10-09-2015 08:32 AM
27 12
tools
    i bought mine two days ago, and had a cover on it since day one. Yesterday, i shoved my iphone 6+ and the edge together in my "none jeans pants" and climbed into my car, having the edge sandwiched between my legs and the iphone 6+ and this is what happened. i have never dropped it, nor smashed it against anything but if the edge screen cant handle simple applied pressure between, let see flesh and another phone, what is the point paying so much more for something that is so fragile?Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge corning glass fail?-img_0773.jpgSamsung Galaxy S6 Edge corning glass fail?-img_0777.jpgSamsung Galaxy S6 Edge corning glass fail?-img_0778.jpg
    btw, i did not put it in my rear back pockets, i shoved both in the left front pocket.
    0ting0cnI likes this.
    04-23-2015 01:38 AM
    Packing an iPhone 6+ AND an S6 Edge into a pocket puts way too much pressure on both devices (remember Bendgate?). You may not have dropped it, but no case will protect it against deformation stress (such as your leg pressing against an already tight pocket and a hard device like another phone). Gorilla Glass (just like any other glass) is NOT indestructible, it's just more resistant.
    joewoo likes this.
    04-23-2015 02:04 AM
    That sucks man. Sorry to hear it.
    04-23-2015 07:44 AM
    The stress is 4 lot higher when placed against a hard surface vs. A more flexible surface such as fabric or your body. I don't fault Samsung for this as it isn't a typical behavior. From the picture, it looks like a concentrated stress(perhaps the corner of the other phone) was applied to next to the ear piece,which then spider webbed out. Certainly unfortunate but not something that I would call fragile.

This is akin to putting a pointy object in your tight pocket on the face of the phone and applying pressure. You can try similar with the iPhone and it will crack too, if the point load stress is high enough.

Also this is not a bend gate type situation as the crack isn't at the middle. In the case of the 6p,the frame was bent at the weak point which is near the volume button.

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge
    04-23-2015 07:56 AM
    An example of a s6 edge damaged by bending stress.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge corning glass fail?-uploadfromtaptalk1429794093386.jpg

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge
    04-23-2015 08:02 AM
    off topic:
    How do I get the date and time to show up on my edge like the OP shows above?
    I've looked thru the settings and don't see anything for that

TIA
    04-23-2015 08:22 AM
    I'm sorry your new phone is broken. But I gotta go with "user error" here, not Samsung error. Doesn't seem like a good idea to put two phones in the same pocket. Sorry.
    Sammuel1973, munnarg and Bodrul like this.
    04-23-2015 08:26 AM
    Yeah.... I don't see this as a defect either. The glass they are developing might be getting more and more durable, but they aren't impervious to damage... it is, after all, still glass and subject to the same limitations that glass has.
    04-23-2015 08:41 AM
    That sucks. Guessing you might still have some time to add insurance?
    04-23-2015 11:04 AM
    off topic:
    How do I get the date and time to show up on my edge like the OP shows above?
    I've looked thru the settings and don't see anything for that

TIA
    Go into the Edge screen settings under night clock. Trigger it on and set the time frame for when you want it to show. It will display it statically within the alloted time frame in a very dim display. Then there's the edge clock with weather and other notifications. This can me brought up if you simply swipe from left to right or vice versa in a fast motion. Within a second or two, the display on the edge, unlike the night clock, is a somewhat full brightness display of information and is only on for a few minutes.
    pounder001 likes this.
    04-23-2015 11:44 AM
    i took it to to Samsung repair and they were baffled by it. it took them a good half hour trying to figure what happened but didn't came up with anything. so they decided to sent me to Samsung HQ. i went and they said, after a very long argument, it was a manufacturing defect as in the top speaker mash as a slight dent between the last three speaker holes from the right and that caused the crack as you can see from the photos. after that, they told me they would replace the screen with the digitizer for free but apparently they don't have stock and said it might take up to a few weeks since its a new product. i demanded a one for one replacement since its still under 7 day of purchase but they said no....so awaiting for a call...and its been a day already, no calls.
    04-23-2015 10:15 PM
    Ha, may I have the address to "Samsung Repair"?
    04-23-2015 10:48 PM
    That's terrible mam sorry. Gorilla glass or not I refuse to put anything with my phone
    04-23-2015 10:51 PM
    I'm sorry your new phone is broken. But I gotta go with "user error" here, not Samsung error. Doesn't seem like a good idea to put two phones in the same pocket. Sorry.
    ^^^ this x1000
    04-23-2015 10:59 PM
    Ha, may I have the address to "Samsung Repair"?
    i believe we are in different countries. ):
    04-24-2015 04:24 AM
    i understand where ya coming from but seriously though, with the current generations of mobile phones are at, should a user be this careful? its not like i dropped it or sat or it.
    04-24-2015 04:26 AM
    i believe we are in different countries. ):
    And what country do you think I am from? Regardless, what is the address of Samsung Repair?
    04-24-2015 07:16 AM
    i understand where ya coming from but seriously though, with the current generations of mobile phones are at, should a user be this careful? its not like i dropped it or sat or it.
    The phone is mostly glass. Glass will always be glass. Doesn't matter if it's 2015 or 2030. Sorry it broke though.
    04-24-2015 07:51 AM
    Yes. Why shouldn't a user be this careful with a ~$1k USD device? Technology advancement does not equal to fool prove for everything. User still have to do their part.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-24-2015 12:17 PM
    Moral of story. Buy a protective holster. Never place a smartphone in your pockets. Especially against another hard object. I've never put any of mine there. I treat my phones with the utmost care.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-24-2015 04:59 PM
    It is obvious to me this thread is bogus.
    04-24-2015 05:01 PM
    Corning Gorilla Glass is hard, not tough (the two are a see-saw, the tougher it is, the less hard it is). The glass has a hardness of almost 7 (where carbide is 9 and diamond is 10), so it won't scratch, but that makes it more susceptible to breaking from pressure. (Try "breaking" Jell-O by bending it - but you can "scratch" it with a feather.) Until we have transparent steel, the manufacturers have to choose between hard (scratch-resistant) and tough (bend-resistant).

I go along with DSM - I always keep my phone in an Otterbox Defender. Even the holster is difficult to break. (I've dropped the phone a couple of times, once with a lot of force. After that, I won't buy a phone there's no Defender case for.)
    04-24-2015 05:15 PM
    umm i bought the device in bangkok, came to burma for some work related trip and went to the burma samsung repair in downtown if i can recall.
    04-26-2015 05:31 AM
    My kid sister was visiting Georgia over the weekend and her brand new Galaxy S6 Edge shattered. She has never dropped it and nothing ever dropped on it. She's treated it gently and when she left the house in the morning and got in the car she looked down and it was shattered.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge corning glass fail?-edgeshatter.jpg

If there are such widespread reports of the glass having scratches then it's an easy thing to expect that temperature changes could cause those scratches to turn into cracks.

I'm just relaying what my sister says happened but we're like best friends and she has no reason to make crap up. I've heard suggestion that there has to be more to the story but there isn't. It was fine when she walked to the car with it in her hand. After she got in the car and looked down at the screen it was shattered. The monumentally hot interior of the car combined with an obviously defective glass is the probable cause. [As opposed to, say, a hidden assassin with a BB rifle.]
    07-16-2015 08:25 PM
    We are sorry to hear that...
    The force area may be very small at the moment that you climb the car...
    My S6 drop down second and there is nothing happened..
    07-16-2015 09:35 PM
27 12