Just do a full reset if you are getting poor battery life...please

TheGeekNextDoor

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Save yourself a lot of grief and do a full reset of your phone. I was SEVERELY disappointed with my phone's (S6 Edge 128 GB) battery life during the first 4 days of owning it. I changed every setting I could. I wiped various caches and blew a lot of time.

No matter what I did, I couldn't get the phone to estimate that I would have more than 12 hours of battery life left after a complete charge. If I left it off the charger at night, it would lose most of the battery during the night with no use at all.

I reset my phone last night. It was at 74% battery when I went to sleep (shortly after resetting and not restoring any settings or app...talking virgin phone setup here) and it was at 73% when I woke up this morning almost 8 hours later. That is my kind of battery life. I'm doing a charge of it now to see how it lasts during the day with normal use. I will say that the phone isn't get hot like it was during the prior days while it is charging.

I'll come back and post my results to this thread over the next couple of days to update you on how the battery is doing. I'll start slowly adding in my various apps to see if a particular app caused the grief.

Yes, I did the Samsung Push app update yesterday afternoon to see if that would help. It didn't appear to help in my case as the phone would be a percent or two down every time I looked at it.

Here's to a better battery experience!

TheGeekNextDoor

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I did a full factory reset that wiped everything (I did not restore from backup when setting it up again). After 4 hours and 5 minutes, I have 89% battery remaining and that is with a 22 minute call in there as well. I haven't been "using" the phone for anything else short of a few minutes looking some stuff up on the web. Just trying to see what it can do sitting still. It did not stand still very well at all prior to today.

I have disabled just about all of the AT&T bloatware that I could find. I have NOT removed/disabled any Samsung software. I did log into and setup facebook, instagram, one drive, flickr, and google+ (the last 3 are setup for automatic backup of photos). I also have it checking my office 365 Exchange account through the samsung email client. Other than that and the initial update of all the software last night to get current, nothing else has been installed or configured. It is now setup as I would need it for basic day-to-day operations as a phone and the tools I use 95% of the time. The messaging client has also been setup to synchronize text messages with the AT&T server for backup purposes.

I'll add games and other junk later once I'm sure the battery is good. I have not adjusted any network settings or wifi settings other than connecting to my 5 GHz apple wifi.

It says 1 Day 20 Hours left on the battery. We shall see how it goes.

Last edited:

TheGeekNextDoor

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
7 hours in and at 83% with 35 minutes of call time.

So far so good after the factory reset. I would have had a dead phone this time yesterday.

TheGeekNextDoor

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
14 hours on battery and now at 66%. Light Web surfing. About a dozen photos. 20 seconds of video recording. 35 minutes of phone calls.

I can say that I am now happy with this phone's battery. All it took was a complete reset.

Not planning on charging it tonight so I can see how it drains tonight.

Posted via the Android Central App

whitezee10

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Okay im getting my s6 edge tomorrow, so how do i do the full reset? Is it from the one where you boot up the device while holding volume up button?

Posted via Android Central App

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Okay im getting my s6 edge tomorrow, so how do i do the full reset? Is it from the one where you boot up the device while holding volume up button?

As soon as you get your device, depending on your carrier, it should have an update pending, don't waste time setting your stuff just skip everything but the WiFi during the initial setup and let it update.

Once it finishes, turn it off, and then press and hold the power, volume up and home button until you see the android logo and something saying that is updating, let off the buttons and just do a Wipe cache partition and then do the Wipe data /Full Reset and reboot and use.

Last edited:

TheGeekNextDoor

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
When I woke up this morning...late...the phone was at 56% battery after 1 day 1 hour 14 minutes. It looks like my standby drain is gone.

I want to stress that this was very light use. There can't be more than an hour and a half of actual use with the phone during this time by me.

It never felt hot, but it is in a case. Almost need a case just to have the phone thick enough to hold! What a first world problem...

aspj111

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Strange, after doing a full factory reset when I look at my battery stats it does not show me estimated battery life remaining...

whitezee10

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
As soon as you get your device, depending on your carrier, it should have an update pending, don't waste time setting your stuff just skip everything but the WiFi during the initial setup and let it update.

Once it finishes, turn it off, and then press and hold the power, volume up and home button until you see the android logo and something dating that is updating, let off the buttons and just do a Wipe cache partition and then do the Wipe data /Full Reset and reboot and use.

Thanks for this! Is the update mandatory, or am i gonna miss anything if i dont update? There had been reports that they got the auto rotate bug after the update. And maybe ill just skip it till it gets resolved.

cdd543

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I did a hard reset on mine last night after a horrific performance. I was at 85% at 3pm and then 9% at 7pm in a strong signal area. Hopefully this will make some difference, but it's worth a shot before returning the device.

TheGeekNextDoor

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I was ready to return mine. I added a bunch more apps that I use and charged it again. Will see how standby goes with more apps in the mix.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for this! Is the update mandatory, or am i gonna miss anything if i dont update? There had been reports that they got the auto rotate bug after the update. And maybe ill just skip it till it gets resolved.

The update is not mandatory but highly recommended as it deals with a couple of pre release bugs and improves fingerprint sensor. I doubt that the update was the culprit for the auto rotate issue that looks more hardware than software related anyway, after the update, always does the wipe cache partition and it should take care of a lot possible software related issues.

mactruck

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I did my reset. These are my results. I streamed Google music for about 5 or 6 hours at the ball field. Streamed 3 innings of a baseball game on MLB at bat. Some lite browsing, texting, Google Drive, twitter etc.

Reset helped me tremendously

Attachments

• 1429379262323.jpg
    1429379262323.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 168

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
My device had no update available when I powered it on, it came with the latest version out the box, can u still fully reset or is this only for those who had an update available out the box????

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2