S6 edge Review: Android Authority

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge review: the edge is here to stay

For those still on the fence about performance and battery life, I figured this may help. 4 hours on screen with 16 hours of use. That's about what I expected and I'd bet it can do slightly better depending on the user. The only blip with performance is with My Magazine, which I wholeheartedly agree with. Good news is that can be disabled and eventually fixed. It also may be more of a Flipboard issue, but I don't know for sure.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: S6 Edge Review/Android Authority

This sounds much better than yesterday. I'm pretty sure with some management on brightness, location, sync, ~15% more can be easily squeezed out.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
This sounds much better than yesterday. I'm pretty sure with some management on brightness, location, sync, ~15% more can be easily squeezed out.

One of these days people will listen to me. Ha. One of these days.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

One of these days people will listen to me. Ha. One of these days.

I trust you. Others not so much. You may want to look up the definition of insanity in terms of others who dug in like ticks with the one review that they trust.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

edgefever

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

I trust you. Others not so much. You may want to look up the definition of insanity in terms of others who dug in like ticks with the one review that they trust.

With all do respect.... That's what your doing with this review.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

With all do respect.... That's what your doing with this review.

I don't think anyone is taking this review as gospel. If they are, they shouldn't. It just provides important context because it's more in line with other reviews and actually posted battery screens where others haven't.

edgefever

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

I don't think anyone is taking this review as gospel. If they are, they shouldn't. It just provides important context because it's more in line with other reviews and actually posted battery screens where others haven't.

I'm looking forward to your review,,,and screens

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

If talking about me, I would like to correct you and say that I didn't rely on just one video. In fact I also quoted Android Authority S6 review and mentioned their results. In the link below, he gets 3 3/4 hours of screen on time with just shy of 14 hours total. But he did test the phone at only.... 25% brightness.

If he tested like Andrew and used Auto mode, his screen on time will far less.

With that said, I'm more relaxed about the battery life of this phone now that more people are talking about how they arrive at thier usage times.
The phone clearly has anyware from 1 to 1 1/2 less hours of screen on time then the S5. I think we can all agree with that regardless of Andrew's findings.

Here is the S6 review if you don't want to watch the Edge review above.
Samsung Galaxy S6 Review!: https://youtu.be/5BvNHWQ-BiA

Posted via Android Central App

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

With all due respect, you can't have your cake and eat it to.
In other words, you can't use this review to make your point, then turn sind and say but you're not relying on it as gospel or the truth.

That is the problem, if some information is useful to you and positive in nature, then you'll run with it and praise it to the holy Samsung God. But if it's bad news, then we should just take it with a grain of salt and not worrie about it or adapt and change.

Do you even see what you're doing?

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

With all due respect, you can't have your cake and eat it to.
In other words, you can't use this review to make your point, then turn sind and say but you're not relying on it as gospel or the truth.

That is the problem, if some information is useful to you and positive in nature, then you'll run with it and praise it to the holy Samsung God. But if it's bad news, then we should just take it with a grain of salt and not worrie about it or adapt and change.

Do you even see what you're doing?

I just took a positive review that contradicts what you've been saying and said NOT to take it as gospel as it's important context and nothing more. It's in line with other reviews and in line what I've been saying, but it's just good context, not proof. You're trying to pick a fight that just isn't there. I'm not sure what your problem is, but you should probably take a break from this. You're a tad too worked up over it.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

I just took a positive review that contradicts what you've been saying and said NOT to take it as gospel as it's important context and nothing more. It's in line with other reviews and in line what I've been saying, but it's just good context, not proof. You're trying to pick a fight that just isn't there. I'm not sure what your problem is, but you should probably take a break from this. You're a tad too worked up over it.

When you further state that people should listen to you based on this review you are doing exactly what I'm saying.
I've also refuted the battery results based on testing methods used twice now (once in this thread) to show its not too far off from Andrew if it was tested at the same settings.

With that said, I'm getting the phone. If I can't get at least 4 hours of screen on time with my normal usage habits then I'll just return it. You would know this if you paid attention to my latest posts.

Again, with that said.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

When you further state that people should listen to you based on this review you are doing exactly what I'm saying.
I've also refuted the battery results based on testing methods used twice now (once in this thread) to show its not too far off from Andrew if it was tested at the same settings.

With that said, I'm getting the phone. If I can't get at least 4 hours of screen on time with my normal usage habits then I'll just return it. You would know this if you paid attention to my latest posts.

Again, with that said.

Again, still context, not proof. You haven't refuted anything, actually. Someone posts screen shots and you say it's not enough usage. Someone else posts them and now it's a dispute in brightness settings used. You're just trying to push a narrative based on one user's account of a phone and when multiple other accounts contradict it, you try to attack their results.

I'm not saying this to be rude, but I honestly don't care if you're getting the phone or whether it suits your needs. I'm just sharing information and providing my experience. What you do just doesn't matter to me. I'm just telling you that you're a bit too worked up about this and should let it go.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Again, still context, not proof. You haven't refuted anything, actually. Someone posts screen shots and you say it's not enough usage. Someone else posts them and now it's a dispute in brightness settings used. You're just trying to push a narrative based on one user's account of a phone and when multiple other accounts contradict it, you try to attack their results.

I'm not saying this to be rude, but I honestly don't care if you're getting the phone or whether it suits your needs. I'm just sharing information and providing my experience. What you do just doesn't matter to me. I'm just telling you that you're a bit too worked up about this and should let it go.

I stand by my statements about the usage in the screen shots posted in the other thread based on poof that it couldn't be heavy usage and showed what heavy usage is with my screen shots as evidence to that fact. If you want to ignore my evidence, be my guest. You're doing exactly what I stayed here.

I was never trying to push any narrative at all. The thread in question asked a question and I stated my thoughts. I and Andrew's battery findings were attacked. Anything else I've said like right now is also being dismissed or disagreed with even thought I post up a link that proves my point.

If you don't understand that screen on times will change due to brightness lvls then I can't help you. But for others, testing the phone with 30% screen brightness will have far more sot the at 100%, or with Andrew's case set to Auto mode.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

I stand by my statements about the usage in the screen shots posted in the other thread based on poof that it couldn't be heavy usage and showed what heavy usage is with my screen shots as evidence to that fact. If you want to ignore my evidence, be my guest. You're doing exactly what I stayed here.

I was never trying to push any narrative at all. The thread in question asked a question and I stated my thoughts. I and Andrew's battery findings were attacked. Anything else I've said like right now is also being dismissed or disagreed with even thought I post up a link that proves my point.

If you don't understand that screen on times will change due to brightness lvls then I can't help you. But for others, testing the phone with 30% screen brightness will have far more sot the at 100%, or with Andrew's case set to Auto mode.

"It couldn't be heavy usage" because you saw 2 items under the screen percentage and concluded that wasn't what heavy usage looks like. I didn't know you were the authority of what heavy usage is. I also didn't know you could predict the myriad of other apps that could have been listed below said items that could have used the battery. I dismissed it because it was more amusing than it was evidence.

Where in Android Authority's reviews of either phone do they mention their screen brightness during testing? I must have missed that. All the screens I've seen, coupled with all the anecdotal evidence, all point to being able to get 4 hours screen on time or slightly more over the course of 12-16 hours. You've taken one statement for Andrew and ran with it. Why we keep having this conversation is beyond me. When I get my S6, I'll be more than glad to come right back here and post the screens showing what I've been saying.

Until then, I'll let other people do it for me and watch you attempt to disprove their findings because Andrew Martonik said so.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
"It couldn't be heavy usage" because you saw 2 items under the screen percentage and concluded that wasn't what heavy usage looks like. I didn't know you were the authority of what heavy usage is. I also didn't know you could predict the myriad of other apps that could have been listed below said items that could have used the battery. I dismissed it because it was more amusing than it was evidence.

Where in Android Authority's reviews of either phone do they mention their screen brightness during testing? I must have missed that. All the screens I've seen, coupled with all the anecdotal evidence, all point to being able to get 4 hours screen on time or slightly more over the course of 12-16 hours. You've taken one statement for Andrew and ran with it. Why we keep having this conversation is beyond me. When I get my S6, I'll be more than glad to come right back here and post the screens showing what I've been saying.

Until then, I'll let other people do it for me and watch you attempt to disprove their findings because Andrew Martonik said so.

Using a ton of apps that utilize almost no battery life like the Android Central App, even for hours is not heavy usage due to it using even less battery then keyboards. Now if he utilized apps that drain the battery more like taking videos, watching YouTube, Web browsing, and other things, then something if not most things will be higher than the Android system.

I'm not in anyway saying the phone wasn't used. Our that it wasn't for enough hours. But that the apps listed in the screen shots didn't provide proof that heavy usage was done... At least my definition of heavy usage.

I, by the way didn't have to predict anything about a screen shot proving me wrong. The screen shots had to show how I was wrong, and it failed to do so. So again, since it didn't show how I was wrong, it wasn't relevant to use as proof. You clearly can't understand this and continue to argue over such silliness.

As for the settings and findings for what the battery life was in the Android Authority video of the S6 non edge, it is in the video that I (not you) just posted. That same link I posted in the other thread as well.

Oh, and once again in this thread I'm stating that for clarification, I'm not dismissing totally Andrew's findings but I'm still going to get the phone because others who also used the phone say his numbers have to be off or are just based on his methods of usage that have to be extreme (too much media feeds, auto brightness might be a battery drain compared to other phones, and so on) and not what is normal.

To think that he told me to do something like push some agenda or tell others to disregard some battery life tests from other websites is just delusional. I think that the person who has gotten all worked up here is you and you need to chill and stop dismissing evidence or proof when posted.

But above all, I think that we can at least agree that 4 hours or so of screen on time might be average or typical for this year's phones. But it is still at least 25% less than last year's models and that my friend is not a wonderful thing.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Using a ton of apps that utilize almost no battery life like the Android Central App, even for hours is not heavy usage due to it using even less battery then keyboards. Now if he utilized apps that drain the battery more like taking videos, watching YouTube, Web browsing, and other things, then something if not most things will be higher than the Android system.

I'm not in anyway saying the phone wasn't used. Our that it wasn't for enough hours. But that the apps listed in the screen shots didn't provide proof that heavy usage was done... At least my definition of heavy usage.

I, by the way didn't have to predict anything about a screen shot proving me wrong. The screen shots had to show how I was wrong, and it failed to do so. So again, since it didn't show how I was wrong, it wasn't relevant to use as proof. You clearly can't understand this and continue to argue over such silliness.

As for the settings and findings for what the battery life was in the Android Authority video of the S6 non edge, it is in the video that I (not you) just posted. That same link I posted in the other thread as well.

Oh, and once again in this thread I'm stating that for clarification, I'm not dismissing totally Andrew's findings but I'm still going to get the phone because others who also used the phone say his numbers have to be off or are just based on his methods of usage that have to be extreme (too much media feeds, auto brightness might be a battery drain compared to other phones, and so on) and not what is normal.

To think that he told me to do something like push some agenda or tell others to disregard some battery life tests from other websites is just delusional. I think that the person who has gotten all worked up here is you and you need to chill and stop dismissing evidence or proof when posted.

But above all, I think that we can at least agree that 4 hours or so of screen on time might be average or typical for this year's phones. But it is still at least 25% less than last year's models and that my friend is not a wonderful thing.

"At least in my definition of heavy usage". Enough said on the screen shots. I actually didn't watch the video; I read the review. You haven't offered any proof of anything other than you don't agree it was heavy usage because it doesn't fit your idea of what heavy usage is. We can't make that determination because we can't see the whole thing, but you don't seem to mind doing so.

Battery life is so subjective when it comes to usage, but seeing enough people reach the 4 hour mark shows that the battery life isn't as horrible as Andrew was saying 3 days into having the phone. I didn't say he told you to do anything, but you latched onto his words and started raising the white flag on the S6. People told you that you were wrong. You persisted.

You took one person's account and acted like the sky was falling. As more evidence has emerged, as if there wasn't enough already, that the battery was better than what you were thinking it was, you've been scrambling to hold onto being "right". Sorry that didn't work out for you.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

"At least in my definition of heavy usage". Enough said on the screen shots. I actually didn't watch the video; I read the review. You haven't offered any proof of anything other than you don't agree it was heavy usage because it doesn't fit your idea of what heavy usage is. We can't make that determination because we can't see the whole thing, but you don't seem to mind doing so.

Battery life is so subjective when it comes to usage, but seeing enough people reach the 4 hour mark shows that the battery life isn't as horrible as Andrew was saying 3 days into having the phone. I didn't say he told you to do anything, but you latched onto his words and started raising the white flag on the S6. People told you that you were wrong. You persisted.

You took one person's account and acted like the sky was falling. As more evidence has emerged, as if there wasn't enough already, that the battery was better than what you were thinking it was, you've been scrambling to hold onto being "right". Sorry that didn't work out for you.

The reason why you don't understand what I'm saying is because you my friend have taken my thoughts and twisted it to fit your agenda.

I never said that I refused to get this phone based on Andrew's battery life results. I never raised the white flag.
I said that I have concerns and was on the fence as to what I'm going to do. I stated repeatedly that I only want this phone and no other. I also have said that after a few people who are not testing this phone but "using" it right now spoke to me, that I'm slowly climbing down from the fence and will most likely preorder the phone on the 3rd.
(I'm sorry that you didn't notice such statements from me, but you seem to have a problem paying attention in more things then just reviews)

What bothered me was not that I or Andrew was wrong, but that I was told to adapt or embrace change that in my book might be for the worse. That my friend will never make sense to me no matter how you slice it.

I so totally agree that nobody here is going to agree with what light to medium to heavy use is. But I at least made it clear enough as what my thoughts are on this subject and showed an example.

The screen shots in question clearly don't show any battery intensive usage (or to help you agree with me), or it at least didn't show much of anything that can be used as proof that the SoC was doing much more then running slightly more then on standby. If that is enough proof of heavy use for you then I'm down with that too.
But personally if I'm testing a phone I'm doing more than the author. I'll shoot a lot of pics, Videos, browse the Web for good 30 mins or more, use some social media, and watch some YouTube. If I still have plenty of battery I'll even do some gaming. But with my use in such an example you'll find a few things above the system and kernel, maybe not allot but not nothing. But this really doesn't matter because like you said, battery life is subjective and even if I agree with you I'm not sure you'll accept my agreement.

I agree that I did kind of ran with Andrew's opinion. After all, I like how he tests tablets and phones. He basically runs his tests on all devices more or less the same. So it is easy to compare to other phones that he tests and uses.
What you might not know is that I questioned his results and told him that he must have a broken phone due to his results NOT being close to others. His reply was that he had both the Edge and the normal so he finds it hard to believe that he had two lemons.

Not having two lemons still doesn't explain the drastically different results. So I started paying more attention to just how others are testing the phones.

There are always things left out of reviews. Sometimes they aren't important. Sometimes they are. Screen brightness is almost never discussed and I went right to the videos looking for things left out of the written or verbal part of the reviews. What I've found in some cases but bit all is that if by chance they showed what their screen brightness levels being used were I took notice of it.

In my link I saw, not heard but saw that when showing his battery results he briefly showed his screen brightness level. It was at about 25 to 30 percent.
Now if he was using the phone at the time in a dark room I would dismiss this entirely. But it was a brightly lit room that most would use a much higher brightness level.

To some this brightness level is nothing at all and should be dismissed. But I have to question anyone who would test a phone with such brightness levels. If he's doing so on a brightly lit up room then maybe, just maybe he is doing so to "adapt and embrace change" so to speak with a phone that has questionable battery life.
and while this is NOT definitive proof of anything, it was and in some ways still stuck in my head as to why it say done at all if not too save battery life. And if this was so, then it would explain his better results then Andrew and if tested in the same manner then would hey almost the same results.
(you know damb well that there are going to be trolls that will provide proof of 10 hour SoT on their S6, but hide the fact that they had screen brightness at 10%...it happens every year)

Speaking about brightness levels, since most are not testing using auto mode, maybe auto at this time is a battery hog and needs an update. It would explain allot. But no I never thought that the sky was falling but like I said I was concerned. I'm not so much now. Now my only thoughts are if after having the m8 and before it the S4, could I live with less screen on time then my S4.
that's not a huge deal, but it's something to think about when is a good half hour less then my S4 and an hour and a half less then my m8. I refuse to allow ultra battery mode to enter my life with my old phones, so I'm not going to start now.

But I'm almost at the bottom of the fence, so maybe you'll give this old fart a helping hand and ease my grip from it. Again, I do want this phone. I just can't go back to 2012 battery life with normal use.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

The reason why you don't understand what I'm saying is because you my friend have taken my thoughts and twisted it to fit your agenda.

I never said that I refused to get this phone based on Andrew's battery life results. I never raised the white flag.
I said that I have concerns and was on the fence as to what I'm going to do. I stated repeatedly that I only want this phone and no other. I also have said that after a few people who are not testing this phone but "using" it right now spoke to me, that I'm slowly climbing down from the fence and will most likely preorder the phone on the 3rd.
(I'm sorry that you didn't notice such statements from me, but you seem to have a problem paying attention in more things then just reviews)

What bothered me was not that I or Andrew was wrong, but that I was told to adapt or embrace change that in my book might be for the worse. That my friend will never make sense to me no matter how you slice it.

I so totally agree that nobody here is going to agree with what light to medium to heavy use is. But I at least made it clear enough as what my thoughts are on this subject and showed an example.

The screen shots in question clearly don't show any battery intensive usage (or to help you agree with me), or it at least didn't show much of anything that can be used as proof that the SoC was doing much more then running slightly more then on standby. If that is enough proof of heavy use for you then I'm down with that too.
But personally if I'm testing a phone I'm doing more than the author. I'll shoot a lot of pics, Videos, browse the Web for good 30 mins or more, use some social media, and watch some YouTube. If I still have plenty of battery I'll even do some gaming. But with my use in such an example you'll find a few things above the system and kernel, maybe not allot but not nothing. But this really doesn't matter because like you said, battery life is subjective and even if I agree with you I'm not sure you'll accept my agreement.

I agree that I did kind of ran with Andrew's opinion. After all, I like how he tests tablets and phones. He basically runs his tests on all devices more or less the same. So it is easy to compare to other phones that he tests and uses.
What you might not know is that I questioned his results and told him that he must have a broken phone due to his results NOT being close to others. His reply was that he had both the Edge and the normal so he finds it hard to believe that he had two lemons.

Not having two lemons still doesn't explain the drastically different results. So I started paying more attention to just how others are testing the phones.

There are always things left out of reviews. Sometimes they aren't important. Sometimes they are. Screen brightness is almost never discussed and I went right to the videos looking for things left out of the written or verbal part of the reviews. What I've found in some cases but bit all is that if by chance they showed what their screen brightness levels being used were I took notice of it.

In my link I saw, not heard but saw that when showing his battery results he briefly showed his screen brightness level. It was at about 25 to 30 percent.
Now if he was using the phone at the time in a dark room I would dismiss this entirely. But it was a brightly lit room that most would use a much higher brightness level.

To some this brightness level is nothing at all and should be dismissed. But I have to question anyone who would test a phone with such brightness levels. If he's doing so on a brightly lit up room then maybe, just maybe he is doing so to "adapt and embrace change" so to speak with a phone that has questionable battery life.
and while this is NOT definitive proof of anything, it was and in some ways still stuck in my head as to why it say done at all if not too save battery life. And if this was so, then it would explain his better results then Andrew and if tested in the same manner then would hey almost the same results.
(you know damb well that there are going to be trolls that will provide proof of 10 hour SoT on their S6, but hide the fact that they had screen brightness at 10%...it happens every year)

Speaking about brightness levels, since most are not testing using auto mode, maybe auto at this time is a battery hog and needs an update. It would explain allot. But no I never thought that the sky was falling but like I said I was concerned. I'm not so much now. Now my only thoughts are if after having the m8 and before it the S4, could I live with less screen on time then my S4.
that's not a huge deal, but it's something to think about when is a good half hour less then my S4 and an hour and a half less then my m8. I refuse to allow ultra battery mode to enter my life with my old phones, so I'm not going to start now.

But I'm almost at the bottom of the fence, so maybe you'll give this old fart a helping hand and ease my grip from it. Again, I do want this phone. I just can't go back to 2012 battery life with normal use.

I went back and watched the video and noticed he said nothing of the sort about the brightness level, so before I could say anything I read your response and noticed you literally saw it on the video and assumed that's how he had it the entire time he used it. I really don't know what to say. I can appreciate your attentiveness, I guess? I really don't know what else to say about it.

You keep bringing up the fact that you're getting the phone like that excuses your assumptions or that if I know that you're getting it, I'll feel like I won or something. I'm not trying to sell anyone on the device. I'm not going to agree with everyone just because they're also getting the phone. That doesn't mean squat to me.

With that said, reading through the novel of responses you've written to me has become really tedious. We disagree on the battery life for this phone. You use your phone how you want, I'll use mine, and that'll be that.

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site

Not to step in too far into this ongoing dialogue, but one subjective observation: I just got my Edge today, and I think many people would actually find 25 to 30% brightness more than sufficient even in a bright room. I ended up somewhere around 33% and like having it there. (And I am NOT particularly tolerant of dim screens.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey