S6 edge Review: Android Authority

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: S6 Edge Review/Android Authority

Not to step in too far into this ongoing dialogue, but one subjective observation: I just got my Edge today, and I think many people would actually find 25 to 30% brightness more than sufficient even in a bright room. I ended up somewhere around 33% and like having it there. (And I am NOT particularly tolerant of dim screens.)

I'm glad more and more people are getting these in hand. I agree regarding the brightness, especially on that display. How do you like it so far?

Posted via the Android Central App

flamingoezz

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site

gsmarena has a comparison up of m9 vs s6 -- which includes battery testing. the video loop they run seem pretty consistent across phones they test, so i looked up the iphone6 review (the phone im using now) on their site. s6 has a slightly better battery than ip6, which is good enough for me. i get a bigger, sharper screen, comparable battery and camera in a similar size.

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site

I'm glad more and more people are getting these in hand. I agree regarding the brightness, especially on that display. How do you like it so far?

Some may validly question the wisdom of Samsung ditching the memory card and disposable battery, but when they went for the premium look/feel, they absolutely NAILED it.

But very importantly it's not just a pretty face, in practical ways the phone is amazing: the screen and camera are absolutely best-of-class, whether android or iOS or any windows phone other than possibly the Lumia 1020. (And I've owned a silly amount of phones. 1 person, 3 lines, blahblahblah). Touchwiz always kept me on the HTC/LG/Nexus side of things in the past but their new UI is generally quite nice. My first feeling is it's now better than LG's and not too far off Sense. (Which is high praise, since I *really* like Sense).

Phone speed is excellent, everything flies and flows smoothly. Going to/from the Flipboard magazine to the left of home is the only place I've seen any hesitation, and once actually IN there it's fine.

I can't really say the edge features are "must-have", but I like them. I especially like edge pulse of color that varies based on who a call/text is from, and my superficial side thinks it just looks wicked cool.

Used a pic of one of my cats for my background. Did I mention the camera is great? ;-)

puck desktop.jpg

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

Some may validly question the wisdom of Samsung ditching the memory card and disposable battery, but when they went for the premium look/feel, they absolutely NAILED it.

But very importantly it's not just a pretty face, in practical ways the phone is amazing: the screen and camera are absolutely best-of-class, whether android or iOS or any windows phone other than possibly the Lumia 1020. (And I've owned a silly amount of phones. 1 person, 3 lines, blahblahblah). Touchwiz always kept me on the HTC/LG/Nexus side of things in the past but their new UI is generally quite nice. My first feeling is it's now better than LG's and not too far off Sense. (Which is high praise, since I *really* like Sense).

Phone speed is excellent, everything flies and flows smoothly. Going to/from the Flipboard magazine to the left of home is the only place I've seen any hesitation, and once actually IN there it's fine.

I can't really say the edge features are "must-have", but I like them. I especially like edge pulse of color that varies based on who a call/text is from, and my superficial side thinks it just looks wicked cool.

Used a pic of one of my cats for my background. Did I mention the camera is great? ;-)

View attachment 168783

I saw you post that picture on the Edge forum earlier and was very impressed. The detail in that lighting is really, really impressive. The fact you took it quickly is equally as impressive. I opted for the Black Sapphire S6 Edge, too, so I'm glad you're enjoying it. If Samsung ever opts to include Google Now as the first page to the left on Touchwiz, I think that would make most everyone happy.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

I just took a positive review that contradicts what you've been saying and said NOT to take it as gospel as it's important context and nothing more. It's in line with other reviews and in line what I've been saying, but it's just good context, not proof. You're trying to pick a fight that just isn't there. I'm not sure what your problem is, but you should probably take a break from this. You're a tad too worked up over it.

You can't have a reasonable discussion where differing points of view are respected and valued but they are ridiculed with immature sarcasm. When you don't share their opinion, they feel the need to educate you. Instead of exchanging views in a thoughtful manner, they also feel the need to twist statements so that they feel validated in their opinion which is the only one that counts with them and the rest of the world needs to get with their program.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

You can't have a reasonable discussion where differing points of view are respected and valued but they are ridiculed with immature sarcasm. When you don't share their opinion, they feel the need to educate you. Instead of exchanging views in a thoughtful manner, they also feel the need to twist statements so that they feel validated in their opinion which is the only one that counts with them and the rest of the world needs to get with their program.

It's all good. I think it was handled.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Not to step in too far into this ongoing dialogue, but one subjective observation: I just got my Edge today, and I think many people would actually find 25 to 30% brightness more than sufficient even in a bright room. I ended up somewhere around 33% and like having it there. (And I am NOT particularly tolerant of dim screens.)

I keep my GS4 at about that brightness, keep a vigilant eye to make sure that apps are not left running and have powering saving mode at 15%. There are a lot of things that users can a manage battery consumption.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site

I dont get why reviewers/people who take pictures of cell phones must put the dang phone screen down on rock/cement? Regardless if they are scratch resistant you are still probably doing very tiny scratches on the screen and/or bezel.

Is looking at a phone laying face down on some sort of rocky surface make it more appealing?

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site

I dont get why reviewers/people who take pictures of cell phones must put the dang phone screen down on rock/cement? Regardless if they are scratch resistant you are still probably doing very tiny scratches on the screen and/or bezel.

Is looking at a phone laying face down on some sort of rocky surface make it more appealing?

Well, reviewers are using review units, so it's not like it's their own personal 2 year contract handset. It's aesthetic mainly I guess. Taking a shot of the phone in question on a rock with the waves lapping in the background is probably nicer to look at than taking it on their bed or dining table.