Having issues with charging

the_what

Dec 8, 2020
Visit site
I've been having a lot of issues with my phone recently when it comes to charging. I plugged it in last night right before I fell asleep but maybe it started not charging for some reason? Either way I woke up to it dead when I wanted to check my messages and I got PISSED when I found out it died overnight. I left it charging, or at least I thought so.
My phone has a broken battery, so it'll take 4-8 hours to charge completely, sometimes even more. It's around Christmastime so I'm not gonna spend a ton to get it fixed when perhaps I might be able to get a new one for Christmas, but for now it's a problem that's seriously getting on my nerves. Luckily it's charging right now and isn't having problems, but is there something that happened? Is there any way I can fix this stupid slow charging problem on my own? Is there any way I can prevent this problem in the future?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What do you mean by a "broken battery"? It sounds more like the battery is deteriorating due to age and wear & tear, which can lead to faster battery drain and slower charging.

Another possibility is a loose or damaged USB port that is causing intermittent connection loss of the charging cable. Have you tried a wireless charger instead?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
4 hours isn't that unusual for regular charging (i.e., not fast charging), and an old/deteriorating battery will take longer to charge. If you're using a fast charger, then either the charger is faulty or the phone's fast charging circuitry is faulty. You could try getting a new fast charger.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So all of the fast chargers don't charge quickly? Have you also tried different cables? There can be certain cable requirements for fast charging to work as well.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Then it's likely either a problem with the phone's USB port or its battery. Not much you can do about that apart from bringing it to a repair shop, sorry.