Help: S6 Edge Screen Dims with Auto-Brightness Turned OFF - Glitch?

whoamiwhoareu

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Ok, really need some advice help on this one. I have my newly purchased yesterday Galaxy S6 Edge for Verizon and auto-brightness is turned off. However, when I go into a dark environment my phone screen dims itself even though the auto feature is turned off.

When in a dark environment I can can hit the phones camera sensor with a flashlight and the screen returns to full brightness. When the screen is then locked and unlocked again it will return to the dim setting.

Extremely frustrating considering how beautiful the S6 Edges screen is. Wondering if there is a fix I can do now, waiting for an OTA update, or just return the phone and get something else.

Also, not sure if the standard S6 is plagued with this problem. I know by reading other forums that a lot of people are having this problem.

Anyways ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

whoamiwhoareu

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
The phone should not dim the screen or raise the brightness level when the auto-brightness is turned off. I'm at a loss on what I should do with the phone. Love it but it looks horrible in low light and takes all the punch of the vivid screen away.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Just spoke to samsung here in Australia..and software update for this problem is out..just requires a factory reset..just use smart switch to do that on comp..hope that helps

asimuk

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
hi guys im experiencing the exact same thing. even when auto brightness is OFF the screen still dims in a dark room even when the brightness is full. when I shine an LED on it, the screen becomes full brightness again. i would understand all this occurring when auto brightness is ON but not when its off.
i went to 3 different stores to play with the demo model. i put my fingers over the 2 sensors on the top left beside the ear speaker and non of the demo models went dim. i then done the same with mine in the store and boom my screen went dim again. non of the staff could explain this, i called Samsung directly and they don't have a clue about the issue either.
so im now thinking there definetly must be a fix if the demo models don't suffer from this issue but our own consumer models do. must be some sort of internal battery saving option within the device that cannot be controlled. its like the phone is on auto brightness all the time even when auto brightness is OFF. very strange feature which i do not like. and i may return my phone because of this

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Hey there unfortunately i was given wrong info by Samsung so wasted all my time factory reseting and having to load stuff back on, as after it still had same brightness issue... also had all the txt go to large in contacts could hardly see all number or name, i have since contacted my carrier and I'm being sent out a new phone see if this ones ok

I-G-M

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
The thing that caused this glitch for me was downloading the car applicatiom , after i in installed that this glitch went away

shaneontherocks

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
mine does this with auto brightness off.. and randomly ... doesnt matter if im inside or outside... it's frustrating. wonder what it is... I dont have the car mode installed...

Mine does this! is there any updates on a fix? is mine defective? Today is my last day to return it... should I exchnage it? some peopel do not have this problem but I do and it sucks since I can't get my screen's full brightness potential

Last edited by a moderator:

Elephone

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone im having the same issue here. I turned off the auto screen brightness adjust feature on my phone. So still when i am in a dark watching tv the phone dims its display. I also turned off the aviod pocket dial feature which is using the sensor to determine the phone is in the pocket and it dims display and lock the phone as well to avoid pocket calls. So i have both off developer options limit backround processes in normal mode. How ever i remember the whole thing for me started when i turned the pocket dial function on and it seems never really turned off it self. So i did a clear cache and battery stats in recovery, still nothing. Running Miui rom and my phone is a g7 made by elephone company.

Sam Fouani

May 9, 2014
Visit site
I got mixed up.. It's the LUX brightness app.
You gotta use the widget/dashboard and set a link per your discretion.
I shined an LED on the light sensor then manually adjusted the brightness using the LUX app via the LINK option which basically locks your favorite setting in place. Make sure you do the whole process whole under the LED the whole time.
You'll understand the lingo better when you use the app for yourself.

Longtallsambo

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
This is nothing new...my Galaxy S5 has been doing it for two years. Auto brightness turned off, in a normall lit room and then the screen just decides to get so dim, I can barely find my way through settings to change it. Once I had to go into a dark closet so I could see the screen at all. It is past time for Samsung to do something about this problem.

ForeverMinM403

May 21, 2016
Visit site
Finally!!! I found a solution

Okay, I haven't seen anything stating this so far, so I'm unclear if this has already been said.
Anyway, until Samsung figures out and resolves this issue via a software update, this shall have to do.
Knowing this glitch is very annoying myself, here...
Download a 3rd party app or non-standard brightness changing app... such as LUX brightness, that's what I got...
Then download the app "appconfig", it's got a little setting cog on it for the thumbnail...
Then launch that app, scroll down till you see LUX, and click on the first setting, I think it's just labeled "screen brightness", or something. Then change it to manual, or auto, or whatever, and it should override the default brightness software app to change settings.
Anyway, hope this helped, as that glitch was pissing me off while outside...
Also, appconfig can override numerous default settings, when a downloaded app to do so is present...
:)

Last edited:

Edward Higgins

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

My Samsung S5 Active started behaving similarly in April, and I found that toggling the checkbox (Auto setting) would temporarily correct the issue. I prefer that auto is disabled and I like it bright. So, while it has been an annoyance I've been able to toggle the auto checkbox (sometimes it take a few tries) to get it right, however it eventually and always reverts back to auto-enabled. It feels like a bug but I have no idea what triggers it. I had some time to research this and I read this was a known problem and there is supposedly a fix being circulated and my phone is actually downloading an update right now (June 16) and we'll see if this is among the fixes) and I'll report back afterward. But, I wanted to at least share the "toggle trick" in that it might help someone, albeit temporarily.

Ed

Last edited:

svejia

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
Ok, really need some advice help on this one. I have my newly purchased yesterday Galaxy S6 Edge for Verizon and auto-brightness is turned off. However, when I go into a dark environment my phone screen dims itself even though the auto feature is turned off.

When in a dark environment I can can hit the phones camera sensor with a flashlight and the screen returns to full brightness. When the screen is then locked and unlocked again it will return to the dim setting.

Extremely frustrating considering how beautiful the S6 Edges screen is. Wondering if there is a fix I can do now, waiting for an OTA update, or just return the phone and get something else.

Also, not sure if the standard S6 is plagued with this problem. I know by reading other forums that a lot of people are having this problem.

Anyways ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

hi sorry for my bad english I have same problem with Note Edge and I find option how working full brightness.First you must have Custom Rom and Exposed framework after this add module disable sensor.In disable sensor go to light sensor and make value 60000 lum and done.Same is for S6 edge.I hope help you

Last edited by a moderator:

GuccizBud

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

( 2 years later, lol )

For anyone still having this problem, see if the following will help ⁠᎓

・ go to Settings ▸ Display and look for Adaptive brightness ⁠;  if it's enabled then that was the problem, but go ahead and complete these steps regardless of whether it was enabled or not

・ if Adaptive brightness is enabled, do this ⁠᎓  disable it, then enable it again ⁠;  if it was disabled in the first place, just enable it  ( ⁠it should now be enabled, regardless of which group you were in ⁠)

・ tap the setting itself ⁠— ⁠not the button, the words "Adaptive brightness" themselves ⁠— ⁠to access a submenu

・ tap  [⁠ ⁠Reset usage patterns⁠ ⁠]  button, and confirm

・ immediately turn off ( ⁠disable ⁠) Adaptive brightness

・ restart the device, just to be sure ⁠— ⁠can't hurt, might help

If you had Adaptive brightness turned off in the first place, as was my case, then on the surface it looks like none of this should be needed ( ⁠nor should it do anything, for that matter ⁠), but that's the whole problem, isn't it ⁠— ⁠the device acting like Adaptive brightness is ON even when it's OFF. That being the case, what this does is ( ⁠i.) clear out any and all learned adaptive brightness rules and ( ⁠ii.) power reset the Adaptive brightness feature.

I posted this because it did work on my S8+, so I know it can work, but as for your own case I would say it depends, because there are other factors at play, such as your particular device model, whether your model has an adaptive brightness setting in the first place ( ⁠lol ⁠), and whether you have another setting ( ⁠or possibly even an app ⁠) that can influence display brightness . . . so just give it a shot and hope for the best.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kinmo