Music stops when browser or youtube on background or phone locked.

Peter2015

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys. I think the title of this thread pretty much explains it. If I am listening to the music from youtube app or the browser it plays fine until I minimize them (put on background) or lock my phone. Then music stops playing. I looked in the settings all over the phone how to make it to continue playing but couldn't find anything. Also is there a way to pull volume stop/play control on the lock screen?. I miss this feature as I had it on my iphone 6 and also on the iphone music continues playing regardless if apps are on a background or screen is locked.
thank you.

Mystikal777

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
As far as I know, you cannot set the default YouTube app to play in the background, the same with stock browsers. There is an app called Viral Lite which I use, it plays all YouTube Videos, you can change the video screen to whatever size you want and it plays the video as a floating video as well, plus it will continue playing when you have other apps open or if you are on your lock screen. Try it out.

GIyer

May 6, 2015
Visit site
The have a few downloaded MP3's on my SG 6 edge device. I use the native player to play these while driving. Everything works fine even when the phone locks. However i noticed when i get an email or a text message notification, the music pauses.I have to manually set it to play again. I also realised i cannot multi-task while the music is playing. I have to pause it first to be able to unlock the phone and browse etc.

Was never an issue with SG3. Not sure if this is a software bug or a setup issue.

Peter2015

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
hmm... interesting.. must be something in the settings? I disabled all native players (google and milk). I am personally using PowerAMP (awesome little player) so I can multitask with no problems. It's just I have a problem with playing from browser or youtube app

Mystikal777

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
The have a few downloaded MP3's on my SG 6 edge device. I use the native player to play these while driving. Everything works fine even when the phone locks. However i noticed when i get an email or a text message notification, the music pauses.I have to manually set it to play again. I also realised i cannot multi-task while the music is playing. I have to pause it first to be able to unlock the phone and browse etc.

Was never an issue with SG3. Not sure if this is a software bug or a setup issue.

Have you checked the stock music player settings to see if there is an option to continue music when notifications arrive? This shouldn't really happen by default, sometimes muting the phone will allow music to continue as the notification sound doesn't interrupt the music is playing. I have the PowerAmp Music app, which doesn't have any issues with notification interruptions, might be worth checking out to see if that might stop this happening.

Peter2015

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
As far as I know, you cannot set the default YouTube app to play in the background, the same with stock browsers. There is an app called Viral Lite which I use, it plays all YouTube Videos, you can change the video screen to whatever size you want and it plays the video as a floating video as well, plus it will continue playing when you have other apps open or if you are on your lock screen. Try it out.
thank you. I'll give it a try. However it is strange that there is such a weird limitation of all-powerful android OS whereas very-limited iOS has this feature built in to the system.

Peter2015

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
That's weird. My youtube not only plays in the background but there is also a lockscreen widget to control the music.

how do you pull the widget to the lock screen I couldn't find it anywhere even tried to google it. are you using fingerprint lock? maybe it is not available on fingerprint lock?

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
If you want YouTube music to play when the apps not up, you must have a play music subscription. It's included in the subscription. I have play music and can play YouTube music in the background.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 Edge via the Uncarrier

EngYoko

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
I have nexus 6 & the last update for YouTube but I cant use the YouTube as background while I'm using other apps but it does only work if I lock my screen !! By pressing the power button twice . can you help me !!

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I have the Note Egde and mine played in the background and had controls on the edge screen. But now it has stopped and I don't know how to fix it.

make sure you are still logged into your account on Play Music and are paying the subscription price It is a perk available to paid users.

E_Allen

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
They (google) took that feature out of viral lite, & removed every other app that plays Google videos with locked screen for monetary reasons aka greed.

Ikkuh

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site

No not any more. I guess Google doesnt want that anymore

Paul Dela Crz

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
Hmmmm, at least for me, I was able to get my YouTube running music while in the background if I accessed youtube.com from the Chrome app rather than the YouTube app directly. I think the YouTube website that runs on my Chrome app is up to date because it also has the interface with the semi-transparent black play bar. I'm not sure if this solution applies to you, but it's worth a try. This message has been sent via Galaxy Note 5 in case you were wondering.

James Kids

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi guy,

I have the same problem. but I found a application solve my problem a month ago. It's name is "Touch Lock - Touch Blocker "
I like running while listening to music everyday. now I always play YouTube video and lock screen when I running and haven't pausing on my pocket.

you can try to download the Touch Lock - Touch Blocker from Google Play Store

<<copy by google play store >>

► How to lock screen while watching youtube?
Step1. Choose your video and playing.
Step2. Drop-down the notification and tap the Touch Lock icon.
Step3. Ya, It's enable now !!!

tuneself

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
That's on purpose. Google doesn't want the user to be able to listen to music when YouTube app or YouTube in the browser are in the background. Google Play even rejected the update of my app once mistakenly thinking that I overcame this and let the users play YouTube in the background from my app. What I got from the Google Play support team is that it's not allowed because Google was/is going to make such a feature paid (monetize that way).

Search for "YouTube Music Key paid content on Android mobile devices", follow the first link in the search results. I hope it will explain everything.

PS Also, it is worth noting that Google has been kicking out all the apps which can play YouTube in the background. So even if you find one, most likely it won't be available (Google Play Store at least) soon.

Joe Garcia7

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Hey. Nah...after I had subscribed to Google play music...I went to YouTube and looked up a song ...exited and then it gave me a link that said: background play enabled
And I could go to settings and from setting it took me took a page labeled (obviously in the phones settings): Background and Offline

Of which it allows me to enable or disable "playback"..which is the background play setting...and this is all on my brand new galaxy note 5

PBRL82

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Music stops playing after phone locks

I have a note 4, and I always play Pandora thru car stereo but somehow lately after about 10 mins of screen timeout the app closes and quits playing. I made sure restrict background data was off for app and in data settings. I don't know what else to do to make it keep playing.

Freedom111

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Is this even legal? It seems like extortion. We pay for an own the phone. Playing music in the background should not be blocked by a company. Could be worth looking into. Enough is enough.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance