Where are my images saving if not showing in gallery

kattalyne

May 4, 2018
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Saving pictures from the Google app can be tricky sometimes. You can save them inside the the app from the search screen, but if you want to see the picture from the gallery sometimes you need a few more steps. Select the picture, open (visit) the page where it's included and then long press to download it.

But I got the notification something downloaded some where on my phone when I selected download image. Where is that? There's a few things in that secret location now. Images attached to see what I'm seeing and why I'm confused.
IMG_20180504_102544_524.jpg20180504_102745.jpg

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
But I got the notification something downloaded some where on my phone when I selected download image. Where is that? There's a few things in that secret location now. Images attached to see what I'm seeing and why I'm confused.

To be honest, I don't know :) Probably in a protected folder, as B. Diddy said. A bit later I could run a few tests on my phone and see if I can find the right location, but I'm not very confident about the results.

This is a weird thing about downloading from the Google app. You can try the steps I posted before or use Chrome, as B. Diddy said. Another possibility is of you open the picture from the download notification and then see if you can get more details from there, this is what I'll try later.

kattalyne

May 4, 2018
Visit site
To be honest, I don't know :) Probably in a protected folder, as B. Diddy said. A bit later I could run a few tests on my phone and see if I can find the right location, but I'm not very confident about the results.

This is a weird thing about downloading from the Google app. You can try the steps I posted before or use Chrome, as B. Diddy said. Another possibility is of you open the picture from the download notification and then see if you can get more details from there, this is what I'll try later.

I appreciate you looking into this.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I appreciate you looking into this.
Just to confirm what B. Diddy said, the picture is saved in /document and it can't be accessed even with a file explorer. It can be opened or shared just once from the notification, but it's basically lost after that.
IMG_20180504_133331.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yep, that's what I've seen as well. Again, I have no idea why Google does this. If you do the exact same thing, but starting from the Google website in Chrome, you won't encounter this problem.:-\

kato wolf

May 24, 2018
Visit site
Has anyone tried going to app permissions for google and making sure that the storage permission is selected. If not you make just be stuck on a rejected save loop.

Dyzal

May 27, 2018
Visit site
POSSIBLE SOLUTION!

I see that this post is old, however i recently had the same problem with my new Samsung Galaxy S9.

I asked my local Optus store why i couldn't save images and the guy I spoke to had the same problem and recommended using screenshots which isn't ideal. I contacted Samsung and using the 'smart tutor' app they looked at my phone and couldn't work it out. I slowly worked my way up their ranks til a solution was found.

Are you using a google search bar widget to take you to the internet? This could be it.
To check, go directly to the internet app or chrome app and trying downloading an image from there. Although my search bar opened chrome and I wasn't able to save images, I found that if i went directly to the chrome app then searched they would appear in my downloads folder. If you are able to save images this way then it too might be your google widget.

How do you fix it? simply put, you're most likely using the wrong one.

View attachment 284776

See this second google bar thats highlighted in blue? It has limitations and this is one of them, So how do you get the right one? Go to widgets - chrome - chrome search. Now try using it to download an image. I hope this works for you.

larthvader

Jun 12, 2018
Visit site
Just to confirm what B. Diddy said, the picture is saved in /document and it can't be accessed even with a file explorer. It can be opened or shared just once from the notification, but it's basically lost after that.
View attachment 283720

Exact same problem here. Can't find downloaded images from Google app. (Widget search bar i.e.)

The only way to access the files is from notification or Downloads apk (Documents 7.0)
See screenshot below.

So this make me think the documents are masked by this app, who acts as a downloader manager. But I can't understand why I can't access files on my own fckng phone.

But this Documents app is only 76kb so files are not stored in the app data files right?

This is driving me crazy for years.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-06-11-20-21-46.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-06-11-20-21-46.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 7

emmockladdie

Jun 17, 2018
Visit site
I'm trying to save picture messages from my default Samsung text messaging app and Google Chrome and they aren't showing in my album.. Instead going to download folder and once they are their I can't even share them. I got to screen shot It.. This wasn't happening before

There is an option in the settings for the android files app to 'filter small images' so anything under a certain kilobyte size gets ignored. Switch this off and hey presto all those Google search images show up because they are generally small low Res images. See if that works for you.

Jun 27, 2018
Visit site
One of the ways a file that is downloaded can 'disappear' is that the file manager hasn't got its lists of files refreshed. To find out if that is the case, here is a solution that at least works for me: Start Mozilla Firefox, type file:// and it will show the files (at least it does on my 8.0 tablet w/keyboard). Then explore--click on 'sdcard' and such. Firefox, unlikes the "Files" in Android, has a button for refresh (the circular arrow). But I'd appreciate if anyone knows the fastest & safest way to update the listing of files that the Files app give (it's not enough to 'clear cache' in it--perhaps reboot helps).

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
It saves in a temp folder that Chrome accesses. It's stupid.

The only way to save it properly now is to open the image in a new tab, then save it from there. DO NOT save it straight from the Google search results.

jcolma1979

Aug 20, 2018
Visit site
I have been having the same problem. Once you open it from the notification and then click on details it shows location as none. Basically it is a one time download that lets you share it from there and then nothing else.

Nonstopdrivel

Oct 20, 2018
Visit site
It's not entirely true that the pictures disappear forever. You can access them from within the Backgrounds app, at least on Motorola phones. But that's it. Of course, you can't edit them from within that app, or really do anything with them besides previewing them as a possible background.

roje federal

Dec 13, 2018
Visit site
Re: Where are mms images saved

How can you not save them if they're going to your download folder? If they're in that folder you can move them to where you want them with a file manager.

If these are photos from a Google image search, you may need to tap the three dot menu button, and select "view in page". Once the image reloads, you can long press and save it to your downloads folder.

Problem solved. Thanks. It's just that now we have to use Chrome app to get the downloaded images appears in gallery. Previously it can be done through search widget on our main screen.

Ltjessec

Jan 16, 2019
Visit site
I figured it out! The files are saving in the download folder. If you go to the gallery, go to the downloads folder. Then click up on the three dots on the top right of the page and select "Sort by". Choose "Date modified" not "Date created". This should put recently downloaded photos first in all apps.

Amberr1314

Feb 21, 2019
Visit site
I've done everything that all these groups have said to do yet my I still can't find my photos. I've noticed more than anything that when I try and save photos from and app it doesn't work for example like Pinterest or photogrid says the image had been downloaded but can't find them anywhere. I always have to just end up screenshotting everything but that's very inconvenient and annoying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz