Are we getting used/broken Edge phones?

KRW1

May 9, 2015
Visit site
I wanted to talk a little bit about Verizon again pertaining to the Edge landscape failure / camera controls upside down and auto brightness glitches. I solved those issues by settling with a regular S6 which I'm very happy with. I say settled because that's what it is. I wanted the Edge but the chances of getting a glitch free one is not very good during this time period. And those chances may be getting slimmer and slimmer.

What I wanted to discuss is the possibility that I received a used Edge. I base that on two things: in my settings it showed a factory reset two weeks before I purchased it and when the phone was unboxed and set up it happened in the back room, out of my sight. My replacement phone was unboxed and setup in front of me and it did not have a previous factor reset in the phones history. If you are able too you should keep an eye on this not just with the Egde, but any phone.

I'm no expert but I believe you can't sell a used item as new, although I'm sure it happens a lot in all areas of retail sales. Many times when you buy things there is a factory seal on it and you have to break it to open the packaging. I don't know if the S6 boxes have factory seals or not. One way to overcome that is to ask to see the phone in it's box before you agree to buy it. My rep actually did do this without me asking before it went to the back room. I could have made a mental note of the last few digits of the IMEI first which appears on the outside of the box. Then when the phone came back I could have gone into the settings to see if it was the right one. If it was different my credit card would not have come out of my wallet.

Why would Verizon or anyone else do this? Probably because they know an update will come along and fix the issues and the phones will stop coming back. It's a business decision really. It's probably illegal but proving they are doing it won't be easy.

I'm not here to bad mouth the phone or the carrier. I'm here to give back to the community that helped me. The more information we have the better able we are to get whats fair and get what we paid for. Imagine paying hundreds of dollars for a phone and having a software patch bypass a hardware failure. It's not right. We pay too much money to be scammed. I paid over 1K for my phone (accessory package/grandfathered unlimited data). Even if I wrong about getting a used phone I think we still have to be aware of the possibility that people and businesses will take advantage of us if they are given the opportunity.

Some folks have two or three defective Edges. I wonder if the possibility of them getting phones that have already been returned are a factor. You can see why I settled and jumped ship to the non Edge S6. Getting out of the S6 Edge loop of disappointment was the smartest decision I've made so far with this purchase. And I have to thank all the commenters here for that.

Cajun_Fan

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Well I have a S6 Edge from Verizon, and I have done 2 factory data resets myself.

Yet when I check the status, I get unknown on the factory data reset. So I don't know how yours showed a date, and I who have done 2 since I got it, shows unknown.

Weird.

Pinhead117

May 3, 2015
Visit site
I would really like to know how you were able to check for the number of factory resets...I've never heard of how anyone could do that. Please explain.

Cajun_Fan

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
I would really like to know how you were able to check for the number of factory resets...I've never heard of how anyone could do that. Please explain.

Well on mine I went to Settings.

scrolled down to About phone and clicked it.

Then clicked on Status.

And on mine it is the third one down, says this:

Screenshot_2015-05-17-17-45-08.jpg

KRW1

May 9, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Cajun_Fan

Settings
About Phone
Status

I'm curious to see if anyone has a date there from before they purchased it like I did.

Cajun_Fan

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
You can't mine says 5-5-2015 and I just did an FDR today.

Posted via the Android Central App

It is strange that you get one even though it shows 5-5-2015, and I have done 2 FDR's in the past month and I get unknown.

Whatever it is checking, is not very reliable. If you get a date of 5-5 and you just did one on 5-17.

DSMpowerhousegroup

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I've bought 2 edges from Verizon, no issues. I wish we could find out how many of these have sold and the percentage of people having problems. I know of no one personally. Only hear it online. You always hear more from negative experiences versus good, because rarely have a reason to vent. Therefore a handful of bad experiences stand out, even if most experiences are good.

Posted via the Android Central App

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
If you are getting a phone replaced under the warranty window or the first 14 days its likely what you are getting is an opened, but never used device. Once a phone is activated it cannot be resold as new. I had an issue with my S6 and AT&T talked about new in box, return, never used, never active, etc. In the end I did get a brand new device but they did preface what could be sent.

katmandoo122

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, I'm not sure that you can ever know if you let them open the box out of your sight. The stink you would have to make may or may not be worth it. And, interestingly (or maybe not), on my T Mobile phone, there's no Factory data reset line in status, which makes me think it is a poorly implemented feature.

Karen Hildebrand

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Screenshot_2015-05-18-12-16-41.jpg

can anyone explain why my factory data reset says 01/01/13.. Have never done a factory reset and my edge was new out of box on April 10 2015. Im with Verizon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome