So, I have been afflicted by the cell standby battery drain issue. I was losing about 12% per hour with wifi turned on. With wifi off it dropped to about 3% per hour, quite respectable in my book. So, I decided to 'chat' with Samsung, viewing it as a necessary evil prior to demanding a new phone. They had me go to recovery to wipe the cache. (Vol up+Home+Power, release power on vibrate, release rest on menu)

What was interesting is that prior to giving me the menu it said "installing update". I had received no update notice nor did my version or baseband get altered. I wiped the cache and rebooted and it is now MUCH better.

I did it about 4:30 (now 8:10) and in the 3.5 hours with wifi on I have used about 12%. My total day so far is 13 hours and 45% remaining, but most of that was with wifi off. There is a captive portal at work, but it sucks and I rarely use it, so having wifi off at work has been no big deal. Tomorrow I will leave wifi on and see what happens on a whole day.
    04-09-2015 07:18 PM
    So, I have been afflicted by the cell standby battery drain issue. I was losing about 12% per hour with wifi turned on. With wifi off it dropped to about 3% per hour, quite respectable in my book. So, I decided to 'chat' with Samsung, viewing it as a necessary evil prior to demanding a new phone. They had me go to recovery to wipe the cache. (Vol up+Home+Power, release power on vibrate, release rest on menu)

What was interesting is that prior to giving me the menu it said "installing update". I had received no update notice nor did my version or baseband get altered. I wiped the cache and rebooted and it is now MUCH better.

I did it about 4:30 (now 8:10) and in the 3.5 hours with wifi on I have used about 12%. My total day so far is 13 hours and 45% remaining, but most of that was with wifi off. There is a captive portal at work, but it sucks and I rarely use it, so having wifi off at work has been no big deal. Tomorrow I will leave wifi on and see what happens on a whole day.
    Definitely let us know! I actually did the same cache wipe on my own last week (trying to troubleshoot every solution I could possibly think of!) and got the same "installing update" notice. I was pretty excited when I saw that because I thought maybe my initial update got caught up somehow and this would solve it. My drain was never as bad as yours (but it is around 5% per hour in Standby on WiFi) but it ended up staying pretty consistent after my cache wipe - still 5% per hour.

That said, if yours holds, maybe I'll give it another try. Thanks for the update!
    04-09-2015 07:26 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion. I too got the installing updates when booting into recovery mode before wiping the cache on my TMO edge.

I'm going to boot into recovery again just to see if it again claims to be installing an update.

While I was having major "cell standby" battery issues (it was using about 34% one day earlier this week), yesterday and today it's in the single digits. Only thing I did was disable voice over LTE before today.

My Only other battery concern is in GSam Battery Monitor, it says that my screen discharge while on is 48%, 44% while off. Not quite sure what this means..... Does it mean the screen is eating up my battery even while it's off? Confussed. If anyone has an explanation, that'd be great!

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-09-2015 08:55 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion. I too got the installing updates when booting into recovery mode before wiping the cache on my TMO edge.

I'm going to boot into recovery again just to see if it again claims to be installing an update.

While I was having major "cell standby" battery issues (it was using about 34% one day earlier this week), yesterday and today it's in the single digits. Only thing I did was disable voice over LTE before today.

My Only other battery concern is in GSam Battery Monitor, it says that my screen discharge while on is 48%, 44% while off. Not quite sure what this means..... Does it mean the screen is eating up my battery even while it's off? Confussed. If anyone has an explanation, that'd be great!

How do you disable voice over LTE?
    04-10-2015 09:50 AM
    How do you disable voice over LTE?
    From the Phone screen, hit More button. Settings.... Voice over LTE settings.

04-10-2015 11:48 AM

Thank you.
    04-10-2015 12:10 PM
    Confirmed on my AT&T Edge that just turning off Enhanced 4G services fixed the issue. Since doing that cell standby doesn't even show up on battery usage. Before it was over 20%
    04-10-2015 03:51 PM

On the AT&T version that I have, there is no such "Voice over LTE" setting that I can find under the phone or anywhere else. I've even done a search under the help. I started seeing that on these forums From T-Mobile users. Is this solely an issue for them, or does anybody else under an AT&T phone have the same issue? There were a few WiFi and mobile hotspot settings that I was not down with, like constantly searching for an AT&T hotspot, Or continuing to search for a WiFi connection which is a waste of battery. It doesn't seem to be that data is as much of an issue anymore and the AT&T network unless you're totally in a rural area covers just about 99%. I was just really interested in the tweaks to make the battery work as efficiently as possible but I could not find this setting even under more advanced tabs. Thanks again for your help anyone notices this.
    04-10-2015 04:14 PM
    Confirmed on my AT&T Edge that just turning off Enhanced 4G services fixed the issue. Since doing that cell standby doesn't even show up on battery usage. Before it was over 20%
    Again, doing a thorough search under settings, WiFi, and even advanced could not find anything related to "Enhanced 4G services"??? Both with the WiFi on and with the WiFi off. Do you mind helping you navigate?
    04-10-2015 04:21 PM
    Settings. . Mobile networks. . mobile data .. enhanced 4g
    Kyle Tate likes this.
    04-10-2015 04:24 PM
    Got it! By turning this off what does it really do if you're not running on WiFi? How much performance is affected by the "enhanced" part? Any clue thanks again!
    04-10-2015 04:26 PM
    Just turns off Volte
    Kyle Tate likes this.
    04-10-2015 04:27 PM
    I did this on my normal S6 ... Figure it can't hurt .
    04-10-2015 04:36 PM
    This is the fix, thank you. Makes me wonder why turning wifi off would also shut down the drain. Perhaps the bug is actually in the code where the voice processing calls the radios and turning off the wider bandwidth voice stops the calls out that keeps the radios awake.
    04-11-2015 04:45 AM
    I have no idea where some of the battery issues are coming from. All I can say to begin with is that I wish everybody's experience with their phone was as great as mine was today. It is 9 PM and for the last 12 hours I have been logging into most of the apps that I use the most on my phone, I streamed 30 minutes of live video for STL FC and watched it in full screen, I talked on the phone for apparently an hour and a half, at least 9 to 12 apps were updated at some point, I took a few pictures and uploaded them, a half a dozen, I shot a thirty second video, I upgraded a few contacts and may be sent 20 text messages back and forth.

I showed off the edge streaming three times but for the most part that feature was left idle. Whatever help you all gave me, I currently have 56% of my battery left or nine hours according to the system. Granted I turn off most functions which I deem or feel or needless to say power. I was NOT in power saving mode, my brightness was probably in the 60% range for most of the day, I never use auto as it's always too dark, and when I was watching the video I kicked it all the way up. That's the only time when I could really noticed the battery go down a little. I feel 100% confident this charge would get me through tomorrow. Again I followed a lot of tweaks that were recommended on here which I so appreciate, but I find absolutely no drain on the battery and I find it equal to the S4, the S5, if not better.

Again, I wish I were one and the same love of their phone as I experienced today! It is by far the best, most beautiful phone I have ever used. I don't know if the $100 is worth the edge, hopefully down the road there will be more functionality, but it worked like a charm and I hope that there is way more to come. To be honest with you the only thing that I kind of got frustrated with was every time I went to the settings it would start at the very first list or quick settings in a column of about eight items. So I had to swipe over if I wanted to check battery or applications. And my quick settings don't look like most peoples, they all look like the S5. I haven't quite figured that part out yet on how to set the features I want to use the most. But most of the day even my location was set on and using the S4 that would have cost drain like crazy, we'll see.
    04-11-2015 09:16 PM
    Multiple attempts to go into recovery mode on my edge and it won't work?

Posted via the Android Central App on s6 edge
    04-12-2015 11:16 AM
    where the heck is "enhanced 4g services" in settings?
    04-12-2015 04:01 PM
    Oh, sorry, didn't see this. Um, must be an AT&T thing because it's not here on my tmobile device
    04-12-2015 04:06 PM
    I'm on verizon with s6 edge and my cell standby is out of this world. Needs to b fixed. I have data cap so hope it's not WiFi issue.

Posted via AC app on my S6 Edge
    04-12-2015 04:29 PM
    Guys just disable the amazon app that came preloaded with the phone. That will fix your battery issues.
    04-12-2015 04:49 PM
    Did anyone try disabling amazon?

Does anyone know why gsam shows such a big battrey drain with the screen off?

04-13-2015 08:09 PM
    Did anyone try disabling amazon?

Does anyone know why gsam shows such a big battrey drain with the screen off?

I've had the cell standby issue on my Verizon GS6 Edge and I've tried everything. I've cleared cache, disabled a ton of apps (including Amazon), turned off all the Wi-Fi settings, etc. I can definitely tell it's an issue when connected to Wi-Fi since I spent 9 hours at work not connected to Wi-Fi and cell standby didn't appear on my battery list, and now it does, going all the way to 11%! I'll give it another day and see what happens before I decide to do a factory reset.
    04-13-2015 09:47 PM
    Here are my stats for today S6 Edge on Verizon.

Attached Thumbnails Possible 'cell standby' battery drain solution (AT&T)   <- fix at post #10-1169.jpg  
    04-13-2015 10:10 PM
    Guys just disable the amazon app that came preloaded with the phone. That will fix your battery issues.
    Can you clarify some more why this would fix this? What is wrong with the Amazon app? It's not showing up on my usage at all so why would disabling it help?
    04-14-2015 06:30 AM
    Look at my earlier posts. Those tweaks seemed to help me. My cell standby went up as high as 30 percent before the tweaks. Now it doesn't go past 2 percent. I get 4-41/2h Sot and roughly 14-15h battery life. Depending on what you do (or don't do) you can get more. I got as much as 5H 26 min sot & 16h 14m on battery. This may not be impressive for some, but considering it's a small battery and it gets me through the day, I'm happy.
    04-14-2015 11:38 AM