Is there any way to sort the app drawer alphabetically?

dynot

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Sorting the app drawer and moving icons

Hi everyone. With the recent purchase of my S6 edge I'm new to android and have some quick questions.

First, is there any way to sort the app drawer alphabetically? When I click on edit the only option I get is to disable or uninstall apps.

Secondly, I recently read a tip somewhere that said to reboot into safe mode and then restart to normal. This would help improve battery life. Not sure if this is the cause but I did see an improvement after that. Anyway, I also noticed that apps in the app drawer are now scattered across 6 screens with some containing only 1 or 2 icons. I cannot move these to other screens. Is this normal behavior? Am I stuck with 3 screens with 1 or 2 icons on each? I don't recall if this was the case before I did the boot to safe mode.

Thanks for any advice.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site

dynot

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Re: Sorting the app drawer and moving icons

That's the thing. The only option I have in the app drawer is edit. Unless there's a menu button that I'm not seeing.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

The menu is the 3 dots.

As far as booting into recovery first to prolong battery life, that's like spinning 3 times widdershins under a full moon to get rich. IOW, nonsense. There's no connection between booting into recovery mode and battery life. (Actually it wastes battery - you're booting twice and not getting anything the first time, so battery used for that first boot is wasted.)

Mark_Henson

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

Just to the left of Edit you should see A-Z. That will sort them alphabetically, but if you add more apps, you have to do it again.

dynot

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site

Guys, sorry about my ignorance. Here's a screenshot of what I'm seeing; no menu, no A-Z sorting option. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong so thanks for your patience!

Screenshot_2015-04-19-14-21-08.jpg

wezzyd

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

Yeah kinda wondered how to do this too but looks like you cant

dynot

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site

Yeah, read somewhere after posting that this is a bug on some carriers. I'm with Rogers.

papabutter21

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site

Don't know if you figured out the second part of your post yet but if you boot into safe mode and restart again the app drawer should go back to normal and not have any gaps. Just happened to me yesterday too haha

dynot

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
No, still whacky.

I tried it again and all it did was to rearrange my home screen so I had to set up all my icons again. The app drawer is still the same with icons scattered around and no way to consolidate them on fewer screens. The screen shot i posted above is what I have. The screen before it has one app and the one after is half empty. Of course I did restart in normal mode.

For what it's worth, my battery life has improved significantly in the two weeks I've had my phone. I couldn't get through the day at first but now I'm easily getting 20+ hours which is fine by me. Now I'm not saying the safe mode boot did that but it is an odd coincidence.

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
No, still whacky.

I tried it again and all it did was to rearrange my home screen so I had to set up all my icons again. The app drawer is still the same with icons scattered around and no way to consolidate them on fewer screens. The screen shot i posted above is what I have. The screen before it has one app and the one after is half empty. Of course I did restart in normal mode.

For what it's worth, my battery life has improved significantly in the two weeks I've had my phone. I couldn't get through the day at first but now I'm easily getting 20+ hours which is fine by me. Now I'm not saying the safe mode boot did that but it is an odd coincidence.

It must be a carrier specific thing. My tmo s6 edge has A-z there as well as other major carriers I believe. Rogers doesnt for some reason. Might need to go into a Rogers store and see if S6 on display has same screen as you in the app drawer or if its only your device.

May 3, 2015
Visit site

Don't use TouchWiz? I'm using google now launcher and it automatically alphabetize is the app tray.

art mooney

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Forget touchwiz. Install another launcher. Crazy, but that's the only way.

I've been using Go Launcher for many years, since 2.3.6, and no matter which android I have on my device, it always looks the same. But there are hundreds of other launchers.

RN50

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site

This is most likely carrier specific, in the UK my A-Z was missing but now that 5.1 has come out it has appeared on my phone. Maybe you will get it when you get the new update.

Craig Cockburn

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
Is there an app that actually sorts the app drawer, in the absence of Touchwiz removing this much wanted functionality?

Is there a software update planning to reintroduce it or a local app search function (like HTC)

thanks