S6's New Circular Wireless Charging Pad: Always ON LED! Not good for bedside!

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
i was shocked to read that the LEDs on the sides of the new circular wireless charging pad CANNOT be disabled, for example, for night time bedside use!

who was the Einstein who designed this and overlooked this?!?

am i the only one who might be bothered by this?

i was going to get two of these, one for my desk, and one for my nightstand, but now, i would only buy one.

i am glad, however, that they make a white version which would complement my phone and my desk.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I was going to get one as well, but if you cannot turn off the LED what the hell is the point in having it. Unless I put it by the front door or in my office it will be annoying all night long.

feihu989

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
It's just different kind of using condition? If it's in your office then led is necessary, i guess it should have a button to change between office mode and bedroom mode.

DWS44

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
honestly, i wouldn't want to see duck tape on a brand new charging pad next to my bed.

it just looks unsightly.

Kidding aside...black electrical tape is much more subtle for such a purpose, but I agree...an option to turn it off completely would have been a useful touch.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
These things usually aren't that difficult to disassemble. You could atleast try to take off the cover and put duck tape on the inside so it's not as visible. I agree the LED thing is annoying, but it seems like almost all of them have that.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Quite bright! I have it now on my desk, it's quite bright at night!

My nightstand is the same white surface...well, it'll be just as bright!

2015-04-07 23.13.52.jpg2015-04-07 22.52.45.jpg

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
oops, i now realize that the LEDs are timed. so, after a certain amount of time, the LEDs no longer remain lit.

i didn't realize that during the first few minutes.

ok, i think the LEDs remain on for as long as it is actively charging. when the charging is done, i.e. full charge, the LEDs finally go dark.

this is an issue for the night stand next to the bed.

PS: after last night (night 1) of using it next to my bed, i think i'm reasonably certain that the LEDs don't turn off until it is fully charged, then it lights up green for a certain period of time, and then finally, it goes dark. if your phone is not close to full, the amount of time the LEDs glow blue during charging can be very long!

Last edited:

shadow536

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Didn't realize it had an LED. Any idea on how long it takes for it to turn off once it changes green?

Also, how fast is wireless charging on this device? I know it's slower, but I've never had a device that could use it.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
bumping this thread back up:

may i know if anyone discovered a way to disable the LEDs on this wireless charging pad especially if one were to put it on our nightstand? thx.

DWS44

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I wanted mine on my nightstand, but wanted no part of the leds lights. You'll probably laugh, but here's how I defeated it...spray paint!

The charger was free, so why not. I carefully masked off all but the clear plastic edges, then hit it with 4 coats of satin black Krylon Fusion (good spray paint for plastics). Came out pretty nice, and no light shines through at night! :cool:

shaneontherocks

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi, just bought the samsung wireless charger. Question. I plugged it in at my office. I can barely see the LED color? Like looking down on my desk none of the sides are lit up? But the front of the charger has a very dim blue light... in some pictures I see the whole halo lights up... Is mine defective? Does the whole ring light up blue? Thanks in advance!

Natalie Pain

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone found a way to take the device apart and cover the LED? I would do it myself but would most likely break the charger and mine was a gift not free so I don't want to do that really

Peter Thorpe2

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Its actually really easy to take apart, I attached some pics. Basically there are 4 screws spaced evenly underneath the rubber ring. Unscrew them and the bottom clips off revealing the circuit board. The LED's are on the underside of the board so it must be unclipped being careful with the two wires connected underneath. The LED's are in two corners and can easily be covered by tape or similar.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    590 KB · Views: 25
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 25

Bastian Erpunkt

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Hello everybody,

I also have the problem with the LED lights on my nightstand.
Now I wanted to disable them and luckly found your little "guide".
Unfortunately my charger does not have the screws under the plastic ring.
I cannot find any scres below any rubber. Maybe someone can help me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC