Samsung's latest for less:Get a Galaxy S10e for $10 a month
06-24-2015 07:59 PM
42 12
tools
    I just ordered the edge , I know the battery isn't the best but just want to know how yours was, like how much screen on time and did anything seem to drain it faster. Was it really as "terrible" as people say it were they just hating.

Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-07-2015 02:04 PM
    I love the phone but have experienced the dreaded "Cell Standby" battery drain. It only happens when you're on a WiFi network.

It may be a T-Mobile issue only but the jury is still out on that. If it can be fixed, the phone is stellar but as it is currently, I'm tethered to a power outlet at all times which is pretty disappointing. I reported it to T-Mobile and they said it's a Google problem with Lollipop (that affects all phones) which won't be fixed until the next Lollipop version is released for the S6 (which doesn't seem to be true, especially if early indications hold and it's not affecting AT&T customers).
    04-07-2015 03:18 PM
    Still early since ATT customers started to just receive them today and last night, but I haven't seen anybody on ATT report of the fast battery drain that T Mobile users are reporting so it's starting to look like it was just a T Mobile issue. I saw one guy report 25 hours off the charger with 4 hours screen on time and that was after the initial charge. Should improve some after a few cycles.

The phone doesn't have bad battery life, it's just not great.
    04-07-2015 03:53 PM
    Thanks I am getting the Verizon version so I guess I will just need to wait and find out.

04-07-2015 05:13 PM
    Thx

04-07-2015 05:13 PM
    The phone doesn't have bad battery life, it's just not great.
    That reminds me of the Nexus 6.

🔊from the n.3 Monolith 🎧
    04-07-2015 05:27 PM
    I haven't had a battery issue on my s6 edge for the week and a half I've had it until yesterday.

Something is rapidly killing it. I downloaded GSAM Battery monitor and I'm trying to track down the culprit. Does anyone know the difference in Screen Usage Details between discharge while on and while off? Should the screen discharge at all while off?

If it does have something to do with the radio/wifi, I'm not sure what to do. I always keep my wifi on while at work because I have very little reception (I work in a kitchen, lots of equipment, metal etc). If I have wifi on, I'm able to still receive calls and txts because of my wifi calling. Maybe I should set up IFTT to turn my radio off (if possible) while at work?

04-07-2015 07:40 PM
    I got mine tonight but haven't had any time with it sadly. Its on the charger but the cases and screen protectors I got are not what I wanted and I won't go caseless and naked screen and risk a drop test of my own so, it will be tomorrow before I get to play with it. Right now my phone is on forward to my work phone.

I was under the impression that the cell standby issue had to do with Wi-Fi calling and not Wi-Fi itself or is that incorrect information? Given I have a 30GB data plan with rollover I don't worry too much about using Wi-Fi much.
    04-07-2015 08:17 PM
    I haven't had a battery issue on my s6 edge for the week and a half I've had it until yesterday.

Something is rapidly killing it. I downloaded GSAM Battery monitor and I'm trying to track down the culprit. Does anyone know the difference in Screen Usage Details between discharge while on and while off? Should the screen discharge at all while off?

If it does have something to do with the radio/wifi, I'm not sure what to do. I always keep my wifi on while at work because I have very little reception (I work in a kitchen, lots of equipment, metal etc). If I have wifi on, I'm able to still receive calls and txts because of my wifi calling. Maybe I should set up IFTT to turn my radio off (if possible) while at work?

You can see if it's the "Cell Standby" issue by going into the S6 Settings > Battery and you'll see the top battery % offenders there. Mine often shows "Cell Standby" in excess of 30% by the end of my day on WiFi. With WiFi turned off, the phone operates normally.
    04-07-2015 08:49 PM
    My battery is being killed by Cell Standby. I'm on AT&T so there isn't Wi-Fi calling. I hope they push an update soon to fix this but I was still waiting for AT&T to push lollipop to my S5 when my Edge arrived so I won't hold my breath.
    04-07-2015 08:55 PM
    You can see if it's the "Cell Standby" issue by going into the S6 Settings > Battery and you'll see the top battery % offenders there. Mine often shows "Cell Standby" in excess of 30% by the end of my day on WiFi. With WiFi turned off, the phone operates normally.
    Right now, cell standby is only at 22%. I'll report bavk tomorrow after a couple of hours at work.

Not sure what my best option is here, since I have very little service where I work, and really count on wifi.

04-07-2015 09:02 PM
    My battery is being killed by Cell Standby. I'm on AT&T so there isn't Wi-Fi calling. I hope they push an update soon to fix this but I was still waiting for AT&T to push lollipop to my S5 when my Edge arrived so I won't hold my breath.
    Fascinating...the AT&T S6's are just out in the wild so there's very little battery experience with them. A few early posters did not have the runaway battery in Standby from that dreaded "Cell Standby" drain (but, of course, this is Day 1 for most) so you are the first non T-Mobile customer to report it. Can you keep us updated and maybe post some screenshots of your Battery information in Settings?

I've tried everything on the list for the past 8 days and the only solution, by the way, is to turn of WiFi.
    04-07-2015 09:08 PM
    I have a screenshot of the battery screen but I don't see where to post it using the mobile site to access. I'll try from the regular website.
    04-07-2015 09:11 PM
    Here...
    Attached Thumbnails Galaxy S6 edge battery-screenshot_2015-04-07-22-12-34.jpg  
    04-07-2015 09:18 PM
    I have a screenshot of the battery screen but I don't see where to post it using the mobile site to access. I'll try from the regular website.
    Click the plus button next to Reply and then click the 3 dots in the top right and hit Add Picture.
    Denisew 1972 likes this.
    04-07-2015 09:18 PM
    Does anyone know how to disable the cellular network and only keep wifi on? I'd imagine with a good wifi signal and wifi calling on, with the cellular network disabled, it may help with the battery issue.

Only solution I could come up with was to turn airplane mode on, and then enable wifi. Any thoughts if this may help?

04-08-2015 06:14 AM
    I've have my phone on t-mobile since Friday and I can confirm the battery drains faster than normal. I've cycled it three times so far but have to at least charge it mid-day (which I'm not used to coming from an iPhone 6 Plus and Note 4). Cell Stand by seems to be my issue. I love the phone though, build is nice, screen is great, i've noticed some minor lag but not as bad as other versions of touchwiz. I'm giving it 13 days if the battery doesn't improve it's going back.
    04-08-2015 07:19 AM
    Does anyone know how to disable the cellular network and only keep wifi on? I'd imagine with a good wifi signal and wifi calling on, with the cellular network disabled, it may help with the battery issue.

Only solution I could come up with was to turn airplane mode on, and then enable wifi. Any thoughts if this may help?

Yes putting airplane mode on and turning on WiFi would be the easiest way of accomplishing this, however I thought WiFi was the main thing causing this issue?
    04-08-2015 07:54 AM
    Your signature is rather impressive....
    04-08-2015 10:12 AM
    Yes putting airplane mode on and turning on WiFi would be the easiest way of accomplishing this, however I thought WiFi was the main thing causing this issue?
    It's seems like the "cellular network" is causing it. If turning airplane mode on, and only enabling wifi keeps the communication to cell towers off, yet still being able to receive wifi calls, wouldn't the "cellular network" be disabled?

04-08-2015 10:56 AM
    So I had the phone off Wi-Fi all day today. It's 3:30, and at 41% which is almost exactly the same as yesterday. Even though cell standby was taking up the bulk of my usage yesterday (and it doesn't appear today because the Wi-Fi is off) it seems to add up to the same exact battery life. As a result, I would only have battery available until about 9 PM when I take it off the charger at 8 AM. I guess 11 hours isn't awful, but I would certainly need a midday charge to get through a reasonable-length day.
    04-08-2015 02:39 PM
    So I had the phone off Wi-Fi all day today. It's 3:30, and at 41% which is almost exactly the same as yesterday. Even though cell standby was taking up the bulk of my usage yesterday (and it doesn't appear today because the Wi-Fi is off) it seems to add up to the same exact battery life. As a result, I would only have battery available until about 9 PM when I take it off the charger at 8 AM. I guess 11 hours isn't awful, but I would certainly need a midday charge to get through a reasonable-length day.
    So you're saying you used the phone exactly the same amount as yesterday? If not, then % battery used and time don't mean anything. You seem to be insinuating that now that your cell standby issue isn't draining the battery, another thing has popped up and is starting to drain battery now? Unlikely.

Post some screen shots and tell us some more information about how you used your phone and people can try to tell you if it looks normal. Your earlier screenshot with 34% standby didn't look normal.
    04-08-2015 02:49 PM
    I'm saying I had very similar usage yesterday and today. I was in the office most of the day so I got a couple of WhatsApp messages, I made one or two 2-minute phone calls, and I checked Twitter. I'm just saying that generally speaking, the turning off of the Wi-Fi did not make any major difference in my battery life as I walked in the door from work.
    04-08-2015 02:58 PM
    Here is today's screenshot.
    Attached Thumbnails Galaxy S6 edge battery-screenshot_2015-04-08-15-55-26.jpg  
    04-08-2015 03:00 PM
    Here is today's screenshot.
    What is your screen on time? Your battery usage numbers look normal.
    04-08-2015 03:18 PM
42 12