I dropped and cracked S6 edge's screen glass on the table at local Best Buy store. Do I have to pay?

TENYKS

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
so... I pretty much gave up on the idea of skipping over the S6 and S6 edge because of lack of SD card slot and removable battery. there's no viable alternative within the next 5 or 6 month from any other manufacturer.

A few hours ago, I went to the local Best Buy store and checked out the S6 at the Samsung display area.(or whatever they call it) It was very impressive, just like all the reviews I've seen online.

I was being a jerk and played with the S6 for almost 30 minutes and kid of ignored the Samsung guy (no other customer was around) When I was all done I attempted to place the phone back down. The security cord was in the way, so I pulled the phone up again and the S6 edge slipped out of my hand. The security cord yanked the phone back down. The phone made loud cracking sound as it hit the table face down. I figured it was no biggie and just put the phone back to its original position. That's when I noticed a spider-shaped crack about 1/2 inch wide.

Being an honest(dumb) guy, I walked up to the Samsung guy and told him what had happened. I admitted to the crack. He seems disturbed by it and had no idea what to do. He called someone on the phone and they apparently came up with no solution.

After waiting around for another 10 minutes, he asked for my name and number and said he would find out later this afternoon or tomorrow. I will be frank. For a brief instant, I was having a flashback to 30 years ago in high school and contemplated giving him a fake name and phone number. That lasted half a second. I gave him my real full name and home phone number. They could have easily found out who I was anyway, since I visit that Best Buy almost every week and even the Best Buy Mobile manager knows me by first name. :D

Anyway.... I just want to get some opinions on this issue. I admit to causing the damage. However, the drop distance was less than ONE FOOT(about half the length of the security cord). It was on a table. Is the S6 edge really that fragile? The crack is, yes, you guessed it, right on the edge of the glass where it curves. :( The crack was not on the surface.. when I ran my finger over it, the glass still felt smooth. The crack appears to be on the inside of the glass.

When the Samung guy calls back and want me to take responsibility, what are my options?

(1)
offer to pay for repair of the S6 edge (whatever Samsung normally charges customers for such repairs)

(2)
refuse to pay... the phone should not have cracked from a one-foot drop

(3)
play dumb or just turn the phone conversation into one or two hours, in the hopes that they just give up

(4)
not pick up the phone

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, I agree... if you stomped on it or yanked it from the cord and threw it against a wall, then yeah... but a display unit that's meant for testing? Doubt it.

BlueGoldAce

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
You don't pay for it.

It should not have broke, but even though it did, you still only broke a demo phone. They don't make people pay for bending and scratching phones in store, and it isn't like you did it on purpose.

That would be like paying for a broken coffee mug at Panera bread, because you dropped your coffee.

Just my opinion, and assumption on how a business should respond. If you tried to steal it, or broke it on purpose, they could ban you from the store or call the cops for vandalism...but that isn't the case here.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Oh wow...that's a tough one. It's a demo unit and it seems to me that the security cord was the proximate cause of the damage by slamming the phone back down out of your hand and causing the glass to slam against the table at probably double or triple the velocity of a free fall (maybe even more). Without that cord, it would have been a gravity fall, at worst, at 1 ft. which would not have caused that damage.

At worst, you'd be responsible for a screen repair at Samsung's cost which can't be that much but I can't imagine them asking for that. Their demo units get beat up pretty badly. You are remarkably honest and ethical and, most importantly, should feel proud of yourself for doing the right thing and letting them know. You did the right thing and now they get to decide how they want to handle it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It should not have broke, but even though it did, you still only broke a demo phone. They don't make people pay for bending and scratching phones in store, and it isn't like you did it on purpose.

Since he didn't do it on purpose I think he will be okay -- but if he was in there scratching and breaking it on purpose they could hold you accountable. You can't just go in a store and do that to a phone or any other merchandise.

TENYKS

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Since he didn't do it on purpose I think he will be okay -- but if he was in there scratching and breaking it on purpose they could hold you accountable. You can't just go in a store and do that to a phone or any other merchandise.

cool... guess I can now cancel the airline ticket to Argentina(where I had planned to hide until this thing blows over) :)

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't pay for it. That could have happened to anyone. That exact thing happened to me in while I was in the store, but the screen didn't break.

Getting back to the "is it fragile comment", I would say no. It wasn't the distance that cracked the display from the table. It was the force from the security chord yanking it hard and fast (giggity) and then coming to a stop on the table that cracked the screen.

inkrededibles

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
The short answer is no. They might be short-sighted enough to try to force you to pay, but you have the upper hand. You can definitely threaten to tell the world about BestBuy or Samsung's practices, and the threat of escalation should make them back down. For Samsung, the 1 foot drop would be a PR nightmare, and for BestBuy, it would be similar, but slightly less pronounced. In any case, you're probably fine. but you should remember that the threat of escalation yields better results for you than actual escalation. If you already like went on local news about it or something, they lose nothing by forcing you to pay.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I doubt you'll be held liable. It was an honest mistake partially caused by their equipment as well with the security card pulling on the phone adding force to the otherwise basic unharmed drop. They probably won't even call you. He got your name just to cover himself if asked about it.

Posted via the Android Central App on my Galaxy S5

jexx

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I had the exact same thing happen to me today at a Best Buy, Samsung Display. The only thing difference is, I was able to jerk the security cord back before the phone hit the display counter. "Dang" those pesky security cords...seriously, there has to be a better way to secure the phones, can't really feel how the phone feels in your hand with all the crap glued to the back of the phone.

orangemartini

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
It's called a 'demo' unit.
They leave em out unattended 24-7.
There's no way I'd pay for it.

This. Not your phone, their phone, that leave unattended on a table with a bungy cord. They are liable for their own demo phones, you are not. That guy should never taken your name and number, that's BS.

TheGeekNextDoor

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
The really need to stop attaching it with those stupid cables that don't come out of that hole in the table very well and are always trying to pull the phone back down to the table. Why not just a good cable that doesn't pull it back down so aggressively?!!?

They will hopefully never call you. I wouldn't pay. What is the cost of the phone to samsung vs the retail price? It has depreciation on it. No easy way to calculate how much it is even worth.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
so... I pretty much gave up on the idea of skipping over the S6 and S6 edge because of lack of SD card slot and removable battery. there's no viable alternative within the next 5 or 6 month from any other manufacturer.

A few hours ago, I went to the local Best Buy store and checked out the S6 at the Samsung display area.(or whatever they call it) It was very impressive, just like all the reviews I've seen online.

I was being a jerk and played with the S6 for almost 30 minutes and kid of ignored the Samsung guy (no other customer was around) When I was all done I attempted to place the phone back down. The security cord was in the way, so I pulled the phone up again and the S6 edge slipped out of my hand. The security cord yanked the phone back down. The phone made loud cracking sound as it hit the table face down. I figured it was no biggie and just put the phone back to its original position. That's when I noticed a spider-shaped crack about 1/2 inch wide.

Being an honest(dumb) guy, I walked up to the Samsung guy and told him what had happened. I admitted to the crack. He seems disturbed by it and had no idea what to do. He called someone on the phone and they apparently came up with no solution.

After waiting around for another 10 minutes, he asked for my name and number and said he would find out later this afternoon or tomorrow. I will be frank. For a brief instant, I was having a flashback to 30 years ago in high school and contemplated giving him a fake name and phone number. That lasted half a second. I gave him my real full name and home phone number. They could have easily found out who I was anyway, since I visit that Best Buy almost every week and even the Best Buy Mobile manager knows me by first name. :D

Anyway.... I just want to get some opinions on this issue. I admit to causing the damage. However, the drop distance was less than ONE FOOT(about half the length of the security cord). It was on a table. Is the S6 edge really that fragile? The crack is, yes, you guessed it, right on the edge of the glass where it curves. :( The crack was not on the surface.. when I ran my finger over it, the glass still felt smooth. The crack appears to be on the inside of the glass.

When the Samung guy calls back and want me to take responsibility, what are my options?

(1)
offer to pay for repair of the S6 edge (whatever Samsung normally charges customers for such repairs)

(2)

(3)
play dumb or just turn the phone conversation into one or two hours, in the hopes that they just give up

(4)
not pick up the phone

no, you don't have to pay for it ... when they put a display phone on the floor, they assume responsibility, not the customer

Najo

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
OP, thanks for your contribution to humanity. Most would have cut and run, it's a very stand up thing you did by reporting it and giving your name. I agree you should be held liable for nothing, but awesome job all the same.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I would tell them "its a good thing you have the insurance on that phone, yeah the same insurance you make a commission on when you sell it to me"

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

(1)

(2)

(3)

(4)
not pick up the phone

I wouldn't worry to much about it. You didn't intentionally damage it, its a demo unit and trust me I have seen people do far worse when I worked retail and we couldn't do anything then either.

Also when it comes to microSD issues check this out Mini MicroSD Card Reader by Meenova and on the battery side I know its not the same but Mophie will have a juicepack case for the S6/Edge variants. Not entirely the same but close as we will get. Samsung tried USB 3.0 cables and dropped them after 1 go round, now if the sealed battery/no micorsd isn't popular then we could see a return. I would think it might still be there in the Note 5, but the sealed battery may also be there too. So one out of two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae