder, you can't read the email on the home screen.

Long-press the home screen. Tap widgets. Tap GMail. Tap the folder you want. The widget is about 2 X 3, so you'll need some blank real estate. If there's not enough space to create the widget, it won't do anything - it'll appear to have failed. If you need to, create another home screen. (How you do that depends on the launcher you're using - the S6 comes with TouchWiz, but a lot of us find Nova Launcher to be a lot better.

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for the tip.. i guess that will work for gmail.. but on the Exchange Side of things, is there a solution there somehow?

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Actually, for some reason a long press of the home button doesnt take me to the widgets are, but more of a personalization area for news feeds and calendar items for some reason

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Yeah that works.. i was able to add a tags widget.. however, those dont show whether on not those "folders" have new emails.

Ideally there needs to be some way to at least show a given folder in either gmail or exchange has new messages either on the lockscreen or by a widget/icon.. i've tried 3 other mail apps and none of those have them either.