7.0 Issues

Ryche

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Just got upgraded to 7.0, and as someone who does customer minded Web based software testing as a career, I gotta say - what was Android thinking?

1) Notifications - now you need to press an "Expand" arrow on a notification to see more than the first line. Previously, the top notification automatically expanded to show the full notification.
2) Removal of "Brightness" control from quick setting pull down menu. Like notifications, it used to be there if you opened the quick settings by swiping down from the top of the screen. Now you have to swipe down, and then open the full settings with a second swipe down.
3) Settings gear - As other posts have noted, this is a complete change. Instead of a horizontal layout with a few main categories, the layout is now vertical with lots of categories. This is more of a shock difference than inconvenience, as you might be able to get to some sections with less clicks/swipes etc.
4) Powering off - It used to be that you'd hold the power button, select "turn off", and then reconfirm. Now, you have to take those steps plus enter your unlock key (at least I did with a pattern) - unsure if password users have to do the same. (Well, at least the first time I did... now it seems to have gone away).
5) A bit picky, but some of the new icons are very white... some non-stock apps even got changed from a colored background to White...
6) Camera Settings - Looks like they took away a couple of modes (if you used anything other than "auto". I go to a fair amount of concerts, and the "Sports" mode was great for pictures. However, that is now gone...
7) Camera Controls - The Volume Rocker used to control your zoom in/zoom out. Now it changes you to video mode, leaving the screen/pinch control as the only zoom option I can find.

I've got no issue with changes due to functional improvements, but making the user take more steps to achieve the same results, and removing previous functionalities and controls is not customer-friendly. It is almost as if Samsung made changes to simply make changes...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I gotta say - what was Android thinking?

I think you know this already, based what you say later in the post, but these changes are all due to Samsung's customization of Android, not Google themselves.

There have been a lot of threads complaining about Nougat on Samsung devices, regarding design choices, functionality changes, and plain ol' bugs. My wife has also experienced it on her Note5.:-\

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Point 1, might be a Samsung thing. When I pull my notification shade down, the first notification is already expanded.

Point 2, use 2 fingers to pull the notification shade down. That will put you right to quick toggles.

Point 3, I like. Sometimes when trying to help people with a Samsung, telling them to go to say settings>storage isn't as clear cut when Samsung has one layout and everyone else has something different.

Point 4 might be a good step for security. Needing a password to shutdown is a block to the bootloader or recovery.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm