Hello,

I am a new Android user with a Galaxy S6 Edge.
    My phone has been getting pretty good battery usage up until maybe a few days ago.

The only thing I did was to sign up/sign in to Google Play (with my gmail address, etc) so that I can download apps.
    I have not downloaded any new apps yet nor have I don't anything different from when I purchased. I haven't played games on it, listened to music, or watched videos. Just casual internet browsing, making phone calls, using instagram….

A few days ago, I realized that battery was completely drained, screen was black and would not turn on. I panicked thinking my phone conked out because I don't recall using my phone to the point where I thought I used up my charge. I connected my phone to my charger and saw that battery % was at 0% and needed recharging. I found that odd. Since then I've been monitoring my battery % and it decreases very quickly.

Ever since, I have been doing research on here and on the web. Disable Google Apps, Disable Now Cards, disable location services, turn off sync for google apps, lower screen brightness…..
    if I continue disabling or turning off features of my new S6 #dge, I feel like I will just have a phone that can only receive calls and make outgoing calls (# any old flip phone will do - LOL)

I checked to make sure I have the new Samsung Push App installed/updated (which - if I'm not mistaken was supposed to take care of some of the battery draining issue…) etc.

Just want the readers to know that I'm not posting here blindly without trying to do my own research.

…but so far nothing seems to be working.

I don't have any music, or new apps - and contact info, I can input again without a problem - basically there isn't much on my phone that I can't put back in once the phone is reset.

I would like to know if it will hurt my smartphone if I did a factory reset - to see if that will help with my battery drainage issue.

Just would like to know if there are any other common downfalls to doing a factory reset, and if any of the experienced android users know if samsung is still working on this issue or if there is anything else I can do to improve the battery drainage issue.

Thank you in advance!
    05-25-2015 04:07 PM
    Do the factory reset. I did one after the recent update. Everything is turned on and I am getting about 33 hours on acharge.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Green Galaxy likes this.
    05-25-2015 05:54 PM
    Do the factory reset. I did one after the recent update. Everything is turned on and I am getting about 33 hours on acharge.

Wow...can you post some screenshots of that? I've never heard of anybody getting battery life like that! The time is remarkable and so is the fact you have everything turned on!

I've had my S6 for almost 2 months now since the Day 1 pre-release on April 1 and pretty consistently average a very poor 12-14 hours on battery with 2.5-3.5 hours SoT. Like the OP, I have shut down a bundle of some of the S6's best features (no WiFi calling, no VoLTE, no Google synching for almost all services, Location Services off, no widgets, no haptic feedback, no edge screen services, no NFC, no Motions & Gestures, no Facebook updating, etc.).
    05-25-2015 07:43 PM
    This has been a worse than usual day because I had to go work inside a jail. Coverage sucks and battery life is made worse inside all that concrete and rebar.Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge - Battery Drainage Issue - Factory Reset?-4397.jpg

05-25-2015 08:55 PM
    This has been a worse than usual day because I had to go work inside a jail. Coverage sucks and battery life is made worse inside all that concrete and rebar.

Looks really solid! What's your SoT so far today?
    05-25-2015 08:59 PM
    it seems that most of the android phone meets that issue.Terrible.
    05-25-2015 09:10 PM
    Screen on time has been light today. Only an hour and 20 min. I tend not to play with my phone too much when surrounded by people in handcuffs and others with tazers (lol). Gotta stay on my toes.

yyy999deba: what issue? What's terrible? Not having a problem? Troll?

Techno-guy likes this.
    05-25-2015 09:20 PM
    So factory reset may just do the trick then right?

How long did it take to reset?

Battery is still draining like crazy. Just recharged - turned on the phone and it went to 99%. Then literally about 10 minutes later, 98%.
    This is ridiculous…….
    05-26-2015 12:54 AM
    Depends on how many apps and complex your setup is. For me, a couple hours. YMMV.

05-26-2015 02:03 AM
    Exactly same issue is with my phone
    this is sooo bad
    i first time bought android s6 n look what trouble i am into
    07-09-2015 11:28 AM
    Post up a screen shot of your battery usage.
    Let's see what's using it.
    Should be pretty simple to figure out.

Fred

So factory reset may just do the trick then right?

How long did it take to reset?

Battery is still draining like crazy. Just recharged - turned on the phone and it went to 99%. Then literally about 10 minutes later, 98%.
    This is ridiculous…….
    07-09-2015 07:13 PM
    Here are screenshots of mine today, and it's still going.
    I'm going to easily get 5 hours of SoT today with probably about 23 hours on battery when I'm finished later tonight.

Fred
    Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge - Battery Drainage Issue - Factory Reset?-screenshot_2015-07-09-20-27-40.jpg
    Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge - Battery Drainage Issue - Factory Reset?-screenshot_2015-07-09-20-27-33.jpg
    Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge - Battery Drainage Issue - Factory Reset?-screenshot_2015-07-09-20-27-11.jpg
    07-09-2015 11:44 PM
    my battery stats from yesterday

3 hours 35 mins with 23 hours total and that was with 8% left so i know i would of likely got around 4 hours and maybe a day if i let it run all the way down

all this was with my gear S on all day.
    07-10-2015 03:31 AM
    Well I did a factory reset and now the battery is not draining like before. The only thing I did was sign up for Google Play (originally when the battery started draining) and didn't even download any apps from it when the trouble started. So now, with the reset, I no longer can get into Google Play - and am afraid to sign up = can't get any apps.

When I checked the use details, the biggest usage was from Google Apps. If I ever gather courage to sign up again to get apps, I will post screen shots. At this point, my S6 Edge is used…as a phone, to check weather and to surf the internet….. *sigh* Not what I had hoped for when I bought the Edge.

Post up a screen shot of your battery usage.
    Let's see what's using it.
    Should be pretty simple to figure out.

Fred
    07-12-2015 03:59 PM
    You may have had everything sync'ing to your goggle account also, most likely.

Fred
    07-12-2015 04:59 PM
    I may give Google Play another try since not being able to download apps is not fun LOL

What do I need to do to make sure that my google account does not sync everything?
    Better yet, where on my S6 Edge do I need to go - to make sure they do not sync?

You may have had everything sync'ing to your goggle account also, most likely.

Fred
    07-13-2015 04:23 PM
    Settings->Accounts then click your Goggle account and uncheck most syncing

Fred
    Green Galaxy likes this.
    07-13-2015 06:57 PM
    This has been mine today. Not sure what I should do, you think a factory reset will help improve battery life or am I just screwed at this point and need to carry a charger with me wherever I go?
    Attached Thumbnails Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge - Battery Drainage Issue - Factory Reset?-1436989670016.jpg   Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge - Battery Drainage Issue - Factory Reset?-1436989678862.jpg   Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge - Battery Drainage Issue - Factory Reset?-1436989687312.jpg  
    07-15-2015 03:49 PM
    Well, based on what you show and what your estimated remaining time is at your current use rate, you'll get maybe well over 4 hours SoT.
    You have 2 hours of SoT at your current use rate with 3 times longer estimated to go yet

Fred
    07-15-2015 09:20 PM
    Today i did factory reset on my s6 edge and i have 96% of battery and aprox usage of battery is 9 hours 36 minutes. How is it possible?
    Attached Thumbnails Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge - Battery Drainage Issue - Factory Reset?-screenshot_20170407-233656.jpg  
    04-07-2017 05:47 PM