WiFi Speed Test for Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge vs Note 4 vs Note Edge

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Normally they should always be the same -- On any of the devices in my house (Note 4, iPhone 6, iPad , Galaxy S6) they all pull the same speed if I do a speed test since they're technically using the same connection.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Do a speed test 10 times, one after the other, on the same device. You'll get 10 different results. If a few people who are buying commercial speeds, and are on the same cable you're on, are downloading huge amounts of data, your test might even time out. Same phone, same router, same internet connection. (A good provider won't sell more than the cable can handle - a cheap one will sell as much speed as people want to buy, whether thy can deliver it or not - as long as running a single connection gets the speed from them to you that you're paying for, they'll point to the "up to" part of the contract.)

The speed isn't determined by the device - a Note 3 can do 50mbps on wifi - it's determined by the speed of the path from the phone to the testing server (unless you're using a VERY old phone, but I don't think the microTAC had wifi - or any data - capability). From your video, I'd say that something in the path is getting hit hard intermittently, so you get those breaks and wild swings. The only valid test of the phone's wifi speed is to use a router with a thruput (not a burst speed) of at least 5 times the speed you're looking to test, and have the speed server (capable of at least gigabit Ethernet speed) connected to the router by Ethernet.

Testing from, say New York City to Moscow, wll give you a totally different (and terrifically slower) speed than testing from New York City to a server located at your internet provider's office.

(The other thing to bear in mind is that unless you're downloading a file from a server almost close enough to spit at, your maximum speed is going to be a bit over 2mbps these days. That's how fast the internet runs. So having a 100mbps connection, and a phone capable of 15mbps downloads, is only meaningful if you're doing 6 or 7 downloads at once and there are 6 or 7 other people doing the same on your router. Running a 100mbps connection with a computer capable of 100mbps downloads won't speed up your download from that server half a continent away. When my wife games on her computer and I download gigabit files on mine, at the same time, neither one of us is slowed down with a 20mbps connection - because, at most, we're using 5-6mbps bandwidth, and more probably no more than 3 or 4mbps.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glda19