Samsung Extended Service Plan

Do you plan on getting an extended service plan from Samsung?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Juliann826

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Anyone looking into purchasing an extended service plan from Samsung? This is probably more for those buying the S6 or S6 Edge without a contract. I plan on purchasing an S6 Edge 64gb, which is looking to be about $950+ with tax. Such an expensive phone, I'm terrified of anything possibly happening to it. $100 for 2 years, 3 replacements, and a $75-$95 deductible for each claim seems to be a pretty good deal.

• Covers accidental damage from handling – drops, spills, and/or cracked screens
  • Covers electrical and mechanical failures
  • Advanced exchange – replacement within two (2) business days
  • 24/7/364 customer support (Closed Christmas Day)
  • Up to three (3) claims allowed during coverage period

tried to post the link however I don't have a high enough post count yet, if you google "samsung protection plus mobile elite plan" it should be the first link.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like a decent plan, but I'd still invest the extra about $50 in an Ottebox Defender. After accidentally playing handball with my phone, I know how much shock that case can protect a phone from. Dropping from face height to concrete? It wouldn't even notice.

chickweedblur

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Its pretty good but it doesn't cover loss or theft. Verizon's plans cover loss buy have such a high deductible that's all the are good for. You can get a cracked screen replaced by Apple at their stores for $99-$129 while you wait with no service plan making a $200 deductible and having to send your phone in pretty stupid.

I'm guessing your average kiosk at the mall is not going to be able to fix the screen on the S6 or Edge so it's probably worth it. Cases are fine but with the Edge I don't see how you can retain the usefulness of it and protect it. If I get this it's either going to be case-less or with a very minimal case on it.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I haven't seen a single case that appears to hinder the Edge functionality at all. Just like the regular edge, the case just goes over the end of the metal lip. Just as much screen is covered on the edge version as there is on the regular version.

As far as Samsung warranty, what OP said sounds identical to Square Trade as far as pricing and deductible goes. I'm undecided if I'm going to get it yet.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Its pretty good but it doesn't cover loss or theft. Verizon's plans cover loss buy have such a high deductible that's all the are good for. You can get a cracked screen replaced by Apple at their stores for $99-$129 while you wait with no service plan making a $200 deductible and having to send your phone in pretty stupid.

I'm guessing your average kiosk at the mall is not going to be able to fix the screen on the S6 or Edge so it's probably worth it. Cases are fine but with the Edge I don't see how you can retain the usefulness of it and protect it. If I get this it's either going to be case-less or with a very minimal case on it.

I have had to use the Verizon / Asurion insurance two times now...once for me and once for my wife....and I am glad I had it! I never wait until my contract is up to upgrade so I buy full price. :(

Never lost a phone, nor have I had one stolen...but Samsung doesn't replace under these circumstances so if you have no phone to send back all the $$$$$$ spent on insurance is vapor! I would rather spend a little more knowing I am protected. Especially with what these "toys" cost today.

Juliann826

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site

I had the verizon insurance for like $7.99 however when I made a claim about my 2013 Moto X Developer Edition they would not replace it with a Dev Edition so I cancelled it. Probably a mistake for sure. I hope Verizon plans on having one of their insurance enrollment programs so I can enroll in that (I plan on buying the S6 Edge off contract).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I had the verizon insurance for like $7.99 however when I made a claim about my 2013 Moto X Developer Edition they would not replace it with a Dev Edition so I cancelled it. Probably a mistake for sure. I hope Verizon plans on having one of their insurance enrollment programs so I can enroll in that (I plan on buying the S6 Edge off contract).
You can add insurance when you buy new hardware

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Why can't you, you are on their network buying their hardware. Its just an option to add on and if they refuse you then refuse to use them. I know carrier insurance is a racket, but given the cost of a 128GB Edge I and while I have yet to lose or have one stolen its still alot of coin.

darthhen

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Good thread. I'm planning to buy the Edge in full price. Will definitely get the insurance. I learned my lesson once when I dropped my current phone.

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Stirring up an old thread as I'm looking to get insurance since I purchased the phone at full price. Strongly considering the Samsung elite protection. Anyone else get this?