OS update after rooting

thman558

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys,

New to this forum.. Anyways I received the AT&T update today and I tried to install it, however i got a pop up saying the installation failed. I currently have my s6 edge rooted. I was wondering what the work around is?

Posted via the Android Central App

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Flash the stock firmware to unroot.

Hey guys,

New to this forum.. Anyways I received the AT&T update today and I tried to install it, however i got a pop up saying the installation failed. I currently have my s6 edge rooted. I was wondering what the work around is?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
An update is supposed to "Fail" (actually just stop and end) if the ROM isn't the stock ROM or it's rooted. Updating in either case can brick th phone. (Even updating a phone that was once rooted, then unrooted, can brick it, because changes cvould have been made to some files while it was rooted that would cause it to brick on update.)

You have to flash the stock ROM, then accept the update. (And you can only update once every 24 hours. If you try to get an update sooner than that after the last one, you won't. I don't remember if AT&T tells you to try again in 24 hours, or just tells you that there's no update available, it's been a long time since I accepted an update. Lollipop isn't getting anywhere near my phone until a lot more bugs have been fixed - and maybe not even then.)

thman558

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
An update is supposed to "Fail" (actually just stop and end) if the ROM isn't the stock ROM or it's rooted. Updating in either case can brick th phone. (Even updating a phone that was once rooted, then unrooted, can brick it, because changes cvould have been made to some files while it was rooted that would cause it to brick on update.)

You have to flash the stock ROM, then accept the update. (And you can only update once every 24 hours. If you try to get an update sooner than that after the last one, you won't. I don't remember if AT&T tells you to try again in 24 hours, or just tells you that there's no update available, it's been a long time since I accepted an update. Lollipop isn't getting anywhere near my phone until a lot more bugs have been fixed - and maybe not even then.)

Whet can you find the stock room? Will it wipe my phone?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. Since SamMobile doesn't have the AT&T ROM, try the S6 Edge forum on XDA Forums. Someone there may have a stock ROM already uploaded to Mega (or some other file site) or they can upload one for you.

2. See [Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN (and be prepared to die of boredom). BTW, the first time you start the phone after installing a ROM it can take 10 minutes or more just sitting on the logo before anything happens. Start the flash going, then go do something for about an hour. Or wait for the phone to reboot, then go do something. Staring at the phone won't make it start up faster.

3. Yes, you'll have the same phone you took out of the box - no Google account, no pictures, nothing. So back everything up first - see Backing up an Android Device.

thman558

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Been searching threads for the AT&T stock Rom for the S6 edge, but no luck finding a legit one. The one I found was from a recent YouTube video, however i got the binary failed pop up. Anyone have any luck unrooting their ATT S6 Edge?

Cajun_Fan

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Just out of curiousity, would a factory data reset done the same thing as flashing a stock rom? Or would it still have restored the root parts when it did the reset?

thman558

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Just out of curiousity, would a factory data reset done the same thing as flashing a stock rom? Or would it still have restored the root parts when it did the reset?

Honestly I'm not sure, but I didn't want to risk tripping Knox so I ended up flashing the device twice. You flash the stock firmware then the CVC file and it worked like a charm! Installed the AT&T update this morning with no issues

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12