So last night I noticed that a certain folder I had in my gallery was missing... I noticed this right after using "Clean Master" & "Dumpster" apps. I don't know if this had something to do with it but I don't remember it missing prior to it. Anything I can do to get my photos/vids that were in this folder?

I tried using androiddatarecovery but it said I needed to root my phone. I tried opening the Samsung photos app but that didn't save everything I need.

Any thoughts? Guess I need to be more careful on what I delete.... Much appreciated thanks!
    02-16-2016 03:38 PM
    Hello!
    Did you happen to have this information backed up anywhere else? I always suggest having backups either on the cloud or on another hard drive (like your PC) -- If you didn't have these backed up then unfortunately this information is gone.
    02-16-2016 04:32 PM
    If you have Google Photos installed, open that, swipe in from the left, and tap Trash--do you see the photos there? If not, then open either Clean Master or Dumpster, and see if they have some kind of Trash area.

I recommend staying away from Clean Master and similar apps. They don't do anything useful that you can't already do in the system menu (like clearing the app caches), and often do things that can be counterproductive to the system.
    02-16-2016 05:09 PM
    Maybe it's just hidden now? Download "Quickpic". Then, when in that app select "show hidden". Is it there? If so, go into that folder's settings and select "unhide". Then go back into your native gallery and it will be there (is this is the problem)
    02-19-2016 10:41 AM
    Hey guys thanks for the responses I appreciate it! Tried all your suggestions but nothing... You would of thought that Google Photos would of backed it up but for some reason it only backed up all the pics/vids from my trip that I took using my phone & not my snapchats? Which makes no sense since everything all there but my Snapchat vids. Like the snapchat pics are there no vids though?
    02-19-2016 03:27 PM
    Review this support page about Google Photo Auto Backup: https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6193313?hl=en. You can select if it should backup over mobile data (which can obviously impact your data allotment) or on wi-fi only. So if you had it set to wi-fi only, took some pics, and hadn't gotten to a wi-fi network yet, the photos wouldn't have backed up.

In addition, you can select which folders to auto-backup. Photos and videos saved from other apps often go to a different directory than the /DCIM/Camera directory (where the Camera app saves photos and videos). When a new directory is created for photos/videos, you get an initial notification asking you if you want that directory to auto-backup as well (the default is not to auto-backup). You can also open Google Photos, swipe in from the left, tap Device Folders, and look for the directories that have a cloud icon with a line through it. Tapping this icon will turn auto-backup on for that directory.
    02-19-2016 10:40 PM
    Review this support page about Google Photo Auto Backup: https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6193313?hl=en. You can select if it should backup over mobile data (which can obviously impact your data allotment) or on wi-fi only. So if you had it set to wi-fi only, took some pics, and hadn't gotten to a wi-fi network yet, the photos wouldn't have backed up.

In addition, you can select which folders to auto-backup. Photos and videos saved from other apps often go to a different directory than the /DCIM/Camera directory (where the Camera app saves photos and videos). When a new directory is created for photos/videos, you get an initial notification asking you if you want that directory to auto-backup as well (the default is not to auto-backup). You can also open Google Photos, swipe in from the left, tap Device Folders, and look for the directories that have a cloud icon with a line through it. Tapping this icon will turn auto-backup on for that directory.
    Yea the Snapchats were taken on wi-fi & stored onto my phone. I don't think they were backed up (at least not that I can tell) then all of a sudden they're gone..
    02-22-2016 05:41 PM
    I don't have Snapchat, but my understanding is that its images are not meant to be permanent (which is one of their selling points), and I would guess that any local directory where Snapchat temporarily stores images will likely be hidden from the system's Media Scanner (which adds images to the Photos database). There's probably a ".nomedia" file in the directory where images are stored temporarily.
    02-23-2016 11:16 AM
    Well you can save the pics/vids to your phone which I did but somehow disappeared
    02-27-2016 04:10 PM
    Do you know which directory Snapchat saves to? Some apps may create their own specific directory (rather than using the /DCIM or /Pictures directory), so you may have to do some digging with My Files or some other file manager app to find that directory. If there's a .nomedia file in that directory, that could be why the photos don't appear in your Gallery.
    02-28-2016 04:36 PM