Hi all: i didn't have a Note 4 so i never bought the Gear VR for the Note 4. a friend did and told me that he enjoyed it for a week, showed it to many friends, lots of ooo's and ah's, and then, never ever touched it again!

there is absolutely no media/software for it, he said.

it's almost like getting a DVD player with only one single disc, and that disc only has like 10 previews of movies on it!

i'm tempted to get the Gear VR for my S6 Edge this Friday -- it is available this friday! on the other hand, i'd feel pretty dumb if i were to get it and, have the identical experience as my friend did, that is, ooo and ah for a week, and then have no new media/software.

what do you guys think?
    05-06-2015 12:03 PM
    Hi all: i didn't have a Note 4 so i never bought the Gear VR for the Note 4. a friend did and told me that he enjoyed it for a week, showed it to many friends, lots of ooo's and ah's, and then, never ever touched it again!

there is absolutely no media/software for it, he said.

it's almost like getting a DVD player with only one single disc, and that disc only has like 10 previews of movies on it!

i'm tempted to get the Gear VR for my S6 Edge this Friday -- it is available this friday! on the other hand, i'd feel pretty dumb if i were to get it and, have the identical experience as my friend did, that is, ooo and ah for a week, and then have no new media/software.

what do you guys think?
    Please do a search before making a whole new thread about something that was/is already discussed. I already posted about this awhile ago.

Post in this thread**
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho...d.php?t=520257

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-06-2015 12:49 PM
    Please do a search before making a whole new thread about something that was/is already discussed. I already posted about this awhile ago.

Post in this thread**
    Gear VR for S6/S6 Edge pre order started today - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Well, "your thread" is on S6 and I posted on S6 Edge. Btw, are you a mod for this forum?
    05-06-2015 02:38 PM
    Well, "your thread" is on S6 and I posted on S6 Edge. Btw, are you a mod for this forum?
    Sorry, didn't notice that.. And no, just letting you know 😉

05-06-2015 03:44 PM
    Sorry, didn't notice that.. And no, just letting you know ������

no worries. this is all fun stuff for all of us!

btw, with this announcement of the Oculus Rift's Consumer Gear VR pre-orders starting this year (2015), doesn't it mean effective that the Gear VR for S6/S6 Edge "Developers' Edition" will be essentially identical to last year's Gear VR for the Note 4, with the exception of: higher pixel density due to the S6/S6 Edge screen, built-in fan, and micro-USB port?

there will likely, from the sound of it, be no media or software to play on it, just like there wasn't any for the Note 4's Gear VR!

what a big bummer!
    05-06-2015 05:15 PM
    no worries. this is all fun stuff for all of us!

btw, with this announcement of the Oculus Rift's Consumer Gear VR pre-orders starting this year (2015), doesn't it mean effective that the Gear VR for S6/S6 Edge "Developers' Edition" will be essentially identical to last year's Gear VR for the Note 4, with the exception of: higher pixel density due to the S6/S6 Edge screen, built-in fan, and micro-USB port?

there will likely, from the sound of it, be no media or software to play on it, just like there wasn't any for the Note 4's Gear VR!

what a big bummer!
    Have you ever checked the Oculus store recently? There are at least tens of paid games and apps abailable now. Soon the winners of 2015 mobile VR jams will be announced with $1,000,000 awards in total.
    05-06-2015 08:37 PM
    ok, you guys have all gotten me psyched about getting mine this friday, may 8th.

however, i just tried to pre-order mine from bestbuy.com and it doesn't have an option for in-store pick up this friday!! it only has regular shipping (arrival next wednesday) or additional cost shipping (arrival next monday).

it's not that exciting to choose the "next wednesday" option, nor is it exciting to have to pay extra for getting it next monday.

does anyone know if bestbuy's brick and mortar stores will have it for walk in customers this friday, may 8th?

thx!
    05-06-2015 11:07 PM
    Have you ever checked the Oculus store recently? There are at least tens of paid games and apps abailable now. Soon the winners of 2015 mobile VR jams will be announced with $1,000,000 awards in total.
    thanks for the heads up. so...i went to oculus.com and tried to find their "store". i only found 3 products: 2 of those mask-like oculus hardware products, looks similar to the gear vr, but no place i can navigate to in order to find games, apps, or any media.

may i ask where i should go find the "oculus store" you wrote about?

thank you.

PS: is this what you meant:

https://share.oculus.com/category/to...Zmc2V0IjowfQ==
    05-06-2015 11:15 PM
    Was not interested until I seen this post but I will be at best buy ready to copp Friday morning..

I might return it just to test it out since best buy has a really great return policy...

05-06-2015 11:56 PM
    Oculus store = gearvr version of google playstore or applestore. To access it, you first need to have note4, s6, or s6 edge and compatible gearvr.
    05-07-2015 03:03 AM
    darn it: i won't get mine till monday.
    05-07-2015 11:15 PM
    Just got my tracking number... It will be here on Monday by the end of the day! 😎

05-08-2015 11:51 PM
    How is this not available on release date in store? Smart marketing occulus

05-09-2015 02:06 AM
    Can't wait to hear peoples views on this once it arrives.

05-09-2015 03:36 AM
    Monday for me too
    05-10-2015 04:53 PM
    as we all get closer to receiving our gear vrs, it would be nice to post "how to" hints.

for example, i didn't realize whatsoever that you have to have the gear vr plugged into your S6/S6 edge in order to unearth and unhide the various VR-related apps! i asked and asked, and finally someone told me that if you don't have it plugged in, those apps are hidden from you!

i have no idea how to begin, or even which apps are good ones to view, try, and which ones are "full" games or "full" apps, rather than a demo version. many folks have said that for their Note 4's gear vr, all they were able to get were essentially demo versions, which get dull really fast! it's like buying a new DVD player and all you have available to you in one single dvd disk and it's merely loaded with previews

thanks all in advance.
    05-11-2015 12:37 PM
    only spent like half an hour on it so far, but, as a complete and total vr virgin, all i can say is:

omg.
    shaneontherocks likes this.
    05-11-2015 06:28 PM