S6 Edge - Screen rotation does not work properly

brians188

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it was a hardware issue. My edge was rotating during the activation phase, I remember. Something happened along the way. It has to be a software issue.

Posted via the Android Central App

So if your saying it's not a hardware issue.. If i were to flash the international firmware which they have available right now..there could be a chance my auto rotation will be resolved.. Since this is a completely different firmware than the US firmware

techman05

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
No I'm saying if you use the emergency firmware reset on Samsung switch you have a chance it will fix the rotation issue with whatever firmware it could pull down to reset a phone. I'd just assume flashing with a different firmware like that could void your warrenty.

techman05

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
The software for pc and mac no longer work but the kies app for the phone came with the s6 so that should still work but you need to use smart switch program like the one in the link above to backup,restore and reset your phone. The app last time I messed with it that it was a file view and mostly nothing more.

bgsanti

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Crap. Mine isn't working either. It's been working fine since 4/10, even after software update. Then today, screen not rotating. 😢

face_of_goat

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Update...

Took the phone to my nearest authorised Samsung repairer (45m drive away), who said they could only take it and look at it in a few days...

One of their techs had a brief look at it, confirmed that he couldn't get it to rotate, but said he didnt know why or a solution.

Went in to one of my carrier's storefronts, where again they looked at the phone and verified they couldn't get it to rotate.
The storefront refused to replace the phone, also wouldn't take the phone for it to be sent back to their online ordering headquarters, because I had ordered it online.

Spoke to the carrier's call centre. They are sending me a courier bag for it to be returned and evaluated.

They won't be sending me a new one until after it is evaluated.

Time frame is 3-5 business days for me to get the bag (!?) and then unspecified amount of time for it to be looked at.

So now I'm waiting what looks like 2-3 weeks to use the phone. I asked them multiple times just to replace it to no avail.

Back to the old S4 for now ...

GWaLL13

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Update...

Took the phone to my nearest authorised Samsung repairer (45m drive away), who said they could only take it and look at it in a few days...

One of their techs had a brief look at it, confirmed that he couldn't get it to rotate, but said he didnt know why or a solution.

Went in to one of my carrier's storefronts, where again they looked at the phone and verified they couldn't get it to rotate.
The storefront refused to replace the phone, also wouldn't take the phone for it to be sent back to their online ordering headquarters, because I had ordered it online.

Spoke to the carrier's call centre. They are sending me a courier bag for it to be returned and evaluated.

They won't be sending me a new one until after it is evaluated.

Time frame is 3-5 business days for me to get the bag (!?) and then unspecified amount of time for it to be looked at.

So now I'm waiting what looks like 2-3 weeks to use the phone. I asked them multiple times just to replace it to no avail.

Back to the old S4 for now ...

Seriously? What carrier do you have?

via the AC App on my S6 Edge

DaMaRa1109

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it was a hardware issue. My edge was rotating during the activation phase, I remember. Something happened along the way. It has to be a software issue.

Running the same software as the edge I had before that wasn't working and it's working fine now. But I'm no expert. It was a bug one way or another.

S6 Edge

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Running the same software as the edge I had before that wasn't working and it's working fine now. But I'm no expert. It was a bug one way or another.

S6 Edge

Yea dude, honestly I know about as much as everybody else. It would seem really odd if it was a software issue being that everyone should have the same defect.

techman05

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
That's the way I heard it. Something to to with the phones framework updates wrong and then for some reason the fix they said they have for it doesn't go out if the other already has patched the phone. That's the reason for the emergency factory reset, to buzz it to zero and allow it to get the proper update.

I'm knocking on wood but I've had my replacement for 24 hrs and I still have rotation. The only grump I can have is the protective case went on a lot easier the first time and I'll probably have to have it reattached in store since I have bubble on the corners of my skin cover after waiting to put my protective case on as they told me to.

HabsFan

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Just stopped by a Verizon store and they looked at it and said this was the first one they saw like this.

He searched Google and said it had to be a software issue and an update should come out soon. He said to wait until I'm closer to the 14 days and if there is no update to come back and try a new phone.

techman05

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
The updates already out call 611 dial tech support. If it wasn'the already out there would be a lot more pages on this post. If that's not an option bring your box and receipt back and tell them you can't wait that long. At least my interaction got me the swag bag I should have gotten day 1 From best buy.

face_of_goat

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
That's the way I heard it. Something to to with the phones framework updates wrong and then for some reason the fix they said they have for it doesn't go out if the other already has patched the phone. That's the reason for the emergency factory reset, to buzz it to zero and allow it to get the proper update.

Just curious where you heard that?

I've tried multiple factory resets using both methods and nothing's changed.

techman05

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I got it straight from verizons mouth. I got the complete protection so they advertise a tech guru of sorts and and went for it. Except for the fact they mentioned kies and not the smart switch pc software. If I had a second phone at the time I probably would have let them do the whole fix with me but I went local for my try at fixing.

It has to be the emergency reset as far as I presume to clean the phones clock(to allow the update). If I hadn'the taken 4 hr of my Sunday backing up and found the software I would have done this . Like I said at least there is a backup option so you shouldn'the loose everything for trying. If no you know your phone is fudged and your on the list (Either way samsungs going to reset you before taking it back) no harm and you've got tomorrow blog heading.

anon(5419168)

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Got the replacement s6 edge from tmobile. Rotation is working fine. The replacement has to go back. The left side of the screen, about an inch from the bottom on the edge portion is a missing part of the screen.

Looks like the first bite you take from a cookie. The piece missing is under the glass along the edge of screen and the black band portion.

I might give up on the phone. I have 2 edge and 1 regular s6 to send back to tmobile.