Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge corning glass fail?

Brian Wai

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
i bought mine two days ago, and had a cover on it since day one. Yesterday, i shoved my iphone 6+ and the edge together in my "none jeans pants" and climbed into my car, having the edge sandwiched between my legs and the iphone 6+ and this is what happened. i have never dropped it, nor smashed it against anything but if the edge screen cant handle simple applied pressure between, let see flesh and another phone, what is the point paying so much more for something that is so fragile?IMG_0773.JPGIMG_0777.jpgIMG_0778.jpg
btw, i did not put it in my rear back pockets, i shoved both in the left front pocket.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Packing an iPhone 6+ AND an S6 Edge into a pocket puts way too much pressure on both devices (remember Bendgate?). You may not have dropped it, but no case will protect it against deformation stress (such as your leg pressing against an already tight pocket and a hard device like another phone). Gorilla Glass (just like any other glass) is NOT indestructible, it's just more resistant.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The stress is 4 lot higher when placed against a hard surface vs. A more flexible surface such as fabric or your body. I don't fault Samsung for this as it isn't a typical behavior. From the picture, it looks like a concentrated stress(perhaps the corner of the other phone) was applied to next to the ear piece,which then spider webbed out. Certainly unfortunate but not something that I would call fragile.

This is akin to putting a pointy object in your tight pocket on the face of the phone and applying pressure. You can try similar with the iPhone and it will crack too, if the point load stress is high enough.

Also this is not a bend gate type situation as the crack isn't at the middle. In the case of the 6p,the frame was bent at the weak point which is near the volume button.

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
An example of a s6 edge damaged by bending stress.

uploadfromtaptalk1429794093386.jpg

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
off topic:
How do I get the date and time to show up on my edge like the OP shows above?
I've looked thru the settings and don't see anything for that

TIA

orangemartini

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm sorry your new phone is broken. But I gotta go with "user error" here, not Samsung error. Doesn't seem like a good idea to put two phones in the same pocket. Sorry.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah.... I don't see this as a defect either. The glass they are developing might be getting more and more durable, but they aren't impervious to damage... it is, after all, still glass and subject to the same limitations that glass has.

Raf

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
off topic:
How do I get the date and time to show up on my edge like the OP shows above?
I've looked thru the settings and don't see anything for that

TIA

Go into the Edge screen settings under night clock. Trigger it on and set the time frame for when you want it to show. It will display it statically within the alloted time frame in a very dim display. Then there's the edge clock with weather and other notifications. This can me brought up if you simply swipe from left to right or vice versa in a fast motion. Within a second or two, the display on the edge, unlike the night clock, is a somewhat full brightness display of information and is only on for a few minutes.

Brian Wai

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
i took it to to Samsung repair and they were baffled by it. it took them a good half hour trying to figure what happened but didn't came up with anything. so they decided to sent me to Samsung HQ. i went and they said, after a very long argument, it was a manufacturing defect as in the top speaker mash as a slight dent between the last three speaker holes from the right and that caused the crack as you can see from the photos. after that, they told me they would replace the screen with the digitizer for free but apparently they don't have stock and said it might take up to a few weeks since its a new product. i demanded a one for one replacement since its still under 7 day of purchase but they said no....so awaiting for a call...and its been a day already, no calls.

Brian Wai

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry your new phone is broken. But I gotta go with "user error" here, not Samsung error. Doesn't seem like a good idea to put two phones in the same pocket. Sorry.
i understand where ya coming from but seriously though, with the current generations of mobile phones are at, should a user be this careful? its not like i dropped it or sat or it. :'(

americasteam

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
i understand where ya coming from but seriously though, with the current generations of mobile phones are at, should a user be this careful? its not like i dropped it or sat or it. :'(
The phone is mostly glass. Glass will always be glass. Doesn't matter if it's 2015 or 2030. Sorry it broke though.

oqopo

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site

Yes. Why shouldn't a user be this careful with a ~$1k USD device? Technology advancement does not equal to fool prove for everything. User still have to do their part.

Posted via the Android Central App

DSMpowerhousegroup

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Moral of story. Buy a protective holster. Never place a smartphone in your pockets. Especially against another hard object. I've never put any of mine there. I treat my phones with the utmost care.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm