Anyone consider a Nexus 6P?

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm a big Nexus fan generally, coming from a Nexus 5 and Nexus 7. But there were just too many advantages that the Edge Plus has over either of this year's Nexus phones. I much preferred the wireless charging and the fast charging available on the Edge Plus. To me and a whole lot of reviewers, Samsung's phablet is the best looking Android phone currently available. Plus honestly, I got tired of being Google's guinea pig who helped iron out the wrinkles on the newest Android update. Well that used to be exciting to me, as I've matured with smartphones, I've become much more interested in just receiving a version that has already been tested by the phone manufacturer before they send that out.

Posted via the Android Central App

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Sold my EDGE+ and got a 6P. I like every single aspect of the EDGE+ better than the 6P, except for one: Samsung just won't update Swiss phones. I have no idea why, but none of my Samsung phones I bought in Switzerland ever got any updates. Don't know what Samsung's problem is - but I'm not willing to put up with that.

floss776

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
Have both. Both are great. Just pick one and you'll be happy either way. Flagships now a days are so close to one another that it truly doesn't matter(besides the m9 and its camera) . Pick based on price and whatever you think looks best. Trust me, I've owned every flagship phone over the last year. In 2016 I'm just sticking with one, I hope lol.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Since this thread started, my S6E+ dropped and its screen broke. I had the Assurion warranty, so I got a replacement, but it was defective, as was its replacement. I finally gave up and asked for a 3rd replacement. They sent another replacement, but by this time it was obvious I wouldn't get it in time for a business trip to Amsterdam, so I decided to try a Nexus 6P that had overnight shipping from Amazon. It arrived just in time for my trip, while the 3rd replacement for the S6E+ arrived 2 days after I left. So I used the 6P for the last week while in Amsterdam.

Here's my assessment for what it's worth. Firstly, yes, agree with others who said you can't go wrong with either one. There are some major differences though.

Nexus 6P:
Smooth as butter, may not be as quick as the S6E+ according to the benchmarks, but it feels quicker. App switching is an absolute joy, and feels even quicker than the iPhone 6S plus I have as my work phone (that is by far the fastest device on the market right now).

It's fingerprint reader is just instantaneous, and I like its back location more than the front one on others. This is also nice since I use Nine for Exchange as my email client, and if supports unlocking through fingerprint, and unlocks instantaneously. I left my AW watch charger at home and couldn't use trusted devices, so my Nexus would typically be locked when I picked it up. This would have been annoying on the S6E+ given that it's fingerprint reader is rather slow by comparison.

I found that I didn't miss the admittedly slightly superior screen of the S6E+, and I love the stereo speakers on the Nexus. I also far prefer stock Marshmallow to any manufacturer's layer on top of that regardless of the additional functionality.

For everyday activities like typing, scrolling, app switching, its just better, quicker, etc.

Negatives for the 6P:
1. Camera's quick launch is about 4x slower than that of the S6E+, sometimes just doesn't work, and the camera is definitely not in the same league unless you've got time to try a few shots. If you do, you can probably equal the S6E+ in most scenarios. After the perfection that is the camera on the S6E+, its difficult to adjust to the Nexus 6P's camera, even if it is still very good. I think it's because I've been very spoiled by how I can double click and be taking 5 or 6 photos in seconds, and they all seem to just be great on the Samsung.

2. Overall phone feel:

The Nexus for its price feels fairly premium. But it feels too light and not solid enough in comparison to how the S6E+ feels. It's metallic exterior feels like its a fee months from rubbing off and exposing a plastic body. Not saying that's really how its made, but it feels like it.

Since I used it with a case, that didn't bother me most of the time, but it feels less premium.

That's about it. In most other areas, these phones are about as good as it gets there days.