03-20-2015 10:48 PM
27 12
tools
    I'm quite interested in the edge model however other than aesthetic design, Samsung did a poor job of showcasing what it can actually do if anything. What actual functionality does it offer? When I first heard about the edge design last year, I assumed it would work in a similar fashion to say the task bar on windows giving you quick access to whatever you want and seamless transition between things for multitasking. Going by what was shown though, it looks like I might be jumping the gun a little bit with what is possible.
    03-01-2015 01:22 PM
    Notifications, widgets, whatever you don't want cluttering the screen, can go on the edges. That's about it.
    03-01-2015 01:50 PM
    IME, it's a nice feature but not a killer feature at all. Getting the notifications on the Edge screen is nice.

from the venerable Note 3Ο€ πŸ“±βœ’
    03-01-2015 02:44 PM
    That's a shame, I'll probably go with the edge version still, hopefully they'll look at offering some better functionality in the future and really utilize their unique design.
    03-01-2015 03:36 PM
    I'm thinking that they will allow different things to display at either edge panel. You can have some app notifications on the left and other things on the right.

We can look forward to more edge panels coming though since there will be two edge phones now. Till now, edge panels have been limited in that there are not many.
    03-01-2015 08:18 PM
    Nothing compared to the Note Edge IMHO. But a lot in terms of design as compared to the S6 - most of all the newer look.
    03-01-2015 11:05 PM
    I'm thinking that they will allow different things to display at either edge panel. You can have some app notifications on the left and other things on the right.

We can look forward to more edge panels coming though since there will be two edge phones now. Till now, edge panels have been limited in that there are not many.
    Yeah thats what any sane person would hope and expect... right? So was i until i delved into the details. Nope the utility of our Edge phones has gone bye-bye. No shortcuts for apps, no edge panels, nada. Only stupid 'gimmicks' like the contact light stuff, the night clock etc.
    Samsung has now gone in reverse... from a truly useful feature to a gimmick. I too was expecting that the s6 edge would make the edge panel ubiquitous and get us more features, but alas if Samsung doesn't screw one or two things up, how would it be called a successful product launch?
    03-01-2015 11:05 PM
    The Edge looks like a style over substance device. Sammy needs to concentrate on sensible functions over form.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 2
    03-02-2015 02:18 AM
    The Edge looks like a style over substance device. Sammy needs to concentrate on sensible functions over form.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 2
    For that, they have the Note series.

G3 πŸ“±πŸ­
    ollihandro likes this.
    03-02-2015 05:39 AM
    Samsung has now gone in reverse... from a truly useful feature to a gimmick. I too was expecting that the s6 edge would make the edge panel ubiquitous and get us more features, but alas if Samsung doesn't screw one or two things up, how would it be called a successful product launch?
    The "edge" concept is still new. Give Samsung (and application developers) some time to come up with unique and ingenious ideas on how it can be used. But let's not forget, the new edge design is only the cherry on top!! Quality materials, fast charging, 3GB RAM, QHD display and a lightning fast Exynos processor are the real reasons why I am seriously considering this beast!
    03-02-2015 10:15 AM
    Do you know if the edges are just to display information, or does it work as a touch screen as well? I could imagine some good new user interfaces (e.g. sliders on edges) that could take advantage of the touch feature.
    03-02-2015 01:41 PM
    Do you know if the edges are just to display information, or does it work as a touch screen as well? I could imagine some good new user interfaces (e.g. sliders on edges) that could take advantage of the touch feature.
    The edges are responsive to touch. You can swipe the edges to reveal certain information - depending on what state your phone is in (e.g. lock screen vs. home screen, etc.)
    abackholm likes this.
    03-02-2015 02:26 PM
    The S6 and S6 Edge have the same screen resolution and ppi, but doesn't the Edge have more real estate.

Am I having a dumber Monday than usual?
    03-02-2015 03:23 PM
    The S6 and S6 Edge have the same screen resolution and ppi, but doesn't the Edge have more real estate.

Am I having a dumber Monday than usual?
    I don't think the Edge variant has more screen real estate.

G3 πŸ“±πŸ­
    03-02-2015 03:37 PM
    I don't think the Edge variant has more screen real estate.

G3 πŸ“±πŸ­
    So do you think the edges can be 'removed' by the user, the main screen is smaller than 5.1, or the edges are not counted in the screen specs and have a lower ppi.
    (I know you have a Note Edge.)
    03-02-2015 03:54 PM
    So do you think the edges can be 'removed' by the user, the main screen is smaller than 5.1, or the edges are not counted in the screen specs and have a lower ppi.
    (I know you have a Note Edge.)
    My take was that the Edge was all part of the main screen. ...different from how it is on the Note Edge which is separate.

πŸ“±VI+πŸ‰
    ollihandro and anon8380037 like this.
    03-02-2015 06:17 PM
    The show and tell reviews from the MWC suggests to me the edge functionality is bleh compared to the Note Edge. A few writers suggest unless the APIs are released to software devolopers not much use. No clue yet on the price differential over the S6. Performance specs are the same, so it seems.
    03-02-2015 08:13 PM
    the edges are cool to show to your friends and relatives,lol
    03-03-2015 02:02 AM
    They do look a lot slimmer than the Note 4 edge, and not the same angle.

The next poster should start:
    " ^^ eh, duhh! ....."
    03-03-2015 11:47 AM
    Notifications, widgets, whatever you don't want cluttering the screen, can go on the edges. That's about it.
    There's more to it than that. I recommend you go look at Note Edge to check it out. One other big feature it provides is that when you are working on the screen, any incoming calls show up on the edge and not in your face. THAT is a very nice feature. I have the Note Edge and it has actually proven to be more useful than I thought. Also, you can have more than one edge panel which absolutely comes in handy. Don't make assumptions or judgments til you take a closer look.
    03-03-2015 01:26 PM
    for me the edge is really nice but what stands out between the 2 i would say the 5 contacts that you can easily pull out from the lock screen I love that quick and clean access. Once the note 5 edge comes out i'll be all over that lol.
    03-06-2015 11:38 AM
    Yeah thats what any sane person would hope and expect... right? So was i until i delved into the details. Nope the utility of our Edge phones has gone bye-bye. No shortcuts for apps, no edge panels, nada. Only stupid 'gimmicks' like the contact light stuff, the night clock etc.
    So go buy something else. It amazes me how people complain about EVERYTHING. Everybody seems to know better than the manufacturers how things should be, but here you are with the rest of us buying THEIR product. If you don't like it, go elsewhere. It is a very easy concept.
    03-07-2015 02:25 PM
    So go buy something else. It amazes me how people complain about EVERYTHING. Everybody seems to know better than the manufacturers how things should be, but here you are with the rest of us buying THEIR product. If you don't like it, go elsewhere. It is a very easy concept.
    That sentiment certainly seems logical.

G3 πŸ“±πŸ­
    03-07-2015 03:41 PM
    The cutting edge design is what give Samsung the edge. Samsung take chance compare to the competition. To me it looks better than the galaxy 6. But I must admit, Samsung did a good job overall with the design of both phones. I always thought if Samsung made a metal device and add some elegance to the software other OEM would be in trouble. They are half way there.

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-07-2015 07:33 PM
    The cutting edge design is what give Samsung the edge. Samsung take chance compare to the competition. To me it looks better than the galaxy 6. But I must admit, Samsung did a good job overall with the design of both phones. I always thought if Samsung made a metal device and add some elegance to the software other OEM would be in trouble. They are half way there.

Posted via the Android Central App
    You have a very valid point. Samsung has been, and remains, willing to take risks. They'll innovate or put a product out in the market and see if it sticks. That's one of the benefits of them being so large. If something they try is a complete failure they can absorb the hit. ...and we, the customers, seem to benefit.

β™»from the Note III🍢
    ollihandro likes this.
    03-13-2015 10:22 AM
27 12