S6 Edge - Screen rotation does not work properly

face_of_goat

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Wondering if anyone else has had this issue with the S6 edge, or perhaps there is something wrong with my phone...

Got the Edge yesterday, loving it except, the screen won't rotate.

Open camera app, the screen is always oriented downwards. It will not take portrait pictures at all - it simply doesn't rotate to portrait orientation.

Open any games, they will only be oriented downwards also.

The accelerometer is functional - tested with a game "extreme car driving" that lets you control steering by phone tilt - worked fine.
However, even that game automatically instantly re-orients itself upside down when you open it.

Screen rotation is toggled on. I have tried with it off, no difference.

Have rebooted several times. Have turned phone off and left it off for an hour, turned back on, didn't help.

Have not tried a factory reset yet... not particularly keen on doing it but I guess that is my next step unless someone here has any suggestions.

Did a factory reset. Didn't help. Argh.

Google doesn't seem to turn up anyone else having this issue as far as I can see?

Model is SM-6925I
Android 5.0.2 of course..

Last edited:

face_of_goat

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Mine is stuck in normal, vertical mode. Screen rotation is on too, yet the camera and apps won't go horizontal.

Yeah that's exactly what mine's doing.

Samsung told me to return it.

I will post again with the branch's response when I take it in. Might have to be Monday.

anon(5419168)

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Got my tmobile white 32gb s6 edge on April 6th. Worked fine until the next day when showing the camera off to a friend. I notice when on the camera screen the settings text was up side down. Auto-rotate setting is toggled on. I cleared the cache, did a full restore a few times, *#0*# and the sensors read fine, and nothing worked. Spent an hour on a call with tmobile tech support and they were stumped. They decided to ship me a new one. They ended up shipping a non edge s6 in error. Called them back and got an 64gb edge ordered instead. Now I have 2 edge and a regular sitting here.

When I first set up the phone I kept getting an error "Unfortunately, touchwiz has stopped" and I would end up with that error message and just a black screen. One last thing with the auto-rotate. Tried loading another launcher to see if that would allow the screen to rotate. It didn't help so uninstalled.

Pro3D

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Same Exact Issue Here. Only way I can FORCE landscape is by opening an app side by side while watching a YouTube video set to fullscreen. I guess I have to go stand in line for two hours because I'm a stupid early adopter.

PRidd

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
Went to VZ after work. I walked in and announced that my screen didn't rotate. The 3 employees looked at me like I was retarded and said, "You have to turn Screen Rotation on."

Then one of them took the phone and tried... Failed lol.. He passed the phone off to another genius and he couldn't get it to rotate either. They ended up confirming that it was defective and told me I have to go to a different store for a replacement, so I did.

Same thing at the next store. They made me feel like a moron until they realized it was defective too. Then they said they don't have any more in stock so I have to call VZ myself for a replacement... Grrrr

jexx

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Went to VZ after work. I walked in and announced that my screen didn't rotate. The 3 employees looked at me like I was retarded and said, "You have to turn Screen Rotation on."

Then one of them took the phone and tried... Failed lol.. He passed the phone off to another genius and he couldn't get it to rotate either. They ended up confirming that it was defective and told me I have to go to a different store for a replacement, so I did.

Same thing at the next store. They made me feel like a moron until they realized it was defective too. Then they said they don't have any more in stock so I have to call VZ myself for a replacement... Grrrr

This is one of many reasons I dislike going to a Verizon Store, bunch of smart asses, really sad...have to act like they are doing you a favor,instead of, happily offering help you out, customer service, yeah, right!.

techman05

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
So... did they overnight your and you find out it works now. Add mine to my list if it is a defective issue. All I know is version was having a real hard time activating the s6's so I should have expectedo something else would go bump in the night.

techman05

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Did anyone get their replacement in store and have this fixed. I was kind of hoping it was a calibration issue and that I didn'the find the setting yet. I hope I don'the need a replacement. As is said with a home "I just opened the last boxes".

Pro3D

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I went down to my local Verizon store in Vallejo, CA and fortunately they had a replacement. I got home and used my new s6 Edge replacement, now with rotating screen. Thinking maybe it was a bugged unit. Couple hours later I laid down to take a nap and charge the phone. It downloaded a bunch of updates and when I picked it up...

NO ******* SCREEN ROTATE AGAIN. SECOND PHONE! I am now systematically rolling back apps and trying to see if I can figure it out. Unless my wall socket is shorting something? Unlikely as EVERYTHING else works great. SIGH,:(

face_of_goat

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Someone made me aware of the sensor debugging stuff, so here is a graph that shows the x angle sensor is ****ed:

Ugh. Stupid. My account has less than 10 posts so I can't post a link.

it's at imgur: sL33Wfb

sL33Wfb.png

DNA BOY

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same issue plus my camera shows everything up side down. Is there still no solution to this? I would hate to return my Edge to get another with the same problem.

swiftkick2dnuts

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
did the *#0*# to test the sensor

Accelerometer Sensor x is stuck at -32768

someone on the xda forum said theirs was stuck at the same. hopefully there is a software fix for this.

techman05

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
O.k here the kick. I called up verizon just now and they says it's a framework issue. If samsung kies works for you they were looking for me to either backup and do an emergency reset which should force a framework update and make everything cool or go to my store and talk to a samsung rep which should have the same fix (buy may still involve a reset and restore)

I can't use kies since it tells me to use smart switch [which isn't a tool for this issue] so I gotta wait till 10 am and see if there's not a line down the street to get this done.

Wish you luck

techman05

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I know that I just don't see a way to do anything than transfer to a new phone option on the Samsung switch program. Aparrently whoever guiding verizon recommended so I'm passing along what "they" said.

Pro3D

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Someone made me aware of the sensor debugging stuff, so here is a graph that shows the x angle sensor is ****ed:

Ugh. Stupid. My account has less than 10 posts so I can't post a link.

it's at imgur: sL33Wfb

View attachment 171018

Your sensors are most likely ok. I used that app too.. try an app called CHECK MY ANDROID. It actually references sensors and not the bugged framework variable. UPDATE: Redacted... the variable was messed up, I just didn't scroll down far enough in the other app to see it!!! ***

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay