S6 Edge - Screen rotation does not work properly

cruisencode

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
This is a hardware issue with the accelerometer chip which seems to fail after a fast charge which heats up the battery and nearby components. This cannot be fixed via firmware/software updates.

I don't think this is necessarily true. My wife and I both have the 64GB Verizon S6 edge and only mine has this issue. We have both used the fast charger and both used the wireless charger. One difference that I can think of is that I setup the fingerprint security and she did not. Also, I have an Android Wear watch and she has a Samsung Gear watch (I forget which model).

techman05

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I set up finger print and still can rotate. I only had a weird experience when I plugged in a more firmer USB plug and one of the volume button felt like they were being pushed and returned back to it's place. Note: it was already doing the issue before hand.

If it is a charge issue I'd bet there's a plastic ring around the inside and the rotation chip is somewhere around there.

caporalea

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
This is a hardware issue with the accelerometer chip which seems to fail after a fast charge which heats up the battery and nearby components. This cannot be fixed via firmware/software updates.

The testing platform only displays the info it's getting from the accelerometer. If the drivers for the accelerometer are buggy, there's no way to tell if it is a hardware or software issue unless Samsung confirms, or someone opens the phone and confirms that the chip is shot.

Additionally this is the same issue affecting the nexus 7, 5, and many other lolipop devices.

sarv79

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
So I received my first S6 edge on the 11th and the screen rotation wasn't working right out of the box. I was able to exchange at a corporate store and got a new one. For two days the replacement worked fine and then, for no reason, stopped rotating. I called Verizon back and told them this was the second phone that's done this. They finally acknowledged this is an ongoing issue, but since they've already replaced my phone once that they were referring me to Samsung directly. I spoke with a Samsung rep and they too acknowledged this problem. So now I had to ship my S6 edge to Samsung so that their techs can attempt to fix the issue. Luckily I still had my S5 and had to reactivate that. So the turn around time was 2 days to get to Samsung, up to 7 days for them to "fix" it, and then up to 2 days to get back to me. So 11 days (not including the weekends) I'll be without a phone I paid full price for. I guess this is what I get for jumping on the "new phone" craze.

RN50

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
Just out of interest is this an American issue or worldwide issue. Im from the UK and everything is working ok for me and going through the thread i can't see anyone from the UK complaining?

nikitathedog

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
This reminds me back to my moto droid one. It had some rotation issues. I was one of the first to get it back then and it seems a few of us said it did a rotation and there all by it self it stopped doing it on the home scren. Newer units didnt rotate on the home screen and moto never figured out the cause except to say that was the was it was supposed to work. So a bunch of us had a phone that worked that way but wasnt supposed to but quit on its own to work the way it was intented.....go figure.

I dont see much on the 128 variant although some of those havent hit yet. They will this weekend and im getting mine today. Att and sprint has some 128's out.

So wondering if a first run issue. If samsung has no idea then I wonder how many of the 10 MILION units they shipped are broken. Bye bye profits on replacing multiple phones they have no idea whats wrong.

After I get my 128 up and running ill let you all know if I have an issue. Hope not.

DNA BOY

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I got my replacement but I haven't done the update yet what do you guys think? Should I do the update? A lot of people where saying everything was good until they updated.

jettie1767

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I got my replacement yesterday. The good news is that the screen rotates. The bad news is that it randomly turns off every few minutes. So, I've decided to go back to my iPhone 6 Plus. I can't waste my time backing up and restoring and don't want to do that a 3rd time. Maybe I will try it again in the next iteration.

HabsFan

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Picked up my replacement yesterday and so far so good. The Verizon rep I was dealing with said 2 other people came in since I did on 4/14 with the same issue. He said he thinks it might be a software issue and now that Samsung is seeing more units returned with the issue they will likely push out an update as they are paying more attention to it. I'm still not sure if it is hardware or software. I guess we'll only know if/when we officially hear from Samsung.

DocRid

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
Looks like it lasted him about 2 days.
Posted via the Android Central App

Only a little over one day. :'(

Got it on the 15th. Screen rotation worked when I picked it up. I then charged it when I got home and when it finished charging the screen rotation still worked. Then it sat on my desk being unused for a whole day until I checked it and the screen rotation didn't work anymore. The camera is stuck upside-down.

Interestingly, if I lay the phone down flat on a table and turn the screen on while the camera app is running, it will sometimes go rightside-up, but will go upside-down as soon as I move the phone in any way.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I just read this issue is limited to some Verizon and Sprint phones. I just got a TMobile gold 64 gb, but may not want to open it. Any TMobile users with this rotation screen issue?

OvertheVerizon

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Why wouldn't you want to open it? How else are you going to know whether your device works or not? You said yourself that the bug seems to be limited to Verizon and Sprint phones anyway.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Why wouldn't you want to open it? How else are you going to know whether your device works or not? You said yourself that the bug seems to be limited to Verizon and Sprint phones anyway.
I am tempted to open it for sure, but I don't want to pay any restocking fees should I need to return it, and I am also waiting for my screen protector and case to arrive by early next week. I haven't read all the posts on this long thread, I will now though to see if the issue is carrier specific.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Tmobile user here. My edge received on 4-6 stopped rotating. I get my 3rd edge today from UPS.

Posted via the Android Central App
Oh no, sorry to hear! I feel bad for you and others. Did TMobile charge you a restocking fee, and how easy was it to get a replacement? I just powered my new gold 64 gb, ha. Hopefully mine will not have the issue. I guess I will not transfer all of my stuff from my Note 4 to 6 Edge yet then.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza