Just do a full reset if you are getting poor battery life...please

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
to the above posters, you need to do a forum search, there are several tweaks that will help you, one of which is a factory reset , the others are services that need to be disabled and/or updated. Once you do that you will be much much happier with your phones battery life. I'm pushing 16 hours now without a charge after making those tweaks and moderate /heavy use today. I dont have the exact posts handy but I'll see if i can find and link them here in a moment.

Actually no, I wont because I don't have the number of posts to post links.... its a post in the s6 forums that you want , the steps are the same for both the s6 and the edge.

TheGeekNextDoor

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
So I am halfway through my day and not too happy with the results of having turned on google now cards. After 8 hrs and 16 minutes, I'm at 57% battery life. That includes a 29 minute call. Screen time isn't even enough to register. Now I have google play services appearing in the list. It never appeared before. It has kept the phone awake for 23 minutes and has used the GPS for 11 minutes. WTF?!?! It has been sitting on my desk right next to me all day. Why can't it do a little smarter checking?!?! Like notice that once you are on a given wifi, that you likely haven't moved until that wifi disconnects!

I'm going to have to see if I can now just go in and turn off the cards, or if it has effectively woken the beast. I'm just afraid that other apps will also waken google play and make it run down the battery. How is it that one service can be so detrimental to the phone?

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
So I am halfway through my day and not too happy with the results of having turned on google now cards. After 8 hrs and 16 minutes, I'm at 57% battery life. That includes a 29 minute call. Screen time isn't even enough to register. Now I have google play services appearing in the list. It never appeared before. It has kept the phone awake for 23 minutes and has used the GPS for 11 minutes. WTF?!?! It has been sitting on my desk right next to me all day. Why can't it do a little smarter checking?!?! Like notice that once you are on a given wifi, that you likely haven't moved until that wifi disconnects!

I'm going to have to see if I can now just go in and turn off the cards, or if it has effectively woken the beast. I'm just afraid that other apps will also waken google play and make it run down the battery. How is it that one service can be so detrimental to the phone?

When I buy a new phone I always set it as I know I'll use it the most, just set to be more battery efficient while it allows me to use everything I'll need. So in this past 2 weeks, I was testing and testing and it always gave me between 5.25-6 hours of SoT with everything I want on and working.

Then I always move to step 2, where I begin experimenting little by little with things that even when I don't use them, I see people using them and I'd try it just to see how helpful it can be to me, so yesterday I factory reset the phone and set everything again the same but just added the Location feature (turn it on all the time), I turned it on since last night and I began seeing the different Google cards related to them, I set it in Wifi and Cellular data only (Power saving mode) and even with that my battery life has been the worst since I got the phone, I got a little over 4 hours of SoT.

One thing I immediately noticed is that Google got rid of Location Reporting settings, so now, turning Location on will automatically trigger Location History and Reporting. Just before latest Google Updates (I know because I saw it there a couple of days ago) you could turn one on and not the other. Everybody know that the battery drain has always been related to Location Reporting, so in a summary, if you turn on Location now it will definitely drain your battery a lot more than before.

FYI, Location Reporting has never been needed, that's Google trick to know everywhere you go so it can use that data for their ads, so now they seem to just decided to force everybody to do the Reporting.

To finish, I turned Location off again (will turn it on when I need it) and my battery life got back to normal, averaging 5.5 hours of SoT right now. So, food for thoughts.

Last edited:

1dtb

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I have completed the factory reset just because I could not that I complained about battery life but I will take some extra if I can get it. I will report.

As for turning off location history and the like, there are many reasons to keep it turned on. Mainly your safety, I prefer to have my history and whereabouts known. This tracking is rich history if something would ever happen to me. When location is on the police or you can use it faster to maybe find your loved one or you, you can extrapolate from here.

Erm10

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I have to say at this point that doing a factory reset was a huge mistake for me. I was getting decent battery life but was tempted by all the claims of great battery life here.

Since my reset, my battery life seems to be worse even though I have disabled everything (and more) than I did before the reset. There are certain things that I really do not want to shut off, or have to toggle on only when needed like location and auto brightness.

To add insult to injury, the hours wasted getting all my apps back, trying to login to all of the various apps that I have creaeted accounts and passwords for over the years...what a pain in the as@

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I have to say at this point that doing a factory reset was a huge mistake for me. I was getting decent battery life but was tempted by all the claims of great battery life here.

Since my reset, my battery life seems to be worse even though I have disabled everything (and more) than I did before the reset. There are certain things that I really do not want to shut off, or have to toggle on only when needed like location and auto brightness.

To add insult to injury, the hours wasted getting all my apps back, trying to login to all of the various apps that I have creaeted accounts and passwords for over the years...what a pain in the as@

Sorry it didn't work for your, it certainly had work for a lot of others. Go to recovery menu and do a Wipe Cache partition, and then instead of reboot, just use the Power off option, then with the Phone shutdown, connect it to your charger and let it charge to 100%. Then try again and see what happens.

For future references and if you need to do a Factory reset again, just in case, take a look at this thread, read well the referenced link ink there and it will save you tons of hassle and time next time.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s6/520195-full-backup-without-root.html

Good luck.

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
I have 32gb edge on sprint, wasnt disappointed with battery life but saw post like this and felt like it could be better. So i did a full reset and cleared partition cache. Seem battery life didnt get any better. Should I do it again? Ill include pictures. I had moderste use since the full charge. Still always says only 10 hours after I disconnected the charger though. Just wanted someone to compare it to theirs for me as tuesday is my exchange date deadline.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 114

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I have 32gb edge on sprint, wasnt disappointed with battery life but saw post like this and felt like it could be better. So i did a full reset and cleared partition cache. Seem battery life didnt get any better. Should I do it again? Ill include pictures. I had moderste use since the full charge. Still always says only 10 hours after I disconnected the charger though. Just wanted someone to compare it to theirs for me as tuesday is my exchange date deadline.

If this screenshots are yours, ehhh, you are averaging 6 hours of SoT, don't even touch it, don't know what else you are expecting here but whatever it is you won't reach it.

What it says is that if you keep using the phone exactly as you were, it will last 6 more hours, but obviously of constant use like it seems you were doing. But once you let it sleep in standby mode those numbers will change constantly, what really matters is that is saying that you have used 2 hours and 14 minutes of SoT and still has 64% battery left, that's great battery life.

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
If this screenshots are yours, ehhh, you are averaging 6 hours of SoT, don't even touch it, don't know what else you are expecting here but whatever it is you won't reach it.

What it says is that if you keep using the phone exactly as you were, it will last 6 more hours, but obviously of constant use like it seems you were doing. But once you let it sleep in standby mode those numbers will change constantly, what really matters is that is saying that you have used 2 hours and 14 minutes of SoT and still has 64% battery left, that's great battery life.

Okay thank you I just wanted a comparison with someone elses experience with it. I wasnt expecting much more but after the factory reset it does seem a lot better!

RN50

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
My battery been really good since I got it however during the last few days it was draining slightly faster than normal. I lost the first 5-10% quite quick compared to how the device was in the first week. What I did was drain the battery to around 3-5% and then pop it on charge overnight and hey presto it's back to being a beast. I personally think it's good to drain your device once a week as for me charging it at 30-40% actually gave me worse Battery life.

313.jpg

314.jpg

TheGeekNextDoor

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I finally managed to get my apps back on my phone and end up with decent battery life.

The basic story is that I reset my phone the first time after I had installed all my apps and ended up with a serious battery drain issue. Nothing seemed to help, so the reset seemed like the best way to go. I reset the phone and put the basics on and it was amazing. We are talking 2 day battery life kind of amazing. Then I turned on the google now cards, and the battery life fell into ruin again. But since I had only installed some basic apps, I wasn't in a complicated setup. I wanted to work out a way to get my battery life back.

Sadly, turning off google now cards didn't do a thing to restore my battery life. It is like it turned on a multitude of things that hadn't been happening before. I cleared the cache for google play services. That didn't seem to do the trick, so I disabled the google play services. That was interesting. While it was disabled, I booted up into the mode where I could wipe the cache in the system. Then I came back in and enabled on google play services.

Now my battery shows as being 1 day 4 hours remaining when I take it off a full charge. It seems to hold true to that with use and standby.

It feels like a lot of hocus-pocus that I shouldn't have to do. What things I did that actually had a real effect on the battery life are unknown. All I know is that my phone is at 50% or so after 12-13 hours of standby and normal use for now. For me that may just have to be good enough. Makes me wonder if I should go back at some point and never use any of the google services that kick into this battery draining state and just have an amazing phone with a stellar battery life vs. an amazing phone with a good battery life.

koreaa30

May 17, 2014
Visit site
Just curious are you guys letting the phone die all the way to 0% while doing these tests? Just got my phone and when I loaded everything up it got pretty hot and drained fast. I ended up charging the phone to 100% barely lasted half the day yesterday before I had to charge it again before bed. Should I try factory reset and see how that works out? I have the tmobile edge. Disabled all of tmobile services and some Google services.

TheGeekNextDoor

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm not letting it get all the way down to no battery left. I personally try to keep it above 30%. Before you do the reset, you could try the last thing I did to see if that helps...see my prior post. If that fails, then try a complete reset by turning off the phone and holding the power, home, and volume up buttons until it says it is either installing an update or booting into what looks like a BIOS menu. From there wipe the cache and then do a reset.

Don't restore everything. Set it up as a new phone and see what sort of battery life you get before you do anything crazy like go into google now cards or anything like that. If you read my posts in this thread you will see my extensive journey I took to try to get from a mostly dead phone halfway through the day to one that makes it through the day.

Thiscrapsucks35

May 2, 2013
Visit site
For everyone that has done a reset and is setting improved results...

... after the reset did you reinstall everything yourself or use something to restore your previous phone configuration (Nova Launcher backup, for example)?

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I reinstalled everything manually, i found that going into the play store and really evaluating what i had previously installed and deciding if it was a frequent use app really helped sort things out for my app use. For me, some apps performed duplicate functions in various ways, etc. By clearing out and determining what was " must have" vs. "might need" helped out a lot, and made it easier to manage my device.

koreaa30

May 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm not letting it get all the way down to no battery left. I personally try to keep it above 30%. Before you do the reset, you could try the last thing I did to see if that helps...see my prior post. If that fails, then try a complete reset by turning off the phone and holding the power, home, and volume up buttons until it says it is either installing an update or booting into what looks like a BIOS menu. From there wipe the cache and then do a reset.

Don't restore everything. Set it up as a new phone and see what sort of battery life you get before you do anything crazy like go into google now cards or anything like that. If you read my posts in this thread you will see my extensive journey I took to try to get from a mostly dead phone halfway through the day to one that makes it through the day.

Thanks I've read your posts. Just trying to do some testing before I really go about doing a factory reset. I noticed my battery life has been better when WiFi scanning is turned off even when WiFi is toggled off and GPS is only used when needed. Just wanted to see what else can help with the phone draining so much when in use. Idle times seem okay. I see a high cell standby is that supposed to be a bad thing? I come from the line of all the Galaxies starting from the Vibrant. Battery life has always been a problem.

luisrcastillo

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I was very skeptical of this but after doing a full reset, I can confirm that my battery life has significantly increased. I could never get half of what I'm getting.

I use my phone for work... A lot. I spent 5 hours on calls, 3 hours SOT and all day on WiFi since I worked from home. Some texting, YouTube, whatsapp, FB & IG. Very happy with thisuploadfromtaptalk1430181104778.jpguploadfromtaptalk1430181112785.jpguploadfromtaptalk1430181117882.jpg

aspj111

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I did a factory reset when I first set my phone up. I think I get good battery life.

Attachments

• 1430188827123.jpg
    1430188827123.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 1430188845653.jpg
    1430188845653.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 62

TheGeekNextDoor

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Update:
I'm sitting here with 50% of my battery left after a little over 15 hours off the charger. It estimates that I have another 14 hours left. This is with around an hour of calls, almost an hour and a half of screen time and a few dozen photos.

I have just about all my apps installed now. I did set location to just use WiFi and cell. I just don't need the exact location all the time. That stopped the Google services from eating up so much of my battery with the GPS.

I'm very happy with the phone at this point. I think I have a 2-3 year phone for sure. Love the curved edges. Silk not tied of that feature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith