Anyone here switched to the nexus 6p? Thoughts?

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-17-2016 12:40 AM
    I have both -- I use the S6 Edge+. It depends on what is important to you.
    02-17-2016 08:05 AM
    I have both -- I use the S6 Edge+. It depends on what is important to you.
    Updates are very important. One more thing i care about is audio quality, i listen to alot of music through bluetooth headphones and wired ones.

02-17-2016 12:01 PM
    Updates are very important. One more thing i care about is audio quality, i listen to alot of music through bluetooth headphones and wired ones.

Updates are obviously faster and more frequent for the 6P. Sometimes that can be good -- other times you can be stuck with a problem that needs to be fixed. Some of Google's updates have caused problems for users. See the problems AT&T users are having getting reliable LTE performance after Google's latest update for the 6P. They are stuck waiting for the next update. You also have to wait for the apps to be updated to catch up with the updates. Many are just now being updated to work with marshmallow.

Sound is about the same on the two devices to me, especially using headphones. The LG V10 distinguishes itself from a sound standpoint, but the others don't, at least to me. I usually stream Spotify and they sound about the same.

The screen and camera are much better on the S6 Edge+. Samsung also has extras that may, or may not be important to you. I use my device for business and Google has nothing close to the email, calendar and contacts apps for me. The 6P is faster and has better battery life under similar use, although the S6 Edge+ is not bad at either. I have learned to set up my S6 Edge+ where it is pretty comparable for battery life, without sacrificing anything important to me, but if you use it without tweaking the settings (100% display brightness, unlimited location services, Google Now, etc.) battery life will suffer more on the S6 Edge+.

The 6P is big and heavy and slippery. The S6 Edge+ is much nicer to carry, use and hold.

It is also significant to me that AT&T, my network, does not support HD Voice of voice over LTE for the 6P, where it does for the S6 Edge+.

Again, as I said, it depends on what is important to you. They are both good devices with different strengths and weaknesses.
    02-17-2016 07:35 PM
    Im in canada and we dont have hd calling. I think im just gonna hild onto the device the since telus just announced that marshmallow is coming to the note 5 and s6 march 9th.

02-18-2016 02:56 PM
    Im in canada and we dont have hd calling. I think im just gonna hild onto the device the since telus just announced that marshmallow is coming to the note 5 and s6 march 9th.

I switched because AT&T was on October's security update in January. I love the Nexus 6P.

I don't have any LTE issues on AT&T, or any other major issues. I find the screen as close as it gets. The camera on the S6 Edge+ is definitely better, but the one on the 6P is very, very good. Really it's just a bit slower, and missing OIS which impacts videos.

Music quality is identical, whether through Bluetooth or direct Android Auto connection, or wifi/Chromecast Audio.

The fingerprint scanner position is better in my view on the Nexus, but that's completely subjective. But it is miles quicker on the Nexus.

Overall, the only things I really miss are:
    1. Samsung Pay, and it's ability to use anywhere due to MST
    2. Sexiness and feel of the S6 Edge+. It feels like a more premium device than the Nexus, although once you have a case on either, it's not noticeable.
    3. The speed and reliability of the Samsung camera. Although I have not had problems with the Nexus. It's quick enough.

What I prefer about the Nexus:
    1. Immediate security updates.
    2. Speed/smoothness and lack of any lag... Ever. Although with the S6 Edge+, I rarely ever saw lag.
    3. App switching is quicker since Samsung has such aggressive memory management and closed background apps more quickly.
    4. Everything just works on the Nexus. For example, with the Edge+, it's auto wifi after connecting to an available hotspot, didn't always prompt me immediately with the Accept terms screen of the public wifi. It was hit it miss. The Nexus gets it right every time.

As for apps, I didn't use all of the stock Samsung apps. I miss their calendar. But for email, I used Nine Exchange Email, and still think that's the best email client around.

Overall, if security is really important to you, and Telus us slow with the updates, If recommend switching. If not, I'd recommend sticking it out. The Samsung is a great phone.

02-21-2016 02:44 PM