So what gives the Edge the "Edge"?

Senden

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm quite interested in the edge model however other than aesthetic design, Samsung did a poor job of showcasing what it can actually do if anything. What actual functionality does it offer? When I first heard about the edge design last year, I assumed it would work in a similar fashion to say the task bar on windows giving you quick access to whatever you want and seamless transition between things for multitasking. Going by what was shown though, it looks like I might be jumping the gun a little bit with what is possible.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Notifications, widgets, whatever you don't want cluttering the screen, can go on the edges. That's about it.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
IME, it's a nice feature but not a killer feature at all. Getting the notifications on the Edge screen is nice.

from the venerable Note 3π 📱

Senden

May 31, 2011
Visit site
That's a shame, I'll probably go with the edge version still, hopefully they'll look at offering some better functionality in the future and really utilize their unique design.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking that they will allow different things to display at either edge panel. You can have some app notifications on the left and other things on the right.

We can look forward to more edge panels coming though since there will be two edge phones now. Till now, edge panels have been limited in that there are not many.

nishant786

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking that they will allow different things to display at either edge panel. You can have some app notifications on the left and other things on the right.

We can look forward to more edge panels coming though since there will be two edge phones now. Till now, edge panels have been limited in that there are not many.

Yeah thats what any sane person would hope and expect... right? So was i until i delved into the details. Nope the utility of our Edge phones has gone bye-bye. No shortcuts for apps, no edge panels, nada. Only stupid 'gimmicks' like the contact light stuff, the night clock etc.
Samsung has now gone in reverse... from a truly useful feature to a gimmick. I too was expecting that the s6 edge would make the edge panel ubiquitous and get us more features, but alas if Samsung doesn't screw one or two things up, how would it be called a successful product launch?

MRS DIVA

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
The Edge looks like a style over substance device. Sammy needs to concentrate on sensible functions over form.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 2

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Samsung has now gone in reverse... from a truly useful feature to a gimmick. I too was expecting that the s6 edge would make the edge panel ubiquitous and get us more features, but alas if Samsung doesn't screw one or two things up, how would it be called a successful product launch?

The "edge" concept is still new. Give Samsung (and application developers) some time to come up with unique and ingenious ideas on how it can be used. But let's not forget, the new edge design is only the cherry on top!! Quality materials, fast charging, 3GB RAM, QHD display and a lightning fast Exynos processor are the real reasons why I am seriously considering this beast! :D

abackholm

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
Do you know if the edges are just to display information, or does it work as a touch screen as well? I could imagine some good new user interfaces (e.g. sliders on edges) that could take advantage of the touch feature.

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Do you know if the edges are just to display information, or does it work as a touch screen as well? I could imagine some good new user interfaces (e.g. sliders on edges) that could take advantage of the touch feature.

The edges are responsive to touch. You can swipe the edges to reveal certain information - depending on what state your phone is in (e.g. lock screen vs. home screen, etc.)

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
The S6 and S6 Edge have the same screen resolution and ppi, but doesn't the Edge have more real estate.

Am I having a dumber Monday than usual?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the Edge variant has more screen real estate.

G3 📱🍭
So do you think the edges can be 'removed' by the user, the main screen is smaller than 5.1, or the edges are not counted in the screen specs and have a lower ppi.
(I know you have a Note Edge.)

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
So do you think the edges can be 'removed' by the user, the main screen is smaller than 5.1, or the edges are not counted in the screen specs and have a lower ppi.
(I know you have a Note Edge.)

My take was that the Edge was all part of the main screen. ...different from how it is on the Note Edge which is separate.

📱VI+🐉

w2xq

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
The show and tell reviews from the MWC suggests to me the edge functionality is bleh compared to the Note Edge. A few writers suggest unless the APIs are released to software devolopers not much use. No clue yet on the price differential over the S6. Performance specs are the same, so it seems.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: So what gives the Edge the "Edge"?

They do look a lot slimmer than the Note 4 edge, and not the same angle.

The next poster should start:
" ^^ eh, duhh! ....."

Last edited:

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Notifications, widgets, whatever you don't want cluttering the screen, can go on the edges. That's about it.

There's more to it than that. I recommend you go look at Note Edge to check it out. One other big feature it provides is that when you are working on the screen, any incoming calls show up on the edge and not in your face. THAT is a very nice feature. I have the Note Edge and it has actually proven to be more useful than I thought. Also, you can have more than one edge panel which absolutely comes in handy. Don't make assumptions or judgments til you take a closer look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax