I wanted to know if it's detrimental to keep the Handset connected to the fast charger when at home, Will it have a detrimental effect on the lithium ion battery?

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-12-2015 06:59 AM
    No, the charge stops when the battery is fully charged. I've had lithium batteries connected to chargers for months at a time. (My main driver has been on the charger for about 20 hours now, and it'll stay there until about 2 hours from now, when I leave the house.) Worry about draining the battery down below 40% - that's bad. Don't worry about overcharging it - you can't.
    04-13-2015 10:31 AM
    I'm not 100% sure about that statement. Use caution.
    04-13-2015 10:36 AM
    After about 10 years of testing, I'm absolutely certain that, as long as the circuitry doesn't fail, you can leave a lithium battery on a charger for months with no harm. (If the charger fails and applies 110 Volts to the phone, of course there will be problems - like talking to the fire inspector.) In fact, I have an old one (about 7 years old) that's been sitting on its charger for a few days now, and every few hours it charges for a few minutes. (Needless to say, it's not in very good condition, but that's because it was badly abused.)
    04-16-2015 06:08 PM
    What about the claim of going below 40%?
    04-16-2015 06:33 PM
    Hell my s3 goes below that all the time....some times no choice.
    04-16-2015 07:50 PM
    What about the claim of going below 40%?
    You can look for yourself:

Battery University - How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - look at table 2. (Cadex is the largest manufacturer of battery testing equipment. What they don't know about how batteries act under different charge conditions isn't knowable.) Notice that the longest life would be at about 50%. (25% and 10% give more charges, but you're using so little of the battery that the total amount of power the battery is supplying over its lifetime is lower.)

I've seen runs that show that there's not much difference at 40%, but by 30%, the amount of power you get from the battery, and the length of time it lasts, are a lot less.

Nikitathedog, the battery really doesn't care if you can charge it or not, if you constantly drop it down to 5% or so, it may not last even a year. (Then again, I've had batteries mistreated and lasting years. The technology isn't yet on the nano scale, so some batteries will keep working no matter what you do to them, and some will develop dendrites after a few charge cycles.) The best bet is to recharge at no less than 40% (that's what power packs are for - if you're not near an outlet you can still plug the phone in), but some people kill the battery every cycle and have no problem. (And some people run across freeways without getting hit.)
    becosemsaida likes this.
    01-08-2016 07:01 PM