Didn't see the point in the edge once i used one.....

AndrewW-AC

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Happy to be shot down here, but I appear to be one of the few people who does not like the edge.
I was seriously considering purchasing one (as my S4 is almost out of contract), and the reviews are all excellent, and basically directing people away from the standard S6.

I got to hold an edge last week, and was not impressed,
  • The actual use of the edge appears to be limited to contact details and maybe a clock.
  • Whilst there is an API for the edge function, personally i can't see that being used a lot until edge type devices are more common and not in the 2 years the contract will last for.
  • How you you use screen protectors on the edge? A well known network told me to put a cheap protection them then very thin ones that bend, and not to use a good one...... not sure i believe that. All the screen protectors I looked at on Amazon for the Edge, shows a picture of either an S5 or an S6, but not the edge
  • What type of case is good for the edge
  • What use is the edge when its clamped into a car bracket ?
  • Today i was reading about large amount of micro scratches on the edge, my guess these are polishing marks.

Have I got it totally wrong or is the edge just for show and not much use in reality. What are people views ?

Andrew

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Ummm, you're not of the 'few'... The S6 Edge has been laregely touted by reviewers as 'not worth the 100 extra bucks'. That being said, the phone is still amazing, still beautiful and quite striking to behold. But I agree with you, the FUNCTIONALITY of the edges is just not enough to warrant an extra 100 dollars VS the S6, which holds almost the very same experience in a non-rounded package.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
You buy it for the looks, not for the functionality. If the looks aren't worth the price difference for you then don't buy it.

AndrewW-AC

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
That is what i was starting to think, But I hate Apple products for that reason, large quantities of people wanting to by the new apple phone, and have no idea why except its the new apple, and the new fashion...... :(

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Here you have to give Samsung credit. Yes, they're on the higher end of the Android price spectrum, but like Steves says, the S6 Edge is mostly about looks. And it LOOKS amazing. iPhones are great and all (I've used an iPhone 6 and iOS lockdown aside, it's a very capable device), but they don't really stand out anymore, and yes, I see the irony in the S6 trying to look like an iPhone 6... But the S6 Edge does stand out. Maybe it won't do a lot with the edges, but it looks great and different and new and pretty. Nothing wrong with charging more for that.

inkrededibles

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
Well, to be honest, there are no great phone cases for the Edge. You really have to be careful with it, though in my opinion, you might have luck with a flip case or something that literally encompasses the whole device. Otherwise, it's probably like an iPhone 4 in terms of how fragile you need to treat it. It's probably marginally better at falls and the like, but not by much.

The Edge itself is worthless in terms of extra features. Pretty much, except for swiping from the left or right to activate certain things, it's not great. But it looks awesome has hell, and that's pretty much it. I'm still getting it, though. It will be my first gold-coloured phone as it's the only one that I feel deserves that colour.

wase4711

May 1, 2010
Visit site
people make choices in life for a variety of reasons; a Porsche and a Chevy are both cars, and get you to where you are going, but not everyone likes either one of them..
The edge is no different; its a great smartphone, and if you feel its worth paying the xtra 100 for it, that's fine, but if you don't, that's fine too, but don't knock those of us that like it and are willing to pay the xtra for it just because that's what WE like..

"different strokes, for different folks"

AndrewW-AC

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
apologies not trying to knock anyone, just trying to get my head straight. For me its not worth it, but i was wondering if i had missed a feature , and i would regret not buying the edge later because i missed it

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you missed anything, at least for now. I'm sure devs will come up with clever ways of using the edges eventually.

05 TypeS DC5

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
After having mine for a week I have found that the functionality isn't all there. But with that said I still would chose edge over regular, but that's just me.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
The edge gives the phone somewhat of a 'Z' axis. It looks REALLY cool, to me anyway. The three dimensional look + Samsung's QHD panel almost looks like sticker was placed on the screen.

Do I opt for 32GB of additional storage or get the 3D looking edge panel... (head exploding)

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Happy to be shot down here, but I appear to be one of the few people who does not like the edge.
I was seriously considering purchasing one (as my S4 is almost out of contract), and the reviews are all excellent, and basically directing people away from the standard S6.

I got to hold an edge last week, and was not impressed,
  • The actual use of the edge appears to be limited to contact details and maybe a clock.

Currently yes, people edge, edge lighting, ticker info are pretty much the functionality aspects of it.
  • Whilst there is an API for the edge function, personally i can't see that being used a lot until edge type devices are more common and not in the 2 years the contract will last for.

I thought this about the Note Edge but was shocked by the amount of dev activity it had. There are quite a few Edge experiences for it.
  • How you you use screen protectors on the edge? A well known network told me to put a cheap protection them then very thin ones that bend, and not to use a good one...... not sure i believe that. All the screen protectors I looked at on Amazon for the Edge, shows a picture of either an S5 or an S6, but not the edge

I don't use them so I didn't really care about that when I bought it.
  • What type of case is good for the edge

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s6-edge/497956-best-galaxy-s6-edge-case-thread.html
  • What use is the edge when its clamped into a car bracket ?

Presumably if it's in a car bracket you are using it for navigation or music. Since the Edge screen functionality can only be accessed when the screen is off, I'm not sure why this is a factor in your decision. Plus it would be kind of dangerous to be driving and then reach up to the dim Edge in your car dock to do the gestures to activate the edge screen.
  • Today i was reading about large amount of micro scratches on the edge, my guess these are polishing marks.

Mine didn't come with scratches on it, thankfully. I feel sorry for those that did. Hopefully they return those devices and get new models that aren't scratched.

Have I got it totally wrong or is the edge just for show and not much use in reality. What are people views ?

I mean, your opinion is your opinion, not right or wrong. There's nothing wrong with either S6, and both seem to be great phones. I bought the Edge because I thought it looked neat, and I love the way content looks on the screen. I can see why someone wouldn't want to pay the extra money though. The Edge functionality is more of a cherry on top sort of thing for me. I use the people edge much more than I thought I would. I'm also using the ticker info which I didn't think I would use at all. Originally I was going to buy the normal S6, but when I saw the Edge at Best Buy I did a 180.

Andrew

anon(5373819)

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have the edge and I kind of regret it. The biggest reason why I'm unhappy is I can't use Edge Lighting unless I use Samsung SMS. Oh well.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Well, to be honest, there are no great phone cases for the Edge. You really have to be careful with it, though in my opinion, you might have luck with a flip case or something that literally encompasses the whole device. Otherwise, it's probably like an iPhone 4 in terms of how fragile you need to treat it. It's probably marginally better at falls and the like, but not by much.

The Edge itself is worthless in terms of extra features. Pretty much, except for swiping from the left or right to activate certain things, it's not great. But it looks awesome has hell, and that's pretty much it. I'm still getting it, though. It will be my first gold-coloured phone as it's the only one that I feel deserves that colour.

There are pretty much the same amount of cases for the edge as there are the regular s6. I don't have either phone yet, but have multiple cases for both since amongst my whole family, I have 6 phones coming. If anything, the Edge cases feel nicer because they are thinner. The edge with a case feels like the regular without a case. That is my opinion anyways.

The glass on the S6 is much more durable than the glass on the iPhone 4. I don't have the exact numbers of how much more durable, but I think Gorilla Glass 4 is twice as durable as the previous version. And the iPhone 4 I think had the original version?

independentvolume

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
That is what i was starting to think, But I hate Apple products for that reason, large quantities of people wanting to by the new apple phone, and have no idea why except its the new apple, and the new fashion...... :(

Sorry man, that's no way to live. Who cares what others buy?

Posted via the Android Central App

GWaLL13

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

I just received a Spigen case I ordered on Amazon and it's pretty sick. This is coming from someone who has had a galaxy s2, s3, and s5 and now the edge, and cases for all others were bulky and restrictive. This one feels natural to be added to the edge.

As for the edge features, yes now they are few and far between, but I honestly believe that there will be plenty of developers aiming at making more use of the design.

via the AC App on my S6 Edge

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12