S6 Edge - Screen rotation does not work properly

anon(5419168)

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
No problem to replace. Original order was a jump upgrade. So these have been replaced by ups overnight. Tmobile ate the shipping charges. Been easy to take care of but tmobile did ship me 2 non edge models in error.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rickleehale

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Same issue here. Purchased a black S6 Edge in 32GB on Friday, 4/10/15. Rotation stopped working within a couple hours (fwiw, after I fast-charged the phone). Took the phone back to Verizon Store on Saturday 4/11/15 and the rep told "it's a software bug." Called Samsung on Monday 4/13/15. They inquired as to the build# (LRX22G.G925V_5.0.2_0009) (The display phone in the Verizon Store is build G900V_5.0.2 and it rotated fine). Samsung had me do a factory reset which failed. Samsung told me to take the phone back to the Verizon Store. I did and Verizon ordered me a new phone which should be here today.

FWIW, my phone also has a "rattle" that seems to come from the upper-right corner.

I've tried *#0*# multiple times in the phone, but it doesn't launch a new screen, nor do I see a "sensor" button. Am I missing something?

HabsFan

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
FWIW, my phone also has a "rattle" that seems to come from the upper-right corner.

I've tried *#0*# multiple times in the phone, but it doesn't launch a new screen, nor do I see a "sensor" button. Am I missing something?

The *#0*# is blocked by Verizon.

The phone I returned also had the "rattle" at the top where my replacement does not. Almost seems like it must be a hardware issue, but who really knows. At least Samsung will start getting more calls and phones returned so they can investigate this further.

anon(133724)

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Verizon sent me a Note 4 instead of an S6 Edge - probably because the buddy upgrade line that I used has a Note 4 on it. Took me an hour and fifteen minutes to get it resolved over the phone, it seemed like a simple thing to fix, but 45 minutes with a rep putting me on hold before finally getting me to a supervisor really slowed down the process. Should have my replacement on Monday or Tuesday, really hoping the issue doesn't come back. If it does, I will try to see if they'll just give me a regular S6 instead.

soca718

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I had the same problem with my Verizon S6 edge and got it replaced. In doing research about this problem i saw a note that the problem may be from the heating issue the edge has when on the quick charger. The speculation is that the accelerator is close to the phone where it heats up. Don't know if that is the cause but ever since i got my replacement i stopped using the quick charger and went back to a regular charger and have been monitoring the heat of my S6 and so far the screen rotation has been ok. Admittedly it has only been 3 days since the replacement but there you go. Hope this helps.

Gea-T

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
If you're concern about the heat from the fast charger wait until you use the GPS.
This thing gets HOT while using it. Mine stop working after about half a hour of using it.
If you love your S6 edge and want it to keep it working don't use the fast charger or GPS

OvertheVerizon

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
It's not worth the risk of having your phone's accelerometer break after the return time window is over. It would be in your best interest to stress test the phone by loading demanding apps and fast charging in order to ensure that the phone will work in the long run. Otherwise, you'll be stuck with a faulty phone and will have to deal with the lengthy warranty process through Samsung after which you might end up with a refurbished model. I just received my 3rd Galaxy S6 Edge and I'm going to make damn sure that this one's a keeper before my 14 days are up. If this one breaks, I'm going to go with the regular Galaxy S6. I don't have time for this nonsense.

kafkasd

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I have a S6 edge for vzw. I just did a video chat with Samsung and they had me download Vitamins for samsung to do a self test if you go to device diagnostics and perform a test on the inclinometer it shows that the giro works due to the bubbles moving. Might just hold out for an update to fix the problems. some apps force it to turn and some just will not turn when you want them to makes so sense at all.

caporalea

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
The rattle in the right corner is the the counter weight for the vibrating motor. Check out Ifixit's teardown. I do notice that my phone gets very hot in the area that the accelerometer and gyroscope are located (right next to the processor which is located by the power button). Initially I thought it was a bug, but now I'm convinced that it's a hardware problem...

caporalea

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Question for Sprint Users who returned their phones via mail: Did you have to send the phone in before they sent a new one or did they send you a new one, and then have you send back the defective one? I ask because there are no corporate stores near me, (theres one non-corporate store 10 minutes away but they wont take it because I preordered it online,) and I cannot go a single day without a phone due to my job. I've already returned one due to a defective antenna and had to drive two hours to get to a corporate store. I really don't have time to be doing all this driving around and its really annoying that these sprint stores that are franchised can't take the phone back. Honestly it seems pretty simple. Give me a new phone, get corporate sprint to replace the phone that was given to the customer. Geez. Sorry for ranting.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
If you're concern about the heat from the fast charger wait until you use the GPS.
This thing gets HOT while using it. Mine stop working after about half a hour of using it.
If you love your S6 edge and want it to keep it working don't use the fast charger or GPS
We that would be pointless if those are features of the phone

The only real solution it seems is of Samsung pushes an update to fix this problem...this seems like a Samsung issue to me

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6!

orangemartini

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
Jeez, guys, what a nightmare you're all having. I've had my T-mobile 64 edge for four and a half days. I have the rattle in the upper corner. Rotation is working fine so far. Looks like you all had a problem in two days or less. So am I in the clear? Wishing you all the best of luck getting this resolved as quickly as possible...