How am i receiving texts while in airplane mode?

Jerynsnow

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
I have a galaxy s6 edge and I am in Mexico. I didn't sign up for extended service with Verizon so I can't text/call. I turned on airplane mode and then turned on my wifi to connect to my free WiFi at my apartment and suddenly am receiving texts. I use the messages app that came with my phone rather than messages+. I used to have an iPhone and I know imessage works over wifi but I can't find anything online to clarify texting abilities through wifi on my galaxy. Is this something I just don't know about? Or I am gonna get some mad charges when I get back to the states?

ApolloMC

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Note 5 with Verizon and Im experiencing the same thing. Im currently in London and did not sign up for any international plans. Ive mostly kept airplane mode on with wifi enabled, but ive had quite a few texts come in. They seem to come in all at once sometimes when I connect to wifi, but occasionaly they come in randomly when just out and about and im not connected. I checked verizon usage and it shows a couple of international texts, but I think they are the few legitimate ones I sent when I arrived. I dont believe its charging me for the others ive gotten from friends, but I could be wrong. Very interesting anyway. Glad to hear im not the only one with this "problem".

rkandilarov

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
Just to add to the topic...

Today I also got a kind-of-operator message about my monthly bill on a Samsung GT-S7580 when it was for days in Airplane mode... It was in the moment I press the home button to wake it up.

I'm pretty sure it makes no sense by the phone was also without WiFi....
It happens in Bulgaria/Europe :).

So so strange...