So looks like I broke my S6 Edge...

shadow82x

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
So here I was installing a wet screen protector with the phone turned off. After the installation I go to turn it on, nothing happens. I've installed wet screen protectors on all my phones without issues in the past, I'm guessing water managed to seep in the edge and short it? What's odd is I'm able to wirelessly charge the phone with the screen lit up and displaying the percent but it wont turn on if I hold the power button. Or if I attempt to to go into recovery mode. Ugh.

Mr_Spencer

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Ouch. And I just installed a wet application SP on my friends edge yesterday. Hope it turns back on soon.

Posted via the Android Central App

shadow82x

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
So after about 6 hours, it managed to turn on out of the blue. (Minutes after posting this topic ironically.) Things are looking like they're in order so far. Battery seems fine, charging seems fine, buttons, sound, etc. That said, I'd be very weary of using water around this thing. In the future I'll be using dry installs for screen protectors. Thank goodness I have warranty on this device for peace of mind, but that was quite frightening.

Edit - Looks like the front camera is quite foggy from condensation. Hoping this will go away within a day or two.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
There is a video I watched on YouTube where the guy soaked an S6 in a tub of water for an hour at least and it still worked. It rebooted a few times on it's own but in the end, it continued to work afterwards.

shadow82x

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm hoping that's the case. I'm getting a random camera failed message quite often, but it hasn't even been 24 hours yet. So I'm hoping all components are fine. In the long-term if I run into issues I have the insurance, but I don't want to use that quite yet.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Since the phone is water resistant, and it wasn't immersed at all, you might be able to make a case for warranty exchange if there are still issues.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Exactly why I'm not a fan of wet screen protectors and besides the ones they sell up here are $40+. No thanks.

SHIFT_sixty four s6 edge

Cajun_Fan

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
I had Verizon put on a Zag that they sell for the S6 edge that came with a front and back. It was a dry install. Well I recently got a new case for it, and when putting the edge in, I caught the bottom next to the home button so on the left of the home button it pulled off and won't re-stick.

I picked up a Invisible shield hd clear for the Galaxy S6 edge at Best buy, and when I got home I noticed the box includes a application solution.

I was planning on taking it up to Wireless Trendz , Wireless Trendz - Springfield's Only Mobile Device Superstore Since 2007! to have them install it, but now I wonder if I should do it, or go back to Verizon Wireless and buy another Zagg from them and just put the front on.

Course if the guy at Wireless trendz doesn't overuse the solution, maybe I'll get lucky and not have any issues after application.

But I'm thinking of going back to Verizon and taking this Invisible shield back to Best Buy. I just hope maybe this time when he puts the Zagg on, no air bubbles at all, even though the first one did go away after 2 days.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I would do the dry install. Don't mess why the wet stuff. That's my 2 cents. Verizon should give you an exchange for the one you bought if it is within the 14 days. If not zagg will give you a replacement free. It's a lifetime warranty.

txladi29

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I installed the invisible Shield onto my edge and hubby's. The solution is very minimal. It is applied directly to the screen protector...it's like an alcohol swab.

shadow82x

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
So now a few days later figured I'd post an update...

Looks like all the components are fine. The front facing camera eventually cleared up. My battery is still pretty suck-ish but it was suck-ish before this haha. For some odd reason the fast charging didn't work until 24 hours later but has since been working fine. So while I was frightened for this phones life, it made it in the end. :') Water resistant? Maybe. But I shouldn't of had this happen from a screen protector.

ibuyufo

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I applied the skinomi full body protector wet style two weeks ago and had no issue. I placed a microfiber towel around the edge area where I was pushing the liquid out from for that reason so it would not run into the phone.

wase4711

May 1, 2010
Visit site
the little bit of water you use installing a wet screen protector wont cause any harm what so ever..just make sure the phone is OFF when you install it

skinnytoo2

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I got a skinomi screen protector on Amazon for $11. Wet install by spraying solution on to screen protector. Worked great! Just don't use a lot of solution, just a little goes a long way!

shadow82x

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
S6 is using the latest Gorilla Glass. Why even use a screen protector. Its not required.
Are you serious? The screen still scratches very easy despite it being Gorilla Glass. Not from something like car keys, but from pieces of sand and dirt. My first (defective) phone, I decided to not use a screen protector and it gathered quite a few micro scratches in just a few days time. Along with the back glass.