What the? Phone did a complete reset on its own; all contacts and info lost!

JTiqui

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S6 Edge+ and this happened to me twice. I saw the option to disable the automatic reset after too many failed login attempts and did that after the first time. This was a couple of weeks ago. My phone reset again last night. All my apps redownloaded from the Play store and all my contacts were saved, but I had to reconfigure all of my email accounts and rearrange my home screens. Any advice on how to avoid this would be helpful. I had it in my pocket both times and took it out to a screen that asked me to select language. HELP HELP HELP

Nupe98

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
I am so glad that I found this site. I just experienced the same thing with my note 5. I set the password feature to finger recognition about two weeks ago. I wish I had research potential issues with using the finger recognition prior to activating that feature. My phone keeps reflecting these words, " To continue, sign in with a Google Account that was previously synced on this device. I enter the email and the password but the phone keeps reverting back to the same message. I called both Google and Samsung and they both informed me that I have to wait 72 hours after the password reset to attempt password login. Both companies said this is a security feature. YEAH RIGHT! If my life depended on this phone, I would be dead right about now. I am the first to say that I think that we are law suit happy in this country. However, after reading all the post on this matter, I can't help but wonder if I should contact a lawyer to see if this is a case for a potential class action lawsuit! It's been 72 hours and I still cannot get pass this step to use my cell phone. The helpdesk is a joke with both Google and Samsung!

Saige Martin

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
In response to the previous post my S7 edge did a factory reset after the latest software update and I have been without a phone for 24hours now because it asks for a synced Google e-mail account. When I input all my gmail info including the correct password I get a screen that states I need the owners email. I am the owner. 3 hours on the phone with Verizon and they tell me my password for Gmail is incorrect. Wrong. How do I know this? Because I can log in on my tablet. I hang up on Verizon and call back only to be told this is a known issue and I can have a refurbished phone mailed out in 3 days. No returns. I call BS. This is my work number. I run my own business. Unacceptable.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
What I don't understand is why they want to give you a refurb? You have a 1 year warranty on the NEW phone that you bought. Samsung should replace it with a BRAND NEW ONE. I've got 5 phones with verizon. Luckily I've had no issues. But if I did and they refused to replace with a new device while under warranty, I'd drop them in a heartbeat.

Posted via Android Central App

Patty Cobb

Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Re: Phone did a complete reset on its own.

My android keeps resetting to factory settings constantly all on its own. It erases my sd card, all of my play store apps, contacts, photos, everything. I've had the same phone 3 times b4 this one & they did the same thing. Were you able to find a way to fix this issue? If so will you help me? i've recustomized my phone but without a fix it will happen again soon. Thank you for any guidan'ce you can give me.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Phone did a complete reset on its own.

My android keeps resetting to factory settings constantly all on its own. It erases my sd card, all of my play store apps, contacts, photos, everything. I've had the same phone 3 times b4 this one & they did the same thing. Were you able to find a way to fix this issue? If so will you help me? i've recustomized my phone but without a fix it will happen again soon. Thank you for any guidan'ce you can give me.

See response in your other thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...making-factory-resets-itself.html#post5646114

WOLFGE1ST

Feb 3, 2017
Visit site
Happened 2x on my S6 Edge. Beyond pissed off. Lost many, MANY irreplaceable photos and videos. I'm so ******* angry about this ****.

jplater

Feb 11, 2017
Visit site
Did the latest updates a couple days ago. Today, I pulled my Galaxy S6 out of my otherwise-empty pocket and it had done a factory reset. I got zero explanation as to why this happened from the guys at Verizon and they were unable to get my phone back to were it was previously. I am now in the hunt for a data recovery company to regain about 1 months worth of lost images/videos/documents. Has anyone had success recovering?

aeroknot

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Bumping this thread up to 2017, my new ( one week ) S8 reset itself in my pocket a week after replacing an S7 that cracked its "gorilla" glass. Last operation was a phone call 5 minutes prior. Felt the heat from my phone in my pocket, pulled it our and saw the Verizon reboot screen. Next, "choose a language" the sign of death. Lost 3, 000 pictures, 2/3 were not backed up. Eventually apps and gmails and texts restored, but lost 2 years of photos, and many saved files. When you pay upwards of $1000 ( with insurance and accessories) for a phone, and it can mess up up that easily its time to looks for a different brand. Completely wiped the phone AND memory card to nothing. This was my third Samsung, probably my last. The Samsung rep in Best Buy said she had never heard of it happening before, and in any case should not have wiped the SD card. Bulls**t. After finding this thread it's been going on for multiple generations of galaxy's. Another rep said that it could have been set on the 15 attempt reset, but don't know if it was, and in any case how could the phone get the combos of keystrokes to attempt 15 unlocks in a pocket?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda6969