I get conflicting answers, so if someone smarter than me can set me straight: I am taking possession of my new GS6E tomorrow. Shall I let the battery go all the way down until it shuts itself off, and then fully recharge, or just keep topping it off every night? TIA...
    06-28-2015 11:17 PM
    let the battery go way down, maybe to 5% and then charge it for 5 7 hours. I always do this to my new phone.
    06-29-2015 12:07 AM
    It is better to avoid full discharge on lithium batteries. Topping them off periodically will prolong their life.

From Battery University: "Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, so also does the depth of discharge (DoD) determine the cycle count. The shorter the discharge (low DoD), the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine. There is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles to prolong life."
    06-29-2015 12:16 AM
    It is better to avoid full discharge on lithium batteries. Topping them off periodically will prolong their life.

From Battery University: "Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, so also does the depth of discharge (DoD) determine the cycle count. The shorter the discharge (low DoD), the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine. There is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles to prolong life."
    ^^^ This x100000000

Thanks for this. There is definitely bad info going round the forums on this. Even more important now that the battery is fixed. Listen to Laura people.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-01-2015 08:03 AM

Agreed. There's no reason to fully discharge or worry about partial charges with Li-Ion batteries. In fact you should have to do little to no battery maintenance with modern Li-Ion batteries; just use your device and charge whenever you need/want to.

That being said, smartphones don't allow full discharges because the manufacturers know that full discharges with Li-Ion can be damaging. When your phone powers off due to low battery, there's actually still charge left in the battery. So don't stress out if your battery "dies" either. (There are ways to force your phone to fully discharge the battery, but DON'T DO THAT!!)
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-12-2015 06:19 PM
    All articles you read by professionals say that running down your battery is absolutely NOT NECESSARY. You must remember we are dealing with lithium ion batteries, not old fashion ni-cads. Not only do they not have a memory, but they love power. So charge them whenever you want, as much as you want. The only time you should run down a lithium ion battery, is to refresh it IF you notice that its not giving you the duration it once did. And then, to refresh, you would run it to empty, charge fully, then run to empty 1 more time. In all my years of dealing with smartphones, I've only had to do this once. It was with an ipad I have. I went to apple for help. I was informed that I was 2 days out of warranty. But because I was a loyal customer (computers not iphones) , they'd replace the battery for ONLY. $60.00. Yeah, thanks apple. Thats when I refreshed the battery, and it worked. This ipad is almost 9 years old and its still going strong.

Posted via Android Central App
    02-27-2016 08:37 AM