Okay, picked up mine and my mothers phone yesterday at Best Buy took about an hour and a half total to activate both phones. Got home and was worried about how I was going to switch everything from my s3 to the new galaxy. (mainly the SD Card storage) The staff at Best Buy told me about the samsung Smart Switch app. Can I just say that is a miracle app. Quickly and smoothly transferred everything from my internal memory and my external sd card ( including all 3085 songs and photos ). One happy camper!

On a totally separate note, does anyone else think the old plastic version of galaxy (S3 in my case) feels like a child's toy compared to the S6? The feel is so much better quality wise!

Posted via Android Central App
    erasat, leanneleg and aggie like this.
    04-11-2015 11:21 AM
    I agree Denise it's an amazing app, I copied a ton of data from my s4 and it was a breeze, the only thing I can't figure out is how to take a backup of my phone to the pc since it didn't work with kies 3?
    04-12-2015 07:12 AM
    Are either of you on Verizon wireless? Asking because I was planning on using the Verizon wireless backup to restore to the new phone when I get it (waiting for my pre-ordered gold edge). Wondering which s better to use.
    04-12-2015 07:28 AM
    Are either of you on Verizon wireless? Asking because I was planning on using the Verizon wireless backup to restore to the new phone when I get it (waiting for my pre-ordered gold edge). Wondering which s better to use.
    I'm on VZ and I personally like Smart Switch better. It's a fairly no brainer app, just make sure you have it installed on both phones you will be backing and restoring to and away you go.
    DianeR likes this.
    04-12-2015 07:38 AM
    So do you download the app on both devices? I'm having issues with my edge and have a replacement on my way but have already spent hours customizing it so wouldn't mind not having to redo all that.

Edit: nevermind, didn't see the post above. I'll give it a shot in a few days when my new phone arrives. Thanks for the tip!
    04-12-2015 09:30 AM
    I agree, I went from the S5 to the S6 edge and it transferred everything I wanted it too. Even my entire text conversation with the girlfriend, my wifi passwords etc... highly recommend.
    DianeR and Tracy Talbot1 like this.
    04-12-2015 10:41 AM
    So do you download the app on both devices? I'm having issues with my edge and have a replacement on my way but have already spent hours customizing it so wouldn't mind not having to redo all that.

Edit: nevermind, didn't see the post above. I'll give it a shot in a few days when my new phone arrives. Thanks for the tip!
    Just follow this link http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ch-pc-mac.html and download and install your version of Smart Switch and do a Full Backup of your phone, then you are ready to restore it on your new one.
    STEVESKI07 likes this.
    04-12-2015 12:03 PM

I agree, I went from the S5 to the S6 edge and it transferred everything I wanted it too. Even my entire text conversation with the girlfriend, my wifi passwords etc... highly recommend.
    i had my first S6 Edge bricked a few days after i received it so i got a replacement. the bricked unit became UNbricked after me wildly pressing the volume up+power+home, etc, countless times, so i had both of my S6 Edges operating when the 2nd S6 Edge arrived.

the issue with trying to transfer wifi password using Smart Switch is:

you cannot install Smart Switch when you are initiating the new S6 Edge! you need to TYPE IN your wifi password literally in step 2, 3 seconds into your setup process! That's like screen 2 after you input your language preference!

that means you HAVE to input your own wifi password, and if it's long, it's a bummer.

they ought to refine the already excellent Smart Switch process so that it can be on Screen 2, immediately after selecting language preference, so that everything can be transferred over INCLUDING wifi password, etc.
    MDrakk likes this.
    04-12-2015 01:07 PM
    Would smart switch keep apps and other icons on same location as on previous Galaxy s5. Asking if is done all backup via smart switch using pc and restore everything to email GALAXY S6. This works on ios via iTunes but wondering if would do same between s5 and s6?

Sent via the GALAXY S6 on AT&T
    Please excuse my brevity
    04-14-2015 09:23 AM
    I have to agree that this app is and was very useful in easily switching my info from one phone to my S6 edge
    04-14-2015 02:46 PM
    So does smart switch only transfer between mobile devices or is this a decent way to transfer media to and from a laptop..specifically a macbook?
    In the past i have used android file transfer but would love to find a cable free alternative. Is this it?
    04-15-2015 11:35 AM
    It didn't transfer all as expected from restore option from my laptop.

Sent via the GALAXY S6
    04-15-2015 11:37 AM
    Here is a Smart Switch FAQ that may answer some questions here:

Samsung Smart Switch™
    04-15-2015 01:51 PM
    Honestly, the Smart Switch thing is a bit confusing. There seem to be multiple versions of the app out there for PC/Mac. One is the single use type app to transfer stuff from an old phone. The other seems to be the replacement for Kies and has file browsing, backup, restore, upgrade functionality.
    One purpose SmartSwitch can be downloaded here.
    Useful SmartSwitch that replaces Kies can be downloaded here.
    04-15-2015 03:04 PM
    Smart switch is awesome but good lord, it's taking forever. I did have a lot of photos etc but whoa lol. In the old days I'd just leave my phones plugged into the pc and transfer that way. Smart switch is awesome and I plan to clean my contacts up. Gold edge 128 gb... So sweet
    04-15-2015 11:56 PM
    I had around 14 gb worth of data and it didn't take more than 20 minutes from s4 to SG edge.
    04-16-2015 12:11 AM
    It took approximately 2 and a half hours to transfer all my stuff, (I had a ton of music on the SD card, around 4,000 Songs)... I just popped a movie in and let it do its thing, lol

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-18-2015 05:39 PM
    i had my first S6 Edge bricked a few days after i received it so i got a replacement. the bricked unit became UNbricked after me wildly pressing the volume up+power+home, etc, countless times, so i had both of my S6 Edges operating when the 2nd S6 Edge arrived.

the issue with trying to transfer wifi password using Smart Switch is:

you cannot install Smart Switch when you are initiating the new S6 Edge! you need to TYPE IN your wifi password literally in step 2, 3 seconds into your setup process! That's like screen 2 after you input your language preference!

that means you HAVE to input your own wifi password, and if it's long, it's a bummer.

they ought to refine the already excellent Smart Switch process so that it can be on Screen 2, immediately after selecting language preference, so that everything can be transferred over INCLUDING wifi password, etc.
    Obviously you have to put your initial WiFi password in for setup, but smart switch is great for transferring passwords if you have multiple networks saved. I have WiFi at home, work, school, and multiple houses. I set my phone up at home so, obviously, that's the password I remember off my head. Makes sense to me for that to be the only one you have to enter.
    04-19-2015 09:39 AM
    I used it to transfer files from S6 to S6 edge...comes in handy
    04-20-2015 03:04 PM
    Is it faster to do this with the apps on the phones or via USB connection? I'm just switching from an S6 to S6, just want the same things transferred between phones. I have about 3k pictures, no music yet.
    05-27-2015 09:49 PM
    Hi, I have just bought the Samsung S6 and need to transfer all my photos on the SD card off my old S4. Does the Smart Switch app transfer off the SD card & will it transfer all my current apps too. Thankyou Tracy X
    11-18-2015 01:36 AM
    Just copy restore or back up file from kies & replace it in smart switch. I did it a day before
    09-13-2016 06:16 AM
    Okay, picked up mine and my mothers phone yesterday at Best Buy took about an hour and a half total to activate both phones. Got home and was worried about how I was going to switch everything from my s3 to the new galaxy. (mainly the SD Card storage) The staff at Best Buy told me about the samsung Smart Switch app. Can I just say that is a miracle app. Quickly and smoothly transferred everything from my internal memory and my external sd card ( including all 3085 songs and photos ). One happy camper!

On a totally separate note, does anyone else think the old plastic version of galaxy (S3 in my case) feels like a child's toy compared to the S6? The feel is so much better quality wise!

Posted via Android Central App

This is what I want to do. I have an S3 with 64gb on an External MicroSD. I have a new S7 with a new 200gb microSD external storage. How do migrate my old phone stuff onto the new phone. I want all my External drive contents of the 64gb microSD card to be duplicated onto the 200GB microSD external Card.

The Samsung tech tells me that External storage content from the 64GB card will go to the INTERNAL Storage of the S7 Phone. Is that true? thats defeats the purpose!

Please help.
    08-24-2017 11:49 PM
    I'm not sure what everyone is drinking, but I just spent the last hr on the phone with support and SS does not restore data to external SD chip. It will ask you if you want to include it when you back the data up, but don't let you think it will put it back to the chip when you restore the data. I lost my s7 which had a 128G chip and about 90G of data on it. Pick up a new S9, installed 128G chip, click restore. It failed at 50% and 5 hrs, as it was out of internal memory. Really, the engineers took the lazy way out, as usual. Very disappointed and from now on I will manually copy data from phone to backup. The incremental backups also sucks, so your better off managing the backup manually with a home grown script to copy the data. Typical software engineers, they get you 90% there then drop the ball.
    firehooper likes this.
    05-03-2018 04:55 PM
    I'm not sure what everyone is drinking, but I just spent the last hr on the phone with support and SS does not restore data to external SD chip. It will ask you if you want to include it when you back the data up, but don't let you think it will put it back to the chip when you restore the data. I lost my s7 which had a 128G chip and about 90G of data on it. Pick up a new S9, installed 128G chip, click restore. It failed at 50% and 5 hrs, as it was out of internal memory. Really, the engineers took the lazy way out, as usual. Very disappointed and from now on I will manually copy data from phone to backup. The incremental backups also sucks, so your better off managing the backup manually with a home grown script to copy the data. Typical software engineers, they get you 90% there then drop the ball.
    Yes! What is this "Smart Switch is Awesome" kool-aid? This program is the worst! I've been trying for DAYS to get Switch to restore to my external sd on my Galaxy s5, and no matter what I try, it ain't happening. I've tried restoring one category at a time, but the program still gums up. I'll check only restore photos, and it will still try to restore the entire backup, even though I told it not to. Completely frustrated and disappointed.
    07-28-2018 10:49 PM