I've had my edge (32gb) on Sprint since picking it up at the store on friday. I'm really enjoying this phone especially coming from an s4. Everything about it is/was great until i tried to look up a menu while on the phone making lunch plans with a friend. It was unable to establish a data connection. At first i thought maybe it was because i wasn't in a location with 4g until i realized i was at home and I've always been able to surf /talk at the same time with my s4 because it had a 4g signal! Since then I've constantly tried to make calls but the lte signal disappears the minute i send the call out. Not to mention it's always on 1 bar. Smh has anyone else heard of or had this happen to them? Should i go to sprint?

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-14-2015 06:24 AM
    Because of the new Sprint Spark they have disabled the ability to use data while on the phone except for maps I believe. You have to be connected to WiFi in order to talk and surf the Web at the same time. Dumb if you ask me

Posted via AC app from my Galaxy S6 Edge
    04-14-2015 08:02 AM
    Because of the new Sprint Spark they have disabled the ability to use data while on the phone except for maps I believe. You have to be connected to WiFi in order to talk and surf the Web at the same time. Dumb if you ask me

I guess I was fortunate because the girl I bought mine from warned me about this. Not a problem for me but I can see how it'd be annoying for extreme multitasking.
    04-14-2015 09:42 AM
    I guess I was fortunate because the girl I bought mine from warned me about this. Not a problem for me but I can see how it'd be annoying for extreme multitasking.
    Definitely upset to find this out. So is this permanent? If so im giving this beautifully gimped phone back. I read somewhere verizon and att were removing apps and features but this is unacceptable. 12 years of sprint and they're once again going backwards. I mean the other 3 carriers support simultaneously browsing and talking. Sprint decides they'll give us unlimited data but limit it's usefulness? That's like having a hellcat challenger that can't go over 100mph smh. Thanks guys.

04-14-2015 12:26 PM
    This is so dumb. This is minor multitasking... Not even close to extreme. Lol. Terrible idea. Hopefully there is a work around for you.
    04-14-2015 12:29 PM
    Definitely upset to find this out. So is this permanent? If so im giving this beautifully gimped phone back. I read somewhere verizon and att were removing apps and features but this is unacceptable. 12 years of sprint and they're once again going backwards. I mean the other 3 carries support simultaneously browsing and talking. Sprint decides they'll give us unlimited data but limit it's usefulness? That's like having a hellcat challenger that can't go over 100mph smh. Thanks guys.

Unfortunately you cannot do this anymore on Sprint. I will list below as to why.

The older phones had two CDMA radios put in them (such as the S3 on Sprint). One dedicated to voice -- another dedicated to data. Therefore you could do voice and data. GSM has always been one radio .. because that one radio can do both tasks at the same time. They got around it on CDMA by simply adding another radio in there and dedicating each one to one task.

Now a days they're getting rid of that second CDMA radio. So therefore you can only use talk, or data -- not both at the same time. Now if you're using VoLTE it will allow voice and data since the call will be going through LTE (as data) and .. data will be data. So it is technically then all data. Verizon can get by since they have VoLTE ... Sprint doesn't yet so .. No other work-around except to just use WiFi while on the call.
    04-14-2015 12:29 PM
    12 years of sprint and they're once again going backwards.
    I hear ya! I was with Sprint for 15 years...until last week. Kinda sad as if felt to me like there like they were/are coming apart at the seems. Over the last couple years, their voice signal strength dwindled...can't keep a call connected, phone never rings, then hours later get a pile of voicemails from missed calls that never rang...and don't get me started on the horrid data network speeds and intermittent (at best) 4G LTE. This was across multiple phones and a large service area. Maybe they work better in other areas, but for me they really went to pieces around here in recent years. Switched to Verizon with the S6. I may end up paying more, but damn its nice being able to complete an actual phone call, and having useful data speeds!
    04-14-2015 12:43 PM
    I hear ya! I was with Sprint for 15 years...until last week. Kinda sad as if felt to me like there like they were/are coming apart at the seems. Over the last couple years, their voice signal strength dwindled...can't keep a call connected, phone never rings, then hours later get a pile of voicemails from missed calls that never rang...and don't get me started on the horrid data network speeds and intermittent (at best) 4G LTE. This was across multiple phones and a large service area. Maybe they work better in other areas, but for me they really went to pieces around here in recent years. Switched to Verizon with the S6. I may end up paying more, but damn its nice being able to complete an actual phone call, and having useful data speeds!
    Looking at verizon and att plans as we speak. Literally the last strike. I tolerated the slow(est) data speeds and sub par call quality but this is ridiculous. I see why they and tmobile so freely give unlimited data/voice. You won't be able to use it half the time to begin with. I guess in this case we're getting what we pay for now.

DWS44 likes this.
    04-14-2015 01:05 PM
    Looking at verizon and att plans as we speak. Literally the last strike. I tolerated the slow(est) data speeds and sub par call quality but this is ridiculous. I see why they and tmobile so freely give unlimited data/voice. You won't be able to use it half the time to begin with. I guess in this case we're getting what we pay for now.

T-Mobile can do voice and data on a call. Either on LTE or even just HSPA. A single GSM radio can handle both functions .. the older technology (CDMA) which Sprin & Verizon use cannot. Verizon can bypass this since they now launched VoLTE so .. the call + data all goes through LTE as data.
    04-14-2015 02:02 PM
    If you use hangouts ypu can use the hangouts dialer and make a call that way it sends the call through voip so u can still surf while on the phone similar to volte
    04-16-2015 11:34 AM
    Was in a sprint store yesterday and I complained about the spark network not being able to talk and surf at the same time. Sales rep said sprint is going to enable the ability to talk and use data at the same time later this year. I hope he wasn't just blowing smoke up my a$$.

Posted via Android Central App
    Monee_121 likes this.
    05-22-2015 03:48 PM
    I was told the same thing by customer care a few weeks ago

05-22-2015 04:41 PM
    That's why I stepped down from my m8 last year to the moto x 2013. Having data while talking is a must for me.. I was bummed out but honestly I am not missing anything . The race to get the latest specs is over for me . Kit Kat 4.4 runs circles around Lollipop as far as stability and battery life. And a $100 2 year old cellphone can do everything your $800 note edge does.

05-24-2015 07:27 AM
    Was in a sprint store yesterday and I complained about the spark network not being able to talk and surf at the same time. Sales rep said sprint is going to enable the ability to talk and use data at the same time later this year. I hope he wasn't just blowing smoke up my a$$.

I just activated my Moto X Pure Edition on Sprint this week, coming from a Moto X 2013, and discovered this huge step backwards as well. Been with Sprint for 18 years and if they don't get this figured out, I won't be able to stay.
    09-19-2015 08:49 AM
    You can't do it with Verizon either. It is Samsung. They took one of the radios out. Cheaper to make the phones.

09-19-2015 05:34 PM
    I was told that ATT created a lawsuit and Sprint has discontinued that feature on all new phones in 2014 as a result. Verizon and T-mobile are buying rights to the feature. I think this is the last straw between Sprint and me.

Where do I go? Cricket? My friend uses them and likes it.
    09-19-2015 10:07 PM
    I have edge note because sprint is on the spark network u can not talk and surf the web
    12-01-2015 12:21 PM

Well they was blowing smoke because it us november 30 2016 and still can not make a call and use data at the same time
    11-30-2016 12:20 PM
    Yes you can my daughter has Verizon
    11-30-2016 12:22 PM