Need some advice

WildCatBBN3

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I currently have a iPhone 6 Plus. Been to ATT and Best Buy a lot here lately. I've been playing with the Note 5 and the Edge+. I'm really digging the Edge +. But is it worth the extra money over the Note 5??? I'm getting kinda bored with my iPhone. Time for a change. But I've got so much money invested into iTunes. I haven't been with Android for awhile now. It's been years. Idk what to do. I would love to hear from everyone. It would be much appreciated.

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
It depends what you want. They are identical inside, hardware wise.

You are essentially paying more for the curved display.

If you like the look of the Edge display and you don't need the S-Pen or its features, then it's worth it to get the Edge. That's something only you can decide.

I just ordered the Edge plus myself, but that was because the Note is only available in 32GB here, which is uselessly small.

Last edited:

WildCatBBN3

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
It depends what you want. They are identical inside, hardware wise.

You are essentially paying more for the curved display.

If you like the look of the Edge display and you don't need the S-Pen or its features, then it's worth it to get the Edge. That's something only you can decide.

I just ordered the Edge plus myself, but that was because the Note is only available in 32GB, which is uselessly small.

I've seen the Note in 64GB.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
First off, I'd stay with the iPhone 6 Plus, if you're not having problems and it's working for you. I really loved my iPhone 6 Plus and I'd still have it if it wasn't for the hotspot issues that plague iOS.

Now, having said that, would you use the S-Pen? If not, then get the Edge+. Is so, then get the Note 5. I haven't seen the display on the Note 5, but the Edge +'s display is to die for. If you watch content on your phone, I highly recommend the Edge +.

WildCatBBN3

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
First off, I'd stay with the iPhone 6 Plus, if you're not having problems and it's working for you. I really loved my iPhone 6 Plus and I'd still have it if it wasn't for the hotspot issues that plague iOS.

Now, having said that, would you use the S-Pen? If not, then get the Edge+. Is so, then get the Note 5. I haven't seen the display on the Note 5, but the Edge +'s display is to die for. If you watch content on your phone, I highly recommend the Edge +.

I haven't had any problems with my iPhone. Just wanted to try something new. I think I'm going to check out the Edge plus again today. I really want to give Android a chance but I think since I've been with Apple so long it'll never happen. The iPhone just works. I just bought my lil girl an iPod touch for Christmas and she can text and FaceTime me when I'm not home. She wouldn't be able to do that if I was with android. I'll probably just stick with the iPhone. Thanks for everyone help and opinion. Some like android some like Apple some like Nike some like adidas. Guess I'll stick with Apple and Nike.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any problems with my iPhone. Just wanted to try something new. I think I'm going to check out the Edge plus again today. I really want to give Android a chance but I think since I've been with Apple so long it'll never happen. The iPhone just works. I just bought my lil girl an iPod touch for Christmas and she can text and FaceTime me when I'm not home. She wouldn't be able to do that if I was with android. I'll probably just stick with the iPhone. Thanks for everyone help and opinion. Some like android some like Apple some like Nike some like adidas. Guess I'll stick with Apple and Nike.

I regularly switch back and forth between the two. Apple is easy and just works. Android takes a lot of setting up and works 95% of the time. However, rough apps are more prevalent in Android because the consistency of the hardware isn't there like it is with Apple. But, the reason I bounce back to Android and the reason I'm back to stay (for now anyway) is the Hotspot. I have unlimited data and my phone's my Internet at home. The iPhone's got a great hotspot if you're connecting another iOS device. However, if you try connecting anything else, it drops off intermittently all the time and makes it impossible for gaming. When I was on my iPhone, I'd connect to a CoD AW online match, then right in the middle I'd lose my connection and get booted. As soon as I closed and reopened, I'd be surfing like nothing happened. If I had all iOS devices, I wouldn't even flinch. I'd still be on Apple. The main reason I keep going through Android phones is lag. So far, there's been no lag with the Edge +, and that's why I'm keeping it until it either starts lagging, or 5G Mobile Internet comes out. Of course, when 5G comes out, I'm betting Verizon won't let me stay on my unlimited...

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't know why I didn't say this way earlier.

BATTERY!

Most people here are probably going to bash me, but keep in mind, those are the people who've never had an iPhone. There is no competition between Android and iOS when it comes to battery life. iOS wins going away. It's a 2+ to 1 difference between the two. The iPhone 6 Plus lasts twice and sometimes three times as long as this Edge +'s battery. It's not even close. I could go 2 days easy on the iPhone's battery without changing any setting, turning off GPS, setting the brightness to 25%, turning on WiFi, all the tips and tricks to get an Android phone to last a full day.

My battery experience:
  1. Start the day around 3:45am taking it off the charger
  2. Watch NetFlix for 3 hours
  3. Read some email
  4. Surf some Internet
  5. Use as a hotspot for at least 4 hours
  6. Do some gaming. Drag racing, Phrase Wheel, etc.
  7. 1 - 2 phone calls
  8. End the day around 8pm placing it back on the charger

• iPhone 6 Plus - from 100% to around 6% in a single day
  • iPhone 6 - Could make it close to a full day. I'd need to put it on a charger around 6pm.
  • Sammy Galaxy 6 Edge + - Can make it maybe 6 hours

But, let's not stop there:
  • LG G2, G3, and G4 - All could make it maybe 5 hours
  • Droid Turbo (You know. The 3600 mAh battery) - Could make it maybe 6 hours
  • HTC One M8 - Could make it maybe 4 hours
  • Razr Maxx and Maxx HD - Could make it maybe 9 hours

Battery life on Android phones suuuuucks, but Android has Qi charging. I have a Qi charger on my nightstand at home and on my desk at work. This is how I live.

MikezDroid

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
I currently have a iPhone 6 Plus. Been to ATT and Best Buy a lot here lately. I've been playing with the Note 5 and the Edge+. I'm really digging the Edge +. But is it worth the extra money over the Note 5??? I'm getting kinda bored with my iPhone. Time for a change. But I've got so much money invested into iTunes. I haven't been with Android for awhile now. It's been years. Idk what to do. I would love to hear from everyone. It would be much appreciated.

I was in the same scenario, I love the iOS I have a lot of money invested in the ecosystem however after 4 or 5 years it gets a little boring.

I bought an unlocked edge plus outright, no contract, and I was able to use it for 13 days before making a decision. To make it a fair decision II used only the new phone.

The screen is beautiful. There's no denying that. Both phones are capable of performing almost all the same tasks. So you won't be missing out on functionality. You'll be gaining on customization of your app's icons, apps layout, and choice of launchers. So there are a lot of pluses

In the end iPhone was the better choice For me. I found that the applications and operating system were a bit smoother, integrated a bit better and my iPhone's battery life was better. But the main factor is I was not able to get access to all of my Apple ecosystem apps, content, movies, music etc. on my new phone. There were some workarounds arounds here and there,I was able to get contacts, calendars and all the stuff the synced up to the iCloud as far as the icloud account was concerned but it was all the apps and music and movies that I purchased that I was now stuck without.

Oh and I might mention that OK Google does kick siri's *** hands-down. (If there is issues with anything that I wrote and blame it on Siri because I dictated this whole thing. )

I digress, it's a trade-off, flexibility and customization for smoothness and retaining access to all my prior media purchases.

Oh and I forgot one big thing. Apples one button back up that restores all your text messages applications and everything to your new phone completely lays waste to anything that android has in place now. (Unless you're rooted)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikezDroid

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
I don't know why I didn't say this way earlier.

BATTERY!

Most people here are probably going to bash me, but keep in mind, those are the people who've never had an iPhone. There is no competition between Android and iOS when it comes to battery life. iOS wins going away. It's a 2+ to 1 difference between the two. The iPhone 6 Plus lasts twice and sometimes three times as long as this Edge +'s battery. It's not even close. I could go 2 days easy on the iPhone's battery without changing any setting, turning off GPS, setting the brightness to 25%, turning on WiFi, all the tips and tricks to get an Android phone to last a full day.

My battery experience:
  1. Start the day around 3:45am taking it off the charger
  2. Watch NetFlix for 3 hours
  3. Read some email
  4. Surf some Internet
  5. Use as a hotspot for at least 4 hours
  6. Do some gaming. Drag racing, Phrase Wheel, etc.
  7. 1 - 2 phone calls
  8. End the day around 8pm placing it back on the charger

• iPhone 6 Plus - from 100% to around 6% in a single day
  • iPhone 6 - Could make it close to a full day. I'd need to put it on a charger around 6pm.
  • Sammy Galaxy 6 Edge + - Can make it maybe 6 hours

But, let's not stop there:
  • LG G2, G3, and G4 - All could make it maybe 5 hours
  • Droid Turbo (You know. The 3600 mAh battery) - Could make it maybe 6 hours
  • HTC One M8 - Could make it maybe 4 hours
  • Razr Maxx and Maxx HD - Could make it maybe 9 hours

Battery life on Android phones suuuuucks, but Android has Qi charging. I have a Qi charger on my nightstand at home and on my desk at work. This is how I live.

It does. However not for long.

I have my nexus 9 on marshmallow and it went from a charge every 24 hours to only charging it every 2-3 days. (Bear in mind this in my remote for my hue lights, tv, Xbox and cable only) so most of its standby but it's a massive increase in battery improved.

Also Samsung does not right efficient code. They chew up grandma CPU cycles like its going out of style and don't have any efficiency burned into their code. So all that bloat wear is the battery sink. Not a good comparison on battery. (Unless they jump though goons autokilling background apps, toggle wifi and cell etc... )

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
It does. However not for long.

I have my nexus 9 on marshmallow and it went from a charge every 24 hours to only charging it every 2-3 days. (Bear in mind this in my remote for my hue lights, tv, Xbox and cable only) so most of its standby but it's a massive increase in battery improved.

Also Samsung does not right efficient code. They chew up grandma CPU cycles like its going out of style and don't have any efficiency burned into their code. So all that bloat wear is the battery sink. Not a good comparison on battery. (Unless they jump though goons autokilling background apps, toggle wifi and cell etc... )

I've heard this after every Android update. "The battery life is dramatically improved." It never is. As for Samsung, you might be right, but all Android phones I've had are about the same on battery life. Including my Edge + and my wife's S4. They are right in line with all of the other Android phones I've had.

MikezDroid

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
I've heard this after every Android update. "The battery life is dramatically improved." It never is. As for Samsung, you might be right, but all Android phones I've had are about the same on battery life. Including my Edge + and my wife's S4. They are right in line with all of the other Android phones I've had.

Lollipop was a battery bug. From my small personal experience marshmallow is a very noticeable improvement.

I have an iPhone 6s Plus and for work I have a Samsung edge plus. I'm lucky if I get 5 hours with moderate use on my edge+
On my iPhone I'm getting double that battery life. I'm at 41% on my iPhone with almost 9 hours use and over 12 hour standby since I charged it last.

I'm hoping marshmallow catches up. It looks like it will so far to me. We'll see.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444561427.399373.jpg

V J

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Lollipop was a battery bug. From my small personal experience marshmallow is a very noticeable improvement.

I have an iPhone 6s Plus and for work I have a Samsung edge plus. I'm lucky if I get 5 hours with moderate use on my edge+
On my iPhone I'm getting double that battery life. I'm at 41% on my iPhone with almost 9 hours use and over 12 hour standby since I charged it last.

I'm hoping marshmallow catches up. It looks like it will so far to me. We'll see.

View attachment 200942

While I completely agree that the iPhone 6/6s plus have better battery life than the Edge+, I would suggest not going off the "usage" stats on the iPhone. My partner has the iPhone 6 and the battery stats always shows hours upon hours of usage even though he doesn't touch his phone, literally it will just sit at his desk.

The way iOS calculates its usage is inclusive of everything that goes on with the device, including background activity. So whatever "usage" is listed on the battery stats on the iPhone does not translate to actual "Screen On Time".

From my experience, from a full charge you will get the same screen usage time on both phones but when it comes to stand-by, the iPhone will last over 3 times longer. This is a non-issue if you're a heavy user and charge your phone daily. But if you favor stand-by efficiency the iPhone is by far and away the clear winner.

This has always been the case between iOS and Android, but the difference is bigger right now because from my personal experience Lollipop is so far the least-efficient version of Android when it comes to stand-by times.

MikezDroid

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Agreed. It does. However I did read for several hours, check the news,watch cnn and return emails. (Slow day at work, I work 12 hour shifts on the overnight. ;) )

Today is good is a good day as an example of lollipop as well. My edge sat home and when I got home it was at 50% for doing nothing at all.

Altis2go

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
Did anyone encounter Note 5 become very heat when Mobile Hotspot sharing is on? My Note 5 having this problems when i on my Mobile Hotspot sharing and the phone body was very heat when on the sharing. Is this normal?

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon