Auto brightness issues? strange glitch?

Nate512

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone else get this issue? I love having my brightness cranked to the fullest to see all the beautiful colors and sharpness of the screen. I noticed the other night while in my living room, the screen was dimmer than normal it made the whites have a yellow tint to it. Well case in point i checked my brightness settings and they were cranked up along with Auto Brightness turned off.

I did check in the display options that there is a color mode setup i always have mine on Cinema because it makes it the fullest of color and never changes.

I find this to be strange and im almost wondering that regardless of what i set my brightness too something in the software is manipulating the adaptive brightness. Hmm.. This is going to drive me bonkers. I wonder if its a Lollipop thing. Thanks!

Posted via the Android Central App

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Was it all throughout the phone or just browsing the Web? They used to have a separate setting for Web browsing for some obtuse reason.

Nate512

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
All throughout the phone. No matter where you are at. I have proven its the light sensor still working on its own free will.

When I notice it dim lower I have used a flashlight on the sensor and it bumps it back up to full brightness.

Posted via S6 Edge on T-Mobile

Todd Bardfeld

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
just got my phone today and am having same exact problem. under flurescent lights or outside the brightness will automatically max out but in darker lighting it dims without having any auto brightness or powersave on. i called tmobile and they are unaware of this. weird

Nate512

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
I wonder if it's a T-mobile thing. I tried replicating it at the local best buy on their test units. I could not because that place was bright and it always kept the brightness to max I think....

Todd Bardfeld

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
I wonder if it's a T-mobile thing. I tried replicating it at the local best buy on their test units. I could not because that place was bright and it always kept the brightness to max I think....

It's not a t mobile thing, it's only happening with the edge. I went to best buy to try out a verizon edge same problem. The regular s6 does not have this problem. This is a huge problem for Samsung. Every edge they sent out has a display glitch

Todd Bardfeld

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
It's every edge, every company
This really sux. The s6 works fine. It's just all the edge phones. I don't know what to do now. I don't think this can be fixed with an over the air update

Nate512

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Hmm this is very troubling news indeed hopefully there is a fix for for this.

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Hmm this is very troubling news indeed hopefully there is a fix for for this.

My understanding is manual brightness doesn't get as bright as auto brightness? If so, that should be easily fixed with a software update. My edge comes tomorrow so hopefully that is what you're saying and not a hardware problem.

Posted via the Android Central App

Nate512

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Same problem here. M8 and S6 on right.

Try using your flashlight on the m8 and shining it directly into the light sensor on the s6, it should go full brightness. But it will revert once you lock the phone (screen off and then back on) .

Leads me to believe it's a software glitch and can be fixed with an update.

jdunker26

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I just tried the flashlight. It definitely worked. The screen got super bright, just how I'd like to keep it. Then reverted back to the dim crap. I really hope this is updated or a fix is found soon.

305rob305

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I just tried the flashlight. It definitely worked. The screen got super bright, just how I'd like to keep it. Then reverted back to the dim crap. I really hope this is updated or a fix is found soon.
Did you have Auto Brightness on or off when you did this experiment.?

jdunker26

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
You see the issue I have with that is if I have Auto Brightness off I should be able to put brightness to 100 percent and reach the maximum brightness. I should be able to control the brightness I want with auto brightness off.

I have the same complaint. It's my phone, if i want to run the battery down i should be able to.

305rob305

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I did the experiment with auto brightness on and the screen got brighter to 100 percent to the same brightness as if I had the auto brightness off to 10 percent. My deal is that at full 100 brightness, it's still dimmer compared to my other phones....

Todd Bardfeld

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
That's weird. Mine got very bright when i had the light over the sensor. You might have a bad device after all.
Samsung just called me back. There is a problem with every single s6 edge. I personally made them aware, and they checked themselves and realized I was right. This is a major problem for them. Don't buy any stock from them. I actually discovered the problem and they now know for sure it's a problem. I've been speaking with some of their execs

jdunker26

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Samsung just called me back. There is a problem with every single s6 edge. I personally made them aware, and they checked themselves and realized I was right. This is a major problem for them. Don't buy any stock from them. I actually discovered the problem and they now know for sure it's a problem. I've been speaking with some of their execs

So what do they recommend?